Liverpool thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlikely in my opinion. Most of the multi-winners in Europe got a good bunch of titles during the period when the competition was in its original formats to boost their tallies, and it's unlikely any team is going to be able (or be allowed) to dominate in such a way, now that so many teams have so much money. Winning the original format was an achievement, in my opinion, but it was similar to the league and FA Cup in terms of prestige in a club's season. The different European cups were of a very similar stature too, well the EC and the ECWC were at least. The overseas teams seemed to take it more seriously because their domestic competitions were quite commonly dominated by one or two teams for many years.

We've underachieved in the CL, that's for sure. Unlucky at times, self-destructive at others, but this competition is not the same as the one 20 years ago. When unfavoured teams began winning the old format (during England's ban) "they" decided it needed changing and the CL was born. The same will happen again now that all their attempts to prevent us challenging have failed.
It is unlikely but Real Madrid have won it 4 times in the space of 5 years recently and not all of those were achieved with a vintage side by their standards or even with a manager considered to be world class. Look at when Chelsea won it - they managed it when they were least expected to. On the one hand, it's quite conceivable that we go another 5-10 years without winning the CL or we break our duck and then win another 2 or 3 in a short space of time, and all of a sudden we're level or ahead of United and not far behind Liverpool.

I wouldn't mind but the 6 times thing, while worth bragging about, isn't something that has ever bothered me. I've always seen it as something personal between them and United fans and besides, I was cheering Liverpool on in some of those European Cup/CL triumphs (not the last one mind!). However, Liverpool fans need to be careful about spouting off to City fans about those 6 European Cup/CL trophies because it could bite them on the arse sooner than they think. Back in 1993 when United won their first league title in 26 years putting them on 8 league titles compared to Liverpool's 18, the following season at Anfield Liverpool fans famously unveiled a banner proclaiming: "Au Revoir Cantona and Man United....come back when you've won 18!". And that's exactly what United fans did - a lot sooner than Liverpool fans could ever have imagined too. It would take United just 16 years to emulate those 18 league titles of Liverpool's, and 18 years to surpass it.

Unlikely in my opinion. Most of the multi-winners in Europe got a good bunch of titles during the period when the competition was in its original formats to boost their tallies, and it's unlikely any team is going to be able (or be allowed) to dominate in such a way, now that so many teams have so much money. Winning the original format was an achievement, in my opinion, but it was similar to the league and FA Cup in terms of prestige in a club's season. The different European cups were of a very similar stature too, well the EC and the ECWC were at least. The overseas teams seemed to take it more seriously because their domestic competitions were quite commonly dominated by one or two teams for many years.

We've underachieved in the CL, that's for sure. Unlucky at times, self-destructive at others, but this competition is not the same as the one 20 years ago. When unfavoured teams began winning the old format (during England's ban) "they" decided it needed changing and the CL was born. The same will happen again now that all their attempts to prevent us challenging have failed.

Madrid won 4 in 5 years. I’m pretty confident we’ll have a run of two or three in so many years.

It is unlikely but Real Madrid have won it 4 times in the space of 5 years recently and not all of those were achieved with a vintage side by their standards or even with a manager considered to be world class. Look at when Chelsea won it - they managed it when they were least expected to. On the one hand, it's quite conceivable that we go another 5-10 years without winning the CL or we break our duck and then win another 2 or 3 in a short space of time, and all of a sudden we're level or ahead of United and not far behind Liverpool.

I wouldn't mind but the 6 times thing, while worth bragging about, isn't something that has ever bothered me. I've always seen it as something personal between them and United fans and besides, I was cheering Liverpool on in some of those European Cup/CL triumphs (not the last one mind!). However, Liverpool fans need to be careful about spouting off to City fans about those 6 European Cup/CL trophies because it could bite them on the arse sooner than they think. Back in 1993 when United won their first league title in 26 years putting them on 8 league titles compared to Liverpool's 18, the following season at Anfield Liverpool fans famously unveiled a banner proclaiming: "Au Revoir Cantona and Man United....come back when you've won 18!". And that's exactly what United fans did - a lot sooner than Liverpool fans could ever have imagined too. It would take United just 16 years to emulate those 18 league titles of Liverpool's, and 18 years to surpass it.

This.

As a young lad/ teenager I also recall cheering on the British sides in Europe in those days.

Things are a lot more bitter nowadays unfortunately.

I'd say the Real Madrid run is just a freak set. Upto the early eighties, teams seemed to win 2 or 3 titles in a row but that's very rare since. It'd be nice to win it, but it takes a bit of luck along the way now, because you cannot avoid the form teams like it used to be able to do. Winning an average of one every five years would be some ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.