Liverpool Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is it is now impossible to discuss this matter rationally because LFC fans play the Hillsborough card and pretend to be/or actually are outraged, upset, emotional, or whatever.

The truth is back in the day, pre-Hillsborough, football was in a bad way because of football fan behaviour. No one, absolutely no one, was perfect. Every single team had fans who misbehaved, and that definitely includes City. Liverpool and United had absolutely shocking records, which stood out even in the context of the times. (There were others who stood out too, but I'm not trying to draw up a league table.)

I think the issue is now that most clubs' fans would agree that back in the day they had some absolute cnuts in their numbers. Not everyone who went, by any means, but some. LFC make out that their fans, uniquely, were saints. This is what sticks in the craw. We know the truth. They know the truth. They know that we know the truth. But no one in the media will acknowledge it because if they do they will be bombarded with complaints, and accused of mocking the victims of Hillsborough.

My memory of that terrible day in Heysel is a little bit hazy, so please feel free to add to/correct my recollection.
The march was shown on terrestrial tv, no sky back then.
Before the match started, the fans rioted.
I had no thought that anyone would be killed, the sight of battling fans was not uncommon in those days, nobody had been killed before.
So events progressed and the area near the goal was turned into a place where the 'injured' (who were actually dead) could be attended to.
The commentary team included Mike Ingham who summed up the events.
From my own point of view, I am fairly sure that only one death was confirmed (possibly two).
Heaven knows what was going on behind the scenes!
Because the death toll seemed to be 'only 1 or 2' the match was given the go ahead.
To me, this decision was completely wrong, the match should have been called off.
R.I.P. the 39.
I seem to recall that UEFA decided that the match should go ahead, as they feared what Liverpool supporters would do, were it to be postponed or cancelled.

Exactly. Tinderbox there as it is. Add us to the equation I'd hope the club would demand it moved.
Nah they don't mind us. Go over there a fair bit, mostly Kusadasi and Ankara but gone to Istanbul a fair bit as well and they're fairly well disposed towards City fans. Basakhser (sp) in Istanbul are quite fond of us too. We wouldn't get any trouble we didn't go looking for. Dippers? Different story.

Nah they don't mind us. Go over there a fair bit, mostly Kusadasi and Ankara but gone to Istanbul a fair bit as well and they're fairly well disposed towards City fans. Basakhser (sp) in Istanbul are quite fond of us too. We wouldn't get any trouble we didn't go looking for. Dippers? Different story.
It's more the dippers triggering them and some blues caught in the crossfire being blamed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.