Liverpool Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dippers got off lightly regarding Heysel , the intial ban was indefinite , then reduced to 10 years and subsequently just 6 years , they got one more year than the rest of UK teams for murdering 39 people.
Cannot understand how UEFA can allow a football club back into europe after murdering innocent fans , its beyond comprehension , but the most nauseating thing is how the Dippers revel in their history and consider themselves "european loyalty" , Dippers dont do responsibilty , respect , conscience or humility.

Ah yes, the self-proclaimed European Royalty badge.(8 European/CL cups behind Real Madrid)

If you ever go to Anfield and stand in the away end all you will see throughout the match from Liverpool fans in the main stand opposite is reference to 6 European/CL cups via fingers and thumbs held aloft.

Yet when murders is sang to them they all look away, heads down, shaking their heads, and gesturing angrily towards the away fans.

Liverpool fans have erased Heysel form their memory on purpose. And only get reminded of it when away fans remind them of murdering 39 Juventus fans. If away fans stopped that chant, which some people want, Heysel would be forgotten about, which is what Liverpool fans ultimately want.

Last edited:
What I don't get is Everton were singing a song about Heysel which was 100% about it. In 2008 a section of away fans at the Merseyside Derby sung " 2-0 to the murderers ". They claimed it was their way of reclaiming the tag in much the same way United sang Munich. But how do they think any Juve fans would have felt hearing that song.
If we're going to educate people on Hillsborough then I feel we also need to recognise the reality of Heysel.

What I don't get is Everton were singing a song about Heysel which was 100% about it. In 2008 a section of away fans at the Merseyside Derby sung " 2-0 to the murderers ". They claimed it was their way of reclaiming the tag in much the same way United sang Munich. But how do they think any Juve fans would have felt hearing that song.
If we're going to educate people on Hillsborough then I feel we also need to recognise the reality of Heysel.
In the 90's the MIBS used to shout "come on then, we are Munichs " ........daft red cunts.

When we actually did they shit it. (although they always say they never run and no one ever turned them over.

Tony Evans puts it all down to the potato famine, if it wasn't for the potato famine then Liverpool fans wouldn't have rioted.

Strange logic I know but there it is.
He also blames it on the crumbling stadium - which is a fair point as at one stage they appear to be throwing part of it down onto the Juve fans below. This from a man who touts himself as a serious journalist.

He also blames it on the crumbling stadium - which is a fair point as at one stage they appear to be throwing part of it down onto the Juve fans below. This from a man who touts himself as a serious journalist.
Earlier this year I re-posted something on this subject that I had originally written just over 4 years ago.

Given the current discussion on various journalists' outputs, including the ridiculous Tony Evans, I think (I hope?) it's worth posting yet again, especially as it was contemporaneous with Heysel and its aftermath. It was also penned by one of our most respected sports journalists* ever, Brian Glanville. (* and that's not a phrase I use all that often these days!)

Perhaps Evans et al might want to do a bit of research before sounding off with their blinkered opinions and attempts to present a revisionist narrative on events that those of us who were also around at the time remember very, very well indeed..

"For your interest, herewith Brian Glanville's take on the matters of behaviours evidenced by Liverpool supporters and the media. This reflects the article you quote by Tony Evans (no relation!) and is taken from Glanville's book 'Champions of Europe; The History, Romance and Intrigue of the European Cup' (1991), some six and two years respectively after Heysel and Hillsborough. Glanville writes:

"As a club, Liverpool, alas, were not remotely matched by their notorious supporters.

Among these there was beyond doubt a core of decent, largely middle-aged, peaceful, pleasant fans, who would share the mature, sensible attitudes of the club itself.

There were also, as fans from other clubs all over the country knew all too well, thousands of brutalised, violent toughs, whose excesses had been known for many years.

When the detested Manchester United went to Anfield shortly before Heysel the city had seemed awash with hatred. Coaches and trains of United’s supporters were stoned. Mechanics would run out of garages to scream abuse at the coaches as they went by. When United, just a few weeks later, came once more to Merseyside to play Liverpool, this time in the FA Cup semi-final at Goodison Park, Liverpool’s supporters were firing flares into the Manchester fans’ sections.

Quite where Liverpool’s following had gained its spurious reputation for good conduct with a blinkered press was obscure.

But then, journalists see little or nothing from the Press Box, nothing of what goes on, often sinister and violent, in the surrounding streets and alleys, at railway stations. Unless they are privy to good, first-hand information, journalists accept the public, distorted image; in this case, a misleadingly benign one.

Nor would it be enough to say that violence among Liverpool fans could be explained by unemployment, the crumbling and deliquescence of a doomed city given the behaviour of Everton’s fans, in Rotterdam for the Cup Winners’ Cup Final two weeks before, which had been exemplary."

Last edited:
It almost certainly won't happen, but theoretically Liverpool could by 15th by the world cup break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.