Liverpool Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its the 'long to reign over us'' line that i can't stomach...we are all equal aren't we? I wont boo
.just keep my counsel ..that's the beauty of free expression though...imagine being in North Korea being made to sing it..madness
On Saturday I sang: “Long to Reign Over You”. Not sure they heard my valiant efforts at the other end, but maybe it will catch on.

My dad had a green grocers in Moss Side back in the 60’s. It was an immigrant area and his customers were either the tail end of the Irish influx or, in the main, from the West Indies. All good folk one and all.
My dad catered for those from the West Indies by stocking mangoes, yams, cooking bananas, sugar cane etc. Fruit and veg that wasn’t generally available from the wholesale markets in those days.
Thus he’d order it and buy it directly from the docks - but the cost of the extortion / backhanders demanded at Liverpool meant that he’d drive to Felixstowe or London to get his stock - and that was in an ex-post office Commer van in the days before motorways, so it was a major undertaking every time.
He’d rather do that than pay a tribute to the scouse gangsters - it makes me especially proud for him every time I remember that, and makes me remember why I can’t stand the feral scouse.
I have a lot of time and admiration for that level of moral fibre and stubbornness............. :-)

My dad had a green grocers in Moss Side back in the 60’s. It was an immigrant area and his customers were either the tail end of the Irish influx or, in the main, from the West Indies. All good folk one and all.
My dad catered for those from the West Indies by stocking mangoes, yams, cooking bananas, sugar cane etc. Fruit and veg that wasn’t generally available from the wholesale markets in those days.
Thus he’d order it and buy it directly from the docks - but the cost of the extortion / backhanders demanded at Liverpool meant that he’d drive to Felixstowe or London to get his stock - and that was in an ex-post office Commer van in the days before motorways, so it was a major undertaking every time.
He’d rather do that than pay a tribute to the scouse gangsters - it makes me especially proud for him every time I remember that, and makes me remember why I can’t stand the feral scouse.
Fantastic story.

Sure it wasn't an "Asterix" van and not a Commer van! :-)

I use to work in his factory, of course Mrs Thatcher put a stop to that sort of thing.
Can't ever forget what Thatcher did to Greater Manchester..miss managed decline..it was tge will of the people here who stuck 2 fingers up to tge establishment and dragged the City back up..no help from the tories or right wing press.. gunchester headlines mocking us made it much harder for attracting investment. The North West was fucked over..not just unique to da pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.