Liverpool Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use to work in his factory, of course Mrs Thatcher put a stop to that sort of thing.
Don't think you can blame Thatcher for manufacturing decline in western countries like the UK .
It happened in all of them, even here in Oz we used to make shit.
Our labour costs can't compete with China and Asia sweat shops.
Thankfully we don't have 13 year olds working 10 hour days.

I used to work in Ordsall back in the 80s, so the Daniel Adamson Road I remember was just near to Weaste bus depot and Mode Wheel Road.
I never knew who he was until about 10 years ago.
I’ve just read up on him, I’d never have thought I had a tenuous link to him, seems his home at one point was “The Towers” in Didsbury, which later became “The Shirley Institute”, the place my Mother was actually named after ( her Dad worked there for decades).

Anyway, she actually hated the name Institute and changed it as soon as she was 18.

Don't think you can blame Thatcher for manufacturing decline in western countries like the UK .
But some countries have lost a lot more than others.

Manufacturing job decline as a percentage of working age population: 1990 to 1999
Figure21.png

Manufacturing job decline as a percentage of working age population: 2000 to 2009

Figure11.png

From here.

Obviously a lot of the decline continued for a long time after Thatcher and started before her, but the fact is that the UK has been in freefall for most of all of our lives compared to somewhere like Germany, where the number of manufacturing jobs (if not the percentage) has remained fairly stable.

DaFHVhRUQAADLr-.jpg

You can squarely blame her for encouraging a london centric service industry...built on sand..leaving the North to rot. No inward investment planning, utilising manufacturing and mining skills we had in new tech. That came later in spite of her! She was a nasty piece of work ...short sided knobhead in my humble opinion

You can squarely blame her for encouraging a london centric service industry...built on sand..leaving the North to rot. No inward investment planning, utilising manufacturing and mining skills we had in new tech. That came later in spite of her! She was a nasty piece of work ...short sided knobhead in my humble opinion
Typical tory really. I dont understand this slight lean to tge right the country has...football, music used to be followed by those who had that little bit to say about the inbalance..Rugby was tge preserve of the privillaged
Can blame 'her' for lack forsight and appetite to help northern industries transition to tech and green. That came later Thatcher didn't give a fuck about maximising our manufacturing and mining skills. Typical Tory, she was happy to prop up a shite service industry bias..centred on voters in SE. Football and music used to be the platform to rebel a bit against this..They had rugby..nowadays..well...its sad

Typical tory really. I dont understand this slight lean to tge right the country has...football, music used to be followed by those who had that little bit to say about the inbalance..Rugby was tge preserve of the privillaged

Rugby League is a working class game though, was it never big in Manc then? Big teams across the north west and Yorkshire but you only seem to have Salford who don't lead the way in the same way your football clubs do.

Rugby League is a working class game though, was it never big in Manc then? Big teams across the north west and Yorkshire but you only seem to have Salford who don't lead the way in the same way your football clubs do.
Gtr Manchester its huge..Wigan, Salford Leigh Oldham etc

Sports in general have been taken over by the middle classes, happy clappy amphitheatres and a labourer not within sniffing distance ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.