Liverpool Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's difficult for me because when it comes to Liverpool (the city, the people, the football club, and a very large percentage of their followers), I become like them - a narrow-minded, hypocritical bigot.
With (almost) everything else in life I like to remain open minded and objective. I like to hear alternate opinions on things and I like to learn (I say 'almost' but I've no time for either religion or feminists).
So trying to be easy-going and getting along with people is important to me: we're none of us perfect and we've all made fuck-ups of our lives somewhere down the line so I could never be judgmental about my fellow men.

However, I really do have to draw the line at scousers.

In all my years of life (and there has been a few!) I have never met one single scouser that I've liked or felt a connection with. To a man they have all been dishonest, untrustworthy and downright treacherous. Every single one.
I don't like to say it because obviously not all scousers are that way inclined, there may well be a few that are decent, down to earth, honest and reliable, but I have never met them.
I've been in the music business all my life and I've played some big venues, recorded in some famous studios and met some fantastic people (getting exceedingly drunk with Denny Laine was one memorable moment in my life), but every scouser I've met - celebrity or not - within a couple of minutes of meeting him I've wanted the thump him.

It's just bizarre that in all walks of life you meet good and you meet bad, but in all my limited experience of philanthropy all the underhanded, sneaky, two-faced people I have ever had the ill fortune to chance upon have been scousers.

Apologies to all you decent, likeable scousers out there, but if I'd only met any of you for just a few seconds maybe my biased view of you all would not be so negative.
Your entitled to your opinion but I know of sound scousers ( red and blue) and even musicians. There are some horrible people everywhere and believe you me I avoid scousers probably more than you at times. I moved away from Liverpool in the 80s and have lived all across the coast from Devon to Kent and people are people I find, it's how you relate to them I find. Scousers do have a bad reputation in many places but as I found in Sussex some can't differentiate between a Mancunian and Liverpool accent.
I'd say the Liverpool accent stops around Kirkby/Huyton but I know of lads from Warrington who are thought of as scousers when people hear them.

Us City fans not living in Manchester properly will start getting more stick for being glory hunters. My lads get and the oldest is 25.

Years ago it felt like I was the only southern voice at Maine Road lol.
My son was born and bred in Edinburgh, lived here all his life - still has a NorthWest accent though. And still wants gravy on everything. You need to go to elocution lessons to re-engage with the Manc in you...

He is just giving his opinion, which he is entitled to do.
Ok, again, where did I say that I hate all scousers? Can anybody quote me as saying that I hate all scousers...NO!
I am speaking from my own viewpoint and that is that the scousers I have met I haven't liked. Does anybody seriously think I would hate the entire populace of a city based on a few individuals that I didn't get on with?

If and when I meet a Liverpudlian that I like then I will have to say I've only met one that I like.

I was actually on a non football forum recently where they have sub forums linked to sport and other topics. On the sport forums, the City thread is on 26 pages, Rags up at 250 pages while the Liverpool FC one has a whopping 5,700 pages so I decided to take a peek. Checked out the 10 most recent pages and there's not much debate about the football on it. Just page after page after page of Tories, Tories, Tories and how they've cheated Merseyside over the decades and even one savaging Sunak for not advocating more lockdown which would have saved more Scousers lives.
They really are absolutely beyond help.

Ok, again, where did I say that I hate all scousers? Can anybody quote me as saying that I hate all scousers...NO!
I am speaking from my own viewpoint and that is that the scousers I have met I haven't liked. Does anybody seriously think I would hate the entire populace of a city based on a few individuals that I didn't get on with?

If and when I meet a Liverpudlian that I like then I will have to say I've only met one that I like.
No disrespect mate but you've hated every one you've met so far. You don't sound the most liberal person to me, I lived in Kent for a few years and met some great people. You say you work in the music business and I have had great nights out with musicians and been backstage with quite a few. Even the scouse bands were sound except for maybe one - but that was more about the band dynamics than the man himself.

No disrespect mate but you've hated every one you've met so far. You don't sound the most liberal person to me, I lived in Kent for a few years and met some great people. You say you work in the music business and I have had great nights out with musicians and been backstage with quite a few. Even the scouse bands were sound except for maybe one - but that was more about the band dynamics than the man himself.
The ones I have met have given me cause to dislike them - intently. No need for details because it is very very personal to me, but it is true.
The reason I mentioned Denny Laine is that he once said he absolutely hated scousers, but that was back then in the 80's and he was well drunk: he'd had some trouble with McCartney over the royalties for 'Mull of Kintyre.' When he'd calmed down a bit he admitted he was being irrational.
My grievance with the scousers I've met is simply because of the personal thing I touched on.
As I've stated before, I haven't met that many scousers so I wouldn't be so stupid as to judge them all by the ones I have met.

Anyway, I'm a Beatle fan so I couldn't possibly dislike them all!

My son was born and bred in Edinburgh, lived here all his life - still has a NorthWest accent though. And still wants gravy on everything. You need to go to elocution lessons to re-engage with the Manc in you...

My missus says I move from saff to manc accent often plus tells me of for doing the manc walk !

I wish I still had a manc accent it would have been a south manc accent from didsbury ( not the posh end, fog lane end lol )

Always reminds me of the classic Only Fools and Horses episode with the guy like Roy who couldn`t pronounce his "r"s and singing the hit by Roy Orbison "Cwying".
I know a fellow who fancies himself as a singer and he got up at a local karaoke event some time ago. He also couldn't pronounce his 'r's. But the song he chose to sing was the Beatles 'It Won't Be Long,' so he had to sing: 'If you don't tweat her wight my fwend' instead of 'If you don't treat her right, my friend.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.