Liverpool Thread - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. Long story. I've told it before. Made my choice as a 5 year old. 45 years ago. I've stayed with it through the good and the bad (though I was a season ticket holder at Boro in the Juninho Ravanelli Emerson days) especially since moving to Aus in 2006. Now I'm actually a bit fanatical. Never miss a single game even though most are on between midnight and 5am. There is a huge Liverpool following in Melbourne. You'd be surprised at how knowledgeable your average Aussie bloke down the pub is when it comes to the EPL.
Littlewoods supporters don’t have a fucking Scooby what "bad times" are.

To be honest it will only be the older fans it will bother.. was a red fan all my life and am local too but my tipping point came around about when SKY took over and everything I loved about the club slowly ebbed away.
For me supporting a club is all about identity and when a club no longer represents the town or City it plays in or the people it’s supposed to represent then it becomes a franchise much like Pizza Hut or Burger King,, you stop being a fan or a supporter and then become a customer or client.. listen I am on the outside and really enjoy watching City play and some of my fav players last 15 years or so have been City players.. Aguero.. David Silva and ofcorse big YaYa was so happy you did the treble last season and took that achievement away from United and hopefully winning four leagues will also take there three in three years away too...
I would love to be able to ask you older City fans in years to come what do they think about there Club and loss of identity and wether they think it was all worth it.
About the time you stopped being the most successful club.
Must be a coincidence of course.

Last edited:
You may turn out to be right in the long run but I would suggest that City are very different to Liverpool FC. Sheikh Mansour has invested hugely in the city of Manchester helping to regenerate one of its poorest districts. His company, in partnership with the local council has spent hundreds of millions building houses, new schools, new community facilities and infrastructure. This has created thousands of jobs and hundreds of new businesses. The club has always had strong local roots but has never been as embedded with our local community as it is now.
It is a very different business model to the asset stripping one chosen by Fenway Group and other US tycoons like the Glazers. Of course Sheikh Mansour's primary motivation has been to produce wealth (despite all the fake stories about City being state-owned) and so far he has made a huge profits from his investments in the club and the wider city.
At present I am happy to give our owner the benefit of the doubt.
The problem won’t come from the sheikh or local fanbase it will come from Out of Town, foreign and tourist fans.. what happend with Liverpool was we had a very very strong local support much like Citys.. you have all seen the old Kop swaying and singing to the Beatles on the old BBC clip in the 60s.. when the success came in the 70s and 80s the City unfortunately suffered from hardship like a lot of other towns and City’s across the country and fans struggled to afford to go.. this is when Liverpool were at there height winning Leagues and old European Cups.. attendences averaged about 34k.. the old Chief exec And chairmen started lifting the Clubs skirt to overseas support and that’s why the club are so big in Norway, Ireland and Scandanavia.. when SKY kicked off the interest went through the roof.. no standing up meant fans had to pay extra for a seat which priced out locals further and brought in even more outside fans.. there was a recent survey done and it was found out of Liverpool’s average 54k attendence only 6.5k had local postcodes... local kids growing up in the city can’t go to watch Liverpool so they support Everton or maybe Tranmere as they can go and actually watch them live... each Saturday or Sunday when Liverpool play you will see dads taking there kids to there local pubs with there football shirts on to watch the match and when you get to Anfield you will be lucky to hear a scouse accent.. listen I really really hope it’s doesn’t happen to you and you manage to keep your local identity but am afraid success makes it impossible.. gloryhunters will always follow and want to be associated with winning brands... we will see anyway..

The problem won’t come from the sheikh or local fanbase it will come from Out of Town, foreign and tourist fans.. what happend with Liverpool was we had a very very strong local support much like Citys.. you have all seen the old Kop swaying and singing to the Beatles on the old BBC clip in the 60s.. when the success came in the 70s and 80s the City unfortunately suffered from hardship like a lot of other towns and City’s across the country and fans struggled to afford to go.. this is when Liverpool were at there height winning Leagues and old European Cups.. attendences averaged about 34k.. the old Chief exec And chairmen started lifting the Clubs skirt to overseas support and that’s why the club are so big in Norway, Ireland and Scandanavia.. when SKY kicked off the interest went through the roof.. no standing up meant fans had to pay extra for a seat which priced out locals further and brought in even more outside fans.. there was a recent survey done and it was found out of Liverpool’s average 54k attendence only 6.5k had local postcodes... local kids growing up in the city can’t go to watch Liverpool so they support Everton or maybe Tranmere as they can go and actually watch them live... each Saturday or Sunday when Liverpool play you will see dads taking there kids to there local pubs with there football shirts on to watch the match and when you get to Anfield you will be lucky to hear a scouse accent.. listen I really really hope it’s doesn’t happen to you and you manage to keep your local identity but am afraid success makes it impossible.. gloryhunters will always follow and want to be associated with winning brands... we will see anyway..
You make a fair point and there is a risk this could happen at City. But at the moment City are still bending over backwards to support local schools and community groups in the poorest areas. The campus itself is packed with community groups all the year round. City Football Club have replicated this public/private model across the world in some of the poorest countries. For example the new stadium in New York for New York City FC will be attached to a huge affordable homes project in a poor district of Queens (not Manhattan). This is the model CFG are following everywhere including Manchester where they are working alongside the council. The national press coverage about City's ownership has been distorted and dishonest(with a large dose of racism) but those who live or work in the Manchester area know the truth.
Of course football itself is now incredibly globalised and none of us can predict the future. What I do know from working in Liverpool for seven years at the height of Liverpool FC's 1980s heyday is that the club treated the local community and residents very badly (post Bill Shankly) and did very little compared to both Everton and Tranmere. And I honestly believe the current owners FSG are just as bad as the Glazers who have done virtually nothing for the local community in Greater Manchester. Time will tell if I am being over-optimistic.

Last edited:
Yeah. Long story. I've told it before. Made my choice as a 5 year old. 45 years ago. I've stayed with it through the good and the bad (though I was a season ticket holder at Boro in the Juninho Ravanelli Emerson days) especially since moving to Aus in 2006. Now I'm actually a bit fanatical. Never miss a single game even though most are on between midnight and 5am. There is a huge Liverpool following in Melbourne. You'd be surprised at how knowledgeable your average Aussie bloke down the pub is when it comes to the EPL.
I’ve a theory (doesn’t apply to everyone) ex pats, fucking twats. You like a lot of others fuck off to leave other members of the family to take responsibility for the people you were brought up with. In some cases it’s understandable and I can’t tar everyone with the same brush but to say Dipper fans in Australia are really knowledgeable is fucking ridiculous, watching on TV and repeating views from Social Media and that toxic and disingenuous site Rawk doesn’t make you knowledgeable, now fuck off, ffs a Teeside Dipper.

I’ve a theory (doesn’t apply to everyone) ex pats, fucking twats. You like a lot of others fuck off to leave other members of the family to take responsibility for the people you were brought up with. In some cases it’s understandable and I can’t tar everyone with the same brush but to say Dipper fans in Australia are really knowledgeable is fucking ridiculous, watching on TV and repeating views from Social Media and that toxic and disingenuous site Rawk doesn’t make you knowledgeable, now fuck off, ffs a Teeside Dipper.
*Waves*

Probably not that mate to be honest. I've had Parkinsons for the last 10 years. Cant play sport any more to the standard I used to. Watching the Premier Leagie is about as good as it's gonna be for me.
So sorry about that mate, all the best to you and your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.