Liverpool Thread - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get your point, but the thing about always scoring in the last few minutes is that, at some point, they won't and then they drop points. Remember Arsenal last year? Forever fluking last minute winners until they didn't and the inevitable City run reeled them in.

We, on the other hand, have been unlucky conceding last minute levellers and we are still just two points behind (I know). It will change, and our draws will become wins.

We have got this.
I’m betting on us, no problem. However, Klopp is considerably less conservative in replacing attackers and pushing hard to the last minute.

I hope “reversion to the mean” occurs, but we’ve been leggy towards the end of games, whereas they’ve had readily available, quality replacements on the bench to deliver, as Jota did last night!

Been a while since I was here...(yes a pool fan)

1. Yes we got away with a fortunate pen last night (and yes I hear you when you say 2, I can't agree there but I see you POV)
2. I thought we played quite good
3. No I don't think we're good enough to win the league but we're less rubbish than some others.
4. I think almost all teams in the PL have been shafted by VAR, and also been lucky with VAR. we have both, and in my humble opinion City has had both too. Who is better off as a result is a topic I won't broach.
5. Just on a basic level its nice to have a title race. I'm sure you won't agree with me! :)

1. Yes we got away with a fortunate pen last night (and yes I hear you when you say 2, I can't agree there but I see you POV)
3. No I don't think we're good enough to win the league but we're less rubbish than some others.
4. I think almost all teams in the PL have been shafted by VAR, and also been lucky with VAR. we have both, and in my humble opinion City has had both too. Who is better off as a result is a topic I won't broach.
5. Just on a basic level its nice to have a title race. I'm sure you won't agree with me! :)
All pretty fair (save #5) though I do think Liverpool are good enough and City have gifted points to opponents to this point. Having the return fixture at Anfield during what will be a gauntlet for City in March is an advantage for you. I will say that if Jota had to go down there his confidence in front of goal must be worse than I would have suspected (and I think he thought maybe his angle was too tight, so he flopped -- plus he was at home so knew the crowd would scream for a call). I did think the first pen was one -- maybe a tad soft, but a pen.

Answer me these couple of points.
1. Why did Jota go down/dive? He had a tap in waiting for him. All it did was make him look like a cheating twat*.

2. Why did you, as a team, feel the need to cheat? You had that game in the bag; don't give me that "we were only 1 up" nonsense. Newcastle weren't going to equalise. You absolutely battered them. Wasn't it the highest xg in a Premier League game?

*credit where due, mind. Extra points for my FPL team with that Salah penalty. Just a pity the scruffy twat missed the earlier one!

Liverpool fans across social media saying that Taylor was against them for not booking Joelinton.

All saying that all refs and media are against them for not calling it out.

So even though two blantant dives were given as penalties they are forever the victims.
Gomez should have been booked inside the first 10 minutes for hacking Gordon down, bet they aren't moaning about that.

Answer me these couple of points.
1. Why did Jota go down/dive? He had a tap in waiting for him. All it did was make him look like a cheating twat*.

2. Why did you, as a team, feel the need to cheat? You had that game in the bag; don't give me that "we were only 1 up" nonsense. Newcastle weren't going to equalise. You absolutely battered them. Wasn't it the highest xg in a Premier League game?

*credit where due, mind. Extra points for my FPL team with that Salah penalty. Just a pity the scruffy twat missed the earlier one!
1. Point taken. Benefit of the doubt makes me ask if you've ever been ankle tapped in rugby, or similar. When you're flat out it really doesn't take much at all, and if you watch the slow mo you can see that it does actually make his stride completely off balance, but in my mind he definitely chose to go down. I think the tap took his stride out, and he knew the ball was running too far and down he goes.

Not a confidence thing for him, he's in very good scoring form.

2. Cheat?....yes that pen was soft, but it was far, far from the softest given this season, and as you say, we were winning it anyway. And refer to above, we're assuming a blatant, no contact dive which it wasn't (again, I don't think we'll agree there) The barcodes goalie played a stupid game, he won a stupid prize. what always makes it easier in a situation like that (for the ref) is that it's one on one in on goal. Any foul will almost definitely be a pen, regardless of severity.

If your question is, 'why do the players go down so easily?' then that's another thing.

If those incidents happened outside the box would you be ok with it being a foul? I think that's where a lot of division lies. In my mind, players go down lightly because there's no reward for being hero, staying in their feet and getting hacked to peices, but a penalty is often too harsh a punishment.

For the record, I'm not defending diving or going down lightly, it's extremely poor to see and completely against the game ( and I'm well aware our players have done it) - just playing devil's advocate for debate purposes:)

It's probably the worst Liverpool team on paper since Klopp took over imo so the fact they are top at this point is an achievement in it's self and I will try not begrudge them if they do end up winning it, despite how difficult their fans will make that - they will have deserved it.. They have a tough run coming up, it will show what they are made of, they look very shaky at times, poor defensively and Nunez up front, I just can't see them pulling it off this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.