Liverpool thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst beating Bournemouth 1-0, at home, thanks to a goal that it's generally accepted should have been chalked off for offside, isn't exactly all that impressive, a win is a win, and Liverpool have 6 points, and 2 clean sheets. You shouldn't really underestimate a newly promoted side, certainly not in the first few weeks of the season. Remember the year Cardiff were in the Prem, we lost 3-2 at their place in their first home match of the season. They were well up for that, and put in a hard working performance. If we'd played them 3 months into the season, when the fight had been drummed out of them, and they'd suffered a few defeats, I'm convinced we'd have won comfortably.

Having said that, I think Liverpool's issues from last season haven't really been addressed in full. Benteke is a good player, but he's direct, and that's not Liverpool's style. Firmino is an unknown quantity, Milner is hardworking but unspectacular. They've not strengthened the centre half area, so are relying on Lovren and Sakho improving, and referees continuing to ignore Skrtel's wrestling moves. I still believe Liverpool, when everything has panned out, don't have the squad to finish top 4.

He's right. Promoted teams come out the gate hyped as they should. You take the points. Hard to make judgement about an entire season from game to game, you'd get whiplash. Better to assess things after chunks of games to identify trends, form, etc.

For us, thing is last season was such a low bar it's almost impossible not to do better--but even better might not be good enough.

65 points, maybe even as low as 60 will get a club 4th this season

65 points, maybe even as low as 60 will get a club 4th this season

Is it poor teams at the top, or the mid-table is just better?

Interesting to see players like Cabaye, M'Villa, Shaqiri, Rondon distributed around the league rather than being bench players for top 10 teams.

Is it poor teams at the top, or the mid-table is just better?

Interesting to see players like Cabaye, M'Villa, Shaqiri, Rondon distributed around the league rather than being bench players for top 10 teams.

It's not deluded bollocks, but I expect us to achieve 85-90 points
Then Arsenal and Chelsea to scrap it out inconsistently and finish on 75-80
Which leaves fourth up for grabs where Liverpool through being a hard working team will battle it out with the rags
Mid table teams such as Stoke, Southampton, Palace, Spurs etc, will , as we've already seen, be taking points pretty much off everyone as they're all very similar standard
I've no doubt we'll come a cropper on more than one occasion

I was thinking about this the other day. I was born in the early 80's when Liverpool were in their pomp. The first World Cup I can remember is italia 90 and my memories of league football unfortunately begin with United dominating the premier league.

I don't have any memories of Liverpool being a top side, they've won cups during my footballing life and of course the champions league but to me that was like Porto winning that time, basically a bit of a fluke/shock. They've managed to mount 2 genuine titles challenges in 25 years which is pathetic when you think that they are a so called massive club with world wide support.

A lad who was 10 in 2005 probably won't have any memories of Liverpool winning the champions league, so that's anyone under the age of 20 now. Anyone in their early to mid 30s won't have seen Liverpool as a top side. Their average finish since 2005 is outside the top 4.

To put it bluntly, Liverpool are basically irrelevant in modern day football and unless they turn it around quickly and cement themselves back in the top 4 and start mounting title challenges again they will continue to slip away.

I was thinking about this the other day. I was born in the early 80's when Liverpool were in their pomp. The first World Cup I can remember is italia 90 and my memories of league football unfortunately begin with United dominating the premier league.

I don't have any memories of Liverpool being a top side, they've won cups during my footballing life and of course the champions league but to me that was like Porto winning that time, basically a bit of a fluke/shock. They've managed to mount 2 genuine titles challenges in 25 years which is pathetic when you think that they are a so called massive club with world wide support.

A lad who was 10 in 2005 probably won't have any memories of Liverpool winning the champions league, so that's anyone under the age of 20 now. Anyone in their early to mid 30s won't have seen Liverpool as a top side. Their average finish since 2005 is outside the top 4.

To put it bluntly, Liverpool are basically irrelevant in modern day football and unless they turn it around quickly and cement themselves back in the top 4 and start mounting title challenges again they will continue to slip away.
Beating 3 fantastic sides to that "fluke" cup win in Juventus Chelsea and AC milan while unseeded,maybe you were to young to remember that champions league that year,and from 05-09 we knocked out some big clubs especially the el classico sides home and away :) ,got to another final and 3-4 semi finals and were ranked as the number one team by uefa for 2 season's.You as a city fan with your outlay would have loved half of that the last 5 years you have been in the CL,and no doubt would love a "flukey" final win.

We might not be winning trophies now but today some clubs fans new with success seem to use liverpool as the yardstick to measure themselves with about what constitutes success,when you and chelsea match and over take our trophy haul then we'll be irrelevant and be like Villa & Everton,but until you do we will be in the news and continue being that yardstick for you to emulate.also in your view what constitutes a "so called massive club", is your club one now?

Beating 3 fantastic sides to that "fluke" cup win in Juventus Chelsea and AC milan while unseeded,maybe you were to young to remember that champions league that year,and from 05-09 we knocked out some big clubs especially the el classico sides home and away :) ,got to another final and 3-4 semi finals and were ranked as the number one team by uefa for 2 season's.You as a city fan with your outlay would have loved half of that the last 5 years you have been in the CL,and no doubt would love a "flukey" final win.

We might not be winning trophies now but today some clubs fans new with success seem to use liverpool as the yardstick to measure themselves with about what constitutes success,when you and chelsea match and over take our trophy haul then we'll be irrelevant and be like Villa & Everton,but until you do we will be in the news and continue being that yardstick for you to emulate.also in your view what constitutes a "so called massive club", is your club one now?

If you honestly think Liverpool are used as a yardstick by fans of other clubs to measure themselves against, I fear for your sanity mate!

It pains me to say it, but if there is an english club that others measure themselves against, it's them lot from Trafford! You can't be a yardstick when others have surpassed you, ya great dope!

Anyway, shouldn't you be at Cilla's funeral?

shouldn't you be lighting candles for cilla .

I do agree with your fluke win though,you weren't flukey and yes I would love a flukey win, as for being the yard stick,your in the same boat as ajax as a European super club has been ,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.