Liverpool thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He seems to manage by force of personality, but whether there's any substance next season will tell. The honeymoon is over.
I look at that Liverpool team and think it isn't too far off where I would expect it to be in the league in terms of the players they have especially when you factor in the Leicester anomaly which has pushed everyone down a position. I think he did well to get to the Europa League final at all with that team. We will find out how good he is in the transfer market this summer because no matter how good a manager he is in terms of motivation and tactics, they aren't going to challenge for the title without a much better squad.

First 3 yeah but not the last 3 imo.
Haha, you're joking right?

Sevilla is debatable but you can't believe Liverpool are a better side than us and the year Dortmund lost to Bremen was the year they were bottom of the league at Christmas and Bremen were flying.

First 3 yeah but not the last 3 imo.
We are a better team than Liverpool (although we keep trying to prove otherwise). That said, they only lost on penalties.
Sevilla are rapidly becoming masters of the EL

There's only the Bremen final where they'd might be favourites (and even that was in a very bad season for Dortmund)

There's no fault line with major finals. He's been playing better teams, pure and simple.
The likes of Mourinho have been with some of the best teams around, although the Milan CL win was exceptional.

I think he's great manager, and only been at Liverpool for 6 months. He'll improve them dramatically. Not sure it will be enough to win leagues though - but that's because they've lost a lot of pulling power and are down the pecking order these days, not because he's a poor manager.

The Inter CL win was unexpected but not exceptional, they had a top quality team at that side dominating a Serie A much superior to the current day incarnation.

The Porto CL win was exceptional.

I look at that Liverpool team and think it isn't too far off where I would expect it to be in the league in terms of the players they have especially when you factor in the Leicester anomaly which has pushed everyone down a position. I think he did well to get to the Europa League final at all with that team. We will find out how good he is in the transfer market this summer because no matter how good a manager he is in terms of motivation and tactics, they aren't going to challenge for the title without a much better squad.
Agree 100%

May 2012 – German Cup - Dortmund 5-2 Bayern
May 2013 – Champions League – Dortmund 1-2 Bayern
May 2014 – German Cup – Dortmund 0-2 Bayern
May 2015 – German Cup – Dortmund 1-3 Werder Bremen
Feb 2016 – Capital One Cup – Liverpool 1-1 City (City won 3-1 on penalties)
May 2016 – Europa League – Liverpool 1-3 Sevilla

Losing 5 finals out of 6 doesn’t sound great but he’s arguably been the underdog in every single one of those games. People are reading far too much into that one statistic in my opinion. Klopp’s done very well to get Liverpool into two finals having taken over midway through the season. Yes, their league form has been inconsistent at best but he’s trying to implement new tactics with players that aren’t necessarily ready for or suited to them and his best striker has been injured for the majority of the season.

I’m sure he’ll improve their squad over the summer and given their lack of European football, they should at least challenge for top 4 next season, if not more.

The German Cup final 2015 was against Wolfsburg not Bremen.
And Dortmund in 2012 had won all the direct duels against Bayern and won the league, too. The "moment" was all for Dortmund - they weren't the underdog then.
2013 they were.
2014 Dortmund was slight favourite that year. Dortmund had their full team whereas Bayern had big injury problems with Schweinsteiger and Alaba out, Ribery not starting and having big back trouble, Martinez with his first match after being injured nearly the full season. Bayern played Rafinha as left full back and 18-year-old Höjbjerg as left fullback. And after Lahm got injured after 20 minutes Pep substituted in Ribery (who actually should only have played max. 30 minutes) and Kroos and Götze played the central midfield.
2015 was about 50/50

I don't think it's a disgrace that Klopp lost any of those cup finals given the quality of the opposition but you can make a case that, given his reputation, he ought to have a better record than 0-5 in his last 5 finals. Also, while we had the better team on paper he'd already masterminded a 4-1 win over us a few months before the League Cup Final and generally made our team and manager look like mugs that day. However, when it came down to it I was pleasantly surprised to find that we were comfortably the better side on the day and we really shouldn't have allowed it to go to penalties, let alone extra time.

I do think Klopp is a good manager and 2 Bundesliga titles in the space of 3 seasons is very impressive but I think the increased competition in England will mean he will find it more difficult to land a league title over here (Pep won't have it easy either IMO) and it's worth noting that since he left Dortmund they've improved tremendously on his last season there.

Nicked off Rawk. Where did it all go wrong?

I genuinely would prefer United to finish in the top four.

1. Guardiola cherry-picking his next club, only for them to miss out on qualifying for the Champions League is hilarious.
2. The fans don't deserve Champions League football.
3. Sterling playing in the Europa League whilst we play in the Champions League is also hilarious. It's also the only time he will actually get to play.
4. Van Gaal will stay.
5. United will get dumped out at the group stage, again. That's if they even manage to qualify. Pretty much guarantees hilarity for next season.

Now I won't be openly supporting United to win, far from it. But I don't mind seeing it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.