Liverpool V City post match discussion.

hgblue said:
Or he was making a point about squad depth to someone?
Do you seriously think he'd risk defeat just to make a point to someone ?

I think it was purely about rotation to get more players match fit, but he underestimated the importance to Liverpool of getting a result in Rodgers first home game. I'm with de niro in that we should be picking the best 11 available, and playing them in the positions they are good at, therefore Lescott and Silva should have started, meaning no need for 3 5 2, you could even have played Kolo and Kolorov in that team by using Kolo at RB and Kolorov ahead of Zab on the left, with De Jong in there Yaya could be played further foreward too, unfortunately that would have meant Milner missing out, and I probably would have started with just Tevez up front, but hey ho, a point gained anyway for me.

MCFCDroylsdenBlue said:
Anyone who went who sat in block 124, did you hear some man shout Chelsea top of the league? He was sat infront of me, noticed he had a cockney accent but didn't think anything of it. When me and mate were walking out of the exit, he kept shouting things about Chelsea and everyone was just like wtf :/.
That could well be one of my mates, though he might take exception to the "cockney accent" bit. He's been a blue since he was a kid, his dad (RIP) was a Chelsea fan, but a season ticket holder at Maine Road. He shouts "Come on Chelsea" as a piss take.

cleavers said:
Brendan110_0 said:
but we were behind and forced the mistake to get a point which we didn't get last season.
Just to be a pedant, we drew there last year 1-1.

Should never have been a free kick either.

Yes, post edited for accuracy...............that's sky's fault for jizzing on about Carrol's two goals against us the other year lol

tolmie's hairdoo said:
It is always a case of extremes these days, due to the very nature of the hyperbole that exists around the Premier League, especially early on, when everyone expects teams to hit the ground running.

There's a rush to panic because of rare precedents, set by Mourinho teams which raised the bar, ourselves, last season.

However, if last season taught us anything, and we should thank United for this, they are still the benchmark in terms of rolling with the punches, staying the course.

Yesterday, was a carbon copy of last season at Anfield. Decent passing or so for the opening 20 minutes and then the home side engaging us much higher up the field.

It's a measure of how far we have come, and how far Liverpool have dropped, they are talking in such glowing terms of Liverpool, their best efforts and all, and what I considered our most disjointed performance in a good while.

Factor in a 3-5-2 system change which can never really work without Clichy involved, still feeling the gears, optimum fitness, it was a get-out-of-jail-free result.

More encouraging for me, more than anything else, was how Silva and Dzeko impacted the game.

Dzeko stayed much more central, allowing Tevez to buzz around him, instead of running off down blind alleys.

And Silva, much more like it, keeping the ball until he was ready, instead of passing the buck, or attempting the killer pass every time.

Rodwell also looks like a player who is attempting to step up to the mark and showed great intelligence and awareness to cover the line from Carroll's late header.

Hopefully, Bobby will recognise that while 3-5-2 seems to be the increasing trend in international football, the pace in this league is not suited to it.

This in a nutshell. I personally didn't think we played that badly yesterday given the circumstances so eloquently expressed by Tolmie above. I mean how many clear chances did Liverpool actually create? Certainly not as many as they created against us last season.

Admittedly, Bobby made a mistake yesterday, but it's to our credit that it took a momentous performance from Liverpool just to grab a draw.

And Tolmie....please save the Transfer Forum....it is so depressing in there now.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
It is always a case of extremes these days, due to the very nature of the hyperbole that exists around the Premier League, especially early on, when everyone expects teams to hit the ground running.

There's a rush to panic because of rare precedents, set by Mourinho teams which raised the bar, ourselves, last season.

However, if last season taught us anything, and we should thank United for this, they are still the benchmark in terms of rolling with the punches, staying the course.

Yesterday, was a carbon copy of last season at Anfield. Decent passing or so for the opening 20 minutes and then the home side engaging us much higher up the field.

It's a measure of how far we have come, and how far Liverpool have dropped, they are talking in such glowing terms of Liverpool, their best efforts and all, and what I considered our most disjointed performance in a good while.

Factor in a 3-5-2 system change which can never really work without Clichy involved, still feeling the gears, optimum fitness, it was a get-out-of-jail-free result.

More encouraging for me, more than anything else, was how Silva and Dzeko impacted the game.

Dzeko stayed much more central, allowing Tevez to buzz around him, instead of running off down blind alleys.

And Silva, much more like it, keeping the ball until he was ready, instead of passing the buck, or attempting the killer pass every time.

Rodwell also looks like a player who is attempting to step up to the mark and showed great intelligence and awareness to cover the line from Carroll's late header.

Hopefully, Bobby will recognise that while 3-5-2 seems to be the increasing trend in international football, the pace in this league is not suited to it.

This seems like a really good, measured analysis

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Another measure is how getting a draw against us is now almost considered a win by fans of teams like Liverpool.

tolmie's hairdoo said:

You cop a lot of criticism in the transfer thread, but I always find your posts to be very considered and intelligent.

hgblue said:
Or he was making a point about squad depth to someone?
There's absolutely no way Roberto did this.

Is there?...surely not?!

If he did he needs disciplining. That is unacceptable behaviour.

But there's no way he did...surely?! Why risk it? One point, even one goal, can be the difference between first and anywhere else. He wouldn't have been that stupid.

Possibly a lone voice on this one (haven't read all 60+ pages) but I was happy with a point and would have been before the game. Did not fancy us one iota prior to the game. Against Southampton and again yesterday we look very complacent.

Biggest compaints in the game for me were:

1) harsh freekick against Rodwell - ball smacked his legs and bounced up onto his elbows, but it was given and we move on.
2) Aleks Kolarov - if that's the standard he has set for himself this season, then he shouldn't be putting the shirt on again. Woeful performance.

cleavers said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Another measure is how getting a draw against us is now almost considered a win by fans of teams like Liverpool.

And their manager..

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.liverpool.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=291479" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.liverpool.vitalfootball.co.u ... p?a=291479</a>

says it all really..Rodgers "we were incredible"... It was a home draw ffs.

After the first 25 mins or so we were poor yesterday, of the starting XI only Tevez was anywhere near "champions standard", the rest were varying degrees below par. It was a very good point in the end but I'm sure Mancini will have had a few words to say about the general performance.

We certainly cannot keep giving cheap goals away as we have done in the last 3 games, we won't get away with it every time. I've no idea what kind of crazy marking system we employed at that corner but why was Yaya stood near the penalty spot without a Liverpool player within 5 yards of him when he should have been helping to block Skrtel's run. It's all very well blaming Kolarov but he should never have been designated to mark Skrtel in the first place. That goal was a throwback to Hughes-era defending.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.