LMA Manager of the year - Rodgers

strongbowholic said:
What's all this love for Pulis? Don't get me wrong, he's done a very good job turning round Palace's season but he wasn't even in the job a full season? Or am I missing it completely here?

I think you may have answered your own question there mate.
Putrid Pulis will never make my Christmas card list, but as a relegation firefighter he knows his onions, and that's why he got the nod, because before he came they looked like a dead man walking.
And that comeback against the mourners deserves recognition, if nothing else.

strongbowholic said:
What's all this love for Pulis? Don't get me wrong, he's done a very good job turning round Palace's season but he wasn't even in the job a full season? Or am I missing it completely here?
They looked dead and buried when he took over, many tipped them to finish with the Premier League's lowest points total. He took them to 11th, finishing with 45 points. Pulis got 38 of those points from 26 games, that return spread over a season would have seen them finish on 56 points, level with Southampton.

Rodgers has had a really good season, though only the scousers could get so carried away with the chip on their shoulder that they they turn the season into a disastrous failure and their captain into the "butt" of a "cheeky" song. Pulis has done a remarkable job, there's no denying that. But Pellegrini was new to English football, got off to a pretty dismal start away from home (4 points from the first 18) but ends up winning 2 of the 3 domestic prizes with a grace and impeccable manners which are the envy of the world. And he wasn't even nominated for either award...

I'm surprised rogers ain't having a open top bus parade for himself, him winning this is getting more coverage on sky than city winning the league,

has any Manager before won a domestic double and not won MOTY ?

Re: LMA Manager of the year

FantasyIreland said:
A great choice,he's clearly head and shoulders above Pellegrini.

I imagine there will be plenty of candles on the celebratory cake.

be a bugger lighting them amongst all those crocodile tears though

People have, yet again, been sucked in by the Liverpool media bias. I'd be surprised if the voting for this wasn't done a few weeks back, when most of the managers were being told that Liverpool had the title in the bag, and City didn't even warrant a mention from anyone. Fast forward to present day and you've got a manager with a squad worth in the region of £200m who doesn't win anything being named manager of the year, over all 4 divisions. Ahead of Pellegrini, a manager with an embarrassment of riches, but also 2 trophies. Ahead of Sean Dyche, a man with virtually no money to spend and a squad tipped for a relegation battle, who has steered them into next seasons Premier League. Ahead of Tony Pulis, a man who inherited a God awful Palace side cut adrift at the bottom of the Premier League, with no clue how to defend, and no goalscorers, and brought them to safety and a mid table finish. Rodgers did a very good job indeed, but to claim he was the best manager this season is clearly nonsense. For me Sean Dyche was the worthy winner of this award, the fact he didn't even win the Championship award (this was won by Nigel Pearson, again a successful season, but with a squad which on paper looked more than capable of achieving what they did) was also a travesty.

Matty said:
People have, yet again, been sucked in by the Liverpool media bias. I'd be surprised if the voting for this wasn't done a few weeks back, when most of the managers were being told that Liverpool had the title in the bag, and City didn't even warrant a mention from anyone. Fast forward to present day and you've got a manager with a squad worth in the region of £200m who doesn't win anything being named manager of the year, over all 4 divisions. Ahead of Pellegrini, a manager with an embarrassment of riches, but also 2 trophies. Ahead of Sean Dyche, a man with virtually no money to spend and a squad tipped for a relegation battle, who has steered them into next seasons Premier League. Ahead of Tony Pulis, a man who inherited a God awful Palace side cut adrift at the bottom of the Premier League, with no clue how to defend, and no goalscorers, and brought them to safety and a mid table finish. Rodgers did a very good job indeed, but to claim he was the best manager this season is clearly nonsense. For me Sean Dyche was the worthy winner of this award, the fact he didn't even win the Championship award (this was won by Nigel Pearson, again a successful season, but with a squad which on paper looked more than capable of achieving what they did) was also a travesty.

FinkTank in the Times had an interesting take on it

Which Manager outperformed taking into a baseline that factors in expection and cash

His calculation: Martinez

Matty said:
Surely, when push came to shove, Rodgers failed. To be three games from the title, two of them at home, requiring two wins and a draw, two games against mid-table teams, and not to get over the line, has to be seen as a failure at managerial level.

On that basis, this award is wrong, irrespective of the merits or otherwise of Pellegrini.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.