Long Forgotten Testimonials

The City magazine at the time covered it as the headline was I’d rather be in Barbados than Barnsley so assumed it must’ve been a wet night in Yorkshire
The chant "I'd rather be in Barnsley than Barbados" was aired during a 2-0 defeat at Oakwell on 28/12/1996. It was aimed at Francis Lee who had buggered off to the Caribbean for Christmas leaving those of us daft enough to brave the elements in Yorkshire.

Did they have a report on our CL Final? Doesn't surprise me that the MUEN didn't give us a couple of column inches. They were probably filling it wi' Ferguson puffery!

And while we're on testiclemonials, hands up if yer went to the Bert Trautmann testimonial? Aha, just as I thought - 670m!
As a kid I was one of the first fans on the pitch at the end of Bert's testimonial or iirc the pitch was invaded before the final whistle.
Sweet but vague memories….from this FOC

Found this n clarets mad but I’ve no recollection of Peter Swales being involved in a half time penalty shoot out!!

That season also saw him receive a testimonial from the club. It was a special night against Manchester City and all credit to their manager John Bond who insisted that Trevor Francis and Joe Corrigan, who had been on England duty in Spain the night before, turned up on their return and played.

They both played in the second half and when Bond himself came on for City there were cries from the Burnley fans for our manager Brian Miller to do likewise. Miller didn't let them down. The two managers had also taken part in a penalty shoot out at half time alongside their chairmen John Jackson and City's Peter Swailes. Bond's penalty technique proved to be the winner.
I remember none of this. What was the year? 82 ish?

Do you mean Ian Brightwell? I can't imagine David Brightwell meritred a testimonial.
Ian's testimonial was against Sunderland. Dull nil nil. Remember Weaver playing. Not much else.

City Weaver, Edghill, Tiatto, Wiekens, Tskhadadze, Vaughan, Dickov, Pollock, Goater, Horlock, Bradbury – Subs Jim Whitley(46), Brown(87), Wright(unused), Mason(unused), Greenacre(unused)

Sunderland Sorensen, Holloway, Scott, Williams, Butler, Craddock, Summerbee, Gray, Quinn, Bridges, Johnston – Subs Waiwright(46), Dichio(55), Mullin(59), Ord(71), Weaver(unused)

As a kid I was one of the first fans on the pitch at the end of Bert's testimonial or iirc the pitch was invaded before the final whistle.
Sweet but vague memories….from this FOC
I got onto the pitch. The only time I've ever got onto a football pitch, not counting the shitheaps that passed for Manchester Corporation playing field.

The chant "I'd rather be in Barnsley than Barbados" was aired during a 2-0 defeat at Oakwell on 28/12/1996. It was aimed at Francis Lee who had buggered off to the Caribbean for Christmas leaving those of us daft enough to brave the elements in Yorkshire.
I remember it well as I was one of those getting pissed wet through and hence why the usually dull City mag came up with a decent headline for a change.

One thing I remember about that match is not going, and I went to most aways in those days. I actually remember being utterly, 100%, unshakeably convinced that we would lose and it was going to spoil my Christmas. The only other time I had that total conviction we would lose was the Blackburn Cup game under Pierce.

I’m not trying to be clever about the Barnsley game. It was because we were utterly shit at the time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.