Lucas Paqueta investigated by FA for alleged betting breaches

I never really understand if people are sincere in saying “Oh I don’t carewhat City pay, doesn’t concern me.”
I don’t own any of the players, even as employees. I don’t own the stadium. Hell, I don’t even own the seat I sit in. It’s lent to me, temporarily, and I can be ejected from it. Temporarily. Or indeed permanently.
Not one penny we pay for player x,y or z comes directly out of my bank account. I’ve noticed that. Which is just as well, because four days ago my wallet was stolen by a pickpocket, they somehow had the number for my bank card, and they cleaned out what was left in my current account within eight minutes flat. Anyway, let that go, as being entirely beside the point.

I own it all. In my heart, I own it all. Everything that Manchester City Football Club decides, all aspects of its policies, concerns me. That includes — especially includes — transfer fees. I do not like to see my club being taken for a ride. It doesn’t happen often now, but it does occasionally. We’ve all got our idea of what the market is — we see players being bought, we see players being sold, every transfer window — we form a judgement which we believe to be approximately correct. Yes, I care very much what City pay out for a given player. I intensely dislike seeing my club being taken for what would be, in my judgement (right or wrong), a ride.
By the way, contrary to appearances, Pep is not God. He works within a structure, powerful as he is. He knows that. City is a business, working within constraints. He knows that too. I’m certain he does not just march to Khaldoon, to the sheik, or even to Txiki, and say “I need that player, get him at any price.” He’s got far too much respect for them, for the club, for that.
If the player seems to be available, and amenable to a move, and the other club is not completely hostile, that’s when the process of negotiations starts.
All these things are thunderingly obvious. But they seem to need repeating, sometimes.

Last edited:
If you look at the 10 biggest transfer fees of the summer so far, all figures in £m:

Rice - 100 (+5)
Bellingham - 88 (+26)
Gvardiol - 77
Havertz - 65
Hojlund - 64 (+8)
Szoboszlai- 60
Mount - 55 (+5)
Sonali - 52 (+8)
Nkunku- 52
Malcom- 52

And you place Paqueta amongst them in terms of quality and age I think anything over £70m is a rip-off.

Then again, I think Declan Rice is too, so West Ham have form for this!

Surely you can see this does not seem the usual way we do business.

I would put Gvardiol and Kovatic as prime examples.

The fact there is talk of a season out injury sparking this bid, although I have no idea if that is true or not shows that we are acting differently to normal.

This is a deal that could have been done for cheaper and easier if talks had started earlier in the season and also given Pep a pre-season with him.

I would argue both Liverpool signings seem more the way we normally do business for a CM and that possibly we would bave been better going for them. MacAllister especially seems a very good fit for us at a great price.

We are light in the squad and the extra games and longer game time, we have decided to try and get a player on the eve of the season. What has sparked that who knows, I don’t think we have panicked over the late goal but it might have been thought more need to freshen up during the game as the games are a bit longer.

In regards to panic buy I don’t think we do that, I imagine we have the data, scouting reports and due diligence already done. However, I also imagine 1-2 weeks earlier we where not necessarily expecting to bid for him.

You can also add Akanji into this category.

And to answer your q, no not all but some purchases as we get towards the end will be panic buys (replacing players, injury’s etc).

Some not, prime example could be if Kane moves. Bayern may get him late in the window but he was targeted early and it is just the time it takes. Be interesting who Spurs sign and if this is planned or a panic buy.
You are effectively saying all transfers are the same and therefore a single model exists to complete every deal. OK

So not walk away at £88 mill , walk away at £90 mill. How about £89.25 mill? Guessing arbitrary figures we will or won’t pay is pointless.
I know there isn't much difference in 88 mil and 90 mil , In other words I just don't believe he's worth the fee tbh I think 60-70 mil would of been fair but the timing of the bid also hasn't helped either.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.