Lucas Paqueta investigated by FA for alleged betting breaches

Our season didn't end until the 10th of June, & the rumours are that Paqueta only wanted to move after Rice was sold.

Conversations take place with the player before the season ends, as was the case with Kovatic and Gvardiol.

I would also say if he only wants to move to City because Rice has left West Ham (which was no secret anyway, everyone knew he was leaving this season) he is not the player for us.

I would imagine he would move from City from West Ham, Declan Rice or no Declan Rice.

I think it has had more to do with Gundogan and City giving him time to make his decision, the fact we concentrated (rightly although didn’t work out well for us) on Bellingham. Us actually having an interest in Rice (but his preference was to stay in London).

All these bumps have left to this situation and we’re lucky that we buy so well we can overpay.

I’m more relaxed then most on this, if he plays poorly he isn’t worth £70 million or £85 million, if he plays well and adds to our success he is worth £70 million or £85 million.

Not sure the very thin area where someone would say he’d be a success at £70 million but not worth £85 million exists.

Last edited:
We are going to see a player in the next couple of years go for 200 million , money in the prem is ridiculous, it’s the closest thing to a super league. 100 million will be the average fee soon for a quality player. Which is ridiculous but that’s how the market has changed

60 m for one half decent season in a relegated team is mental, lavia is a good player with the the potential to be very good and thats all he is

It’s nuts. What it’s symptomatic of, I believe, is the sheer desperation of the other four “big clubs” (I do not include Tottenham in that, it’s only in their dreams) in the face of the terrifying juggernaut that is City.

I'm like you, concerned about the value for money element.
However, with the odd exception under Pep we tend to buy players for the system rather than just individual talent.

Hopefully he fits our system well and it makes the most of his talent, clearly that's not happening at West Ham.
It’s not so much the value for money it’s the risk element for me.

I’d be hoping that £90m would get us a ready made player, ready to step into Kev’s shoes, maybe not at his level yet (how could anyone be!), but proven.

His career seems to be a series of start and stops, he’s done ok at West Ham, but he’s hardly set the world on fire.

We are going to see a player in the next couple of years go for 200 million , money in the prem is ridiculous, it’s the closest thing to a super league. 100 million will be the average fee soon for a quality player. Which is ridiculous but that’s how the market has changed

Yep! Lets be honest, if Erling was to go now, what would we want as a fee? £300m? £350m?

It’s nuts. What it’s symptomatic of, I believe, is the sheer desperation of the other four “big clubs” (I do not include Tottenham in that, it’s only in their dreams) in the face of the terrifying juggernaut that is City.
desperation is not a great way to catch up to us , i think its also symptomatic of the dearth of quality players in that position in the market, 60m for someone who is just about fit to lace rodris boots is absolute madness

Thing is players like this will have a 'value' to Saudi if they fail at their new clubs.
Risk becomes less with a sell option if it doesn't quite work out.

It’s not so much the value for money it’s the risk element for me.

I’d be hoping that £90m would get us a ready made player, ready to step into Kev’s shoes, maybe not at his level yet (how could anyone be!), but proven.

His career seems to be a series of start and stops, he’s done ok at West Ham, but he’s hardly set the world on fire.
in this market 90m, what does 90m buy you, whoever we bought would be a stepdown on kev and thats the sad truth, is there really anyone we could buy that would improve us much less for 90m

Boehly coming over and superfluously spending absurd amount of money for these players isn’t doing the market any favors. He’s an absolute imbecile.

Haha Why so touchy? You seem to be really dead set on Paqueta being a success. I just reminded you to lower your expectations. I trust my impressions, judgments and discernments. Thankfully I've not been disappointed by my assessments. I don't stray much away from players who have a track record and have an innate quality and talent that shines through. Paqueta isn't one of these players. I might be wrong but I'll go with my first impressions.
I didn't expect Gus' alt account to be so active so soon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.