Lucas Paqueta investigated by FA for alleged betting breaches

We’ve consistently found young talent, and brought them on.

Yes they market is ridiculous at the moment, but it doesn’t mean we need to run with it. To be it’s got a sense of a bit of a panic buy about it, which is out of character for city.

Is he really better than Foden could be in that position?
Sense of a bit? It's either a panic buy or it isn't. The reason City want him is because he ticks the boxes that they are currently looking for in a player which for me is a logical reason and certainly not as you say 'Panic Buy'.

City don't put players names in a pot and have a raffle, though I'm sure some on here do.

Last edited:
Valverde, Barella, Wirtz, Griezmann, McAllister...not to mention Rice or Bellingham and I am not even mentioning Musiala, Camavinga, Kimmich, Pedri, De Jong...because they are impossible to get. Even Ugarte, Szolozbai, Zielinski, Bonavento are of similar level.

I am sure Paqueta will be a success in our team because his style is really good for us. For 90m, I expect more than what he offers now though.

I am certain that all the praise he is getting here would be pure mockery if Liverpool or United were trying to sign him for 90m.

I am still happy to sign him, but it's not a great transfer fee we are doing.
While the list you've provided is an impressive one a majority of those named are either even more expensive, not in the same mold, over-rated, or simply untouchable. I'll save us both the time and name those that are in my opinion viable alternatives. Barella, although he can't play as a 10 or a 6, Wirtz, but he is strictly an attacking player. deJong, who has zero will to leave Barca. Valverde who'd probably start at upwards of 125 mil.

Paqueta is bigger, more physical and faster than McAllister. None of Ugarte, Szoboszlai, Zielinski or Benevento are quite as good or remotely as versatile.

Musiala and Pedri aren't obtainable and in this market their price would start at 150 mil.

Griezmann, who I believe is vastly underrated, is simply too old for us at this point.

Kimmich seems to be overrated and a bit on the decline. Not an 8 either.

Camavinga is an entirely different profile and nowhere near technically adept enough to play in an 8, 10, or 6 for us.

As for Bellingham, he wanted Real and he was always going there, simple as.

Then there's Rice, the most overrated player on your list who would add virtually nothing to our squad in terms of creativity, going forward, progressive passing, etc. He's a solid, solid holding mid blessed to be British, 24, and who checks the boxes in terms of looking the part. Would I take him at City? Yes, but not with anywhere near the absurd expectations placed on him by the Arsenal fan base and the media.

Truthfully, I'm not trying to be contrarian to your post, just expressing my own thoughts on the matter. I'm sure Txiki and Pep could add plenty more than I did as far as their desire to bring in Paqueta and their views on those you've listed.

Yes they market is ridiculous at the moment, but it doesn’t mean we need to run with it. To be it’s got a sense of a bit of a panic buy about it, which is out of character for city.

Whilst I don’t disagree that the market is crazy, and the smart move is not necessarily to dive right in and contribute to that craziness - the reality is we need more depth in the middle having lost Gundo, and with KDB really starting to struggle with injuries at this stage in his career.

And given the ludicrous levels the market has hit this summer, if we want an alternative they’re going to cost us.

Look at Doku - a young player from outside the PL with huge potential yet to be fully realised. We’re looking in the region of £45m if we want him.

And the ‘do nothing’ option will cost us too. Not signing a player for a much needed position in the team will limit our capacity to compete.

We’ve currently got Bernardo, Phil, Kova and an injured KDB for two positions either side of Rodri. And we’re playing in six competitions, all with significant money and prestige to be earned the further we go in them.

That’s bare bones, and will bite us if we don’t move for another option.

So this isn’t about ‘is he better than Foden in that position’ - Foden’s great, but he won’t be able to play every game in that position.

We need more depth and quality - and Paqueta ticks the box on both.

Sense of a bit? It's either a panic buy or it isn't. The reason City want him is because he ticks the boxes that they are currently looking for in a player which for me is a logical reason and certainly not as you say 'Panic Buy'.

City don't put players names in a pot and have a raffle, though I'm sure some on here do.
The amount of City fans that still question our transfer policy is mind boggling.

I don’t think it’s really about that Matty. More to do with the fact that we’ve only got 4 senior attacking midfielders at the club (and one of those is DeBruyne, who we’ll be lucky to see again this side of November). Grealish, Foden and Bernardo and, er, that’s it. That would be considered threadbare for a 5 game season, never mind 55.
We‘ve already seen Alvarez pressed into service (ineffectively IMO as well) in midfield, and the only other options are untested kids, McAtee, Palmer, Bobb etc.
Paqueta and Doku look like ’must have’ purchases at the moment, albeit that they’re both grotesquely overpriced. What are the alternatives?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.