Lucas Paqueta investigated by FA for alleged betting breaches

City wouldn’t be entertaining a bid of over £85m for Paqueta if Gundo had extended his stay. So it leaves us in a tricky situation. The squad depth was already thin before mahrez and Gundo left. Phillips so far has not worked out and pep seems reluctant to play Grealish or Foden as the 10.

So where does that leave us? Knocking at West Ham’s door for a player who is not world class and struggled to adopt to English football but has the potential to be that player. The fee will be huge due to inflation and our seemingly limited options.

50/50 opinions on this deal. Ultimately, the club is in an awkward position due to the above reasons. So although I don’t like the fee, I can see why City have decided to pay it.

As long as we go back to our normally approach after this summer then I am fine with us making an exception to pay a premium fee on this occasion. Throw in KDB problems and Paqueta becomes a necessity.
Don't think the fee has anything to do with Gundogan. Just an expensive player because he is the best player left at WH, who already lost their previous best player this summer.

Saudi Arabia really has made the fees had to judge.

I'm not a fan of this type of opinion. Of course everyone realizes that our front office does a fantastic job overall. But that knowledge doesn't change the fact that they could do better or worse in individual instances.

So while acknowledging the front office does a super job, one can at the same time worry about individual specific choices.

For example we almost spent 80 million on Kane, the summer before we got Haaland for 51. I'm sure Kane would have been a decent choice. But many ( myself included) didn't want that choice because we wanted the opportunity at Haaland. Which I believe ( and most would probably agree was the better choice).

Dias instead of Koulibally is another example. Thank God Napoli were dicks. Rodri over Fred was another. Thank God for United.

Granted had we gotten these players there is no guarantee theyd have been as bad as where they went. Perhaps Pep could sprinkle some magic dust on them.

But the point still remains, discussing the value or fit of potential in coming players is worth having. I mean, it's practically what this forum is for :)
Hindsight does apply to those deals though.

Had we not won the league in the season without Kane, would it have still been the right call? Of course both answers could be still right.

Dias was never available until Benfica were surprisingly knocked out of the CL qualifiers late in the window. Should that not have happened, who knows who we might have bought? ADL would never have sold us Koulibaly at that stage.

Naturally fans will debate whether a signing feels right to them or not. Our board have earned some leeway from us even if they occasionally sign someone that doesn’t work. 95% seem to though.

I'm not a fan of this type of opinion. Of course everyone realizes that our front office does a fantastic job overall. But that knowledge doesn't change the fact that they could do better or worse in individual instances.

So while acknowledging the front office does a super job, one can at the same time worry about individual specific choices.

For example we almost spent 80 million on Kane, the summer before we got Haaland for 51. I'm sure Kane would have been a decent choice. But many ( myself included) didn't want that choice because we wanted the opportunity at Haaland. Which I believe ( and most would probably agree was the better choice).

Dias instead of Koulibally is another example. Thank God Napoli were dicks. Rodri over Fred was another. Thank God for United.

Granted had we gotten these players there is no guarantee theyd have been as bad as where they went. Perhaps Pep could sprinkle some magic dust on them.

But the point still remains, discussing the value or fit of potential in coming players is worth having. I mean, it's practically what this forum is for :)
Hey, those who choose to worry can go about worrying. Knock themselves out. But when you try to convince those of a different mindset that they should be worrying too and that the club is panicking you will be met with some strong resistance. Especially when the worry relates to a club as successful as ours...

Ah well obviously you’ve got some superb inside info that the club hasn’t bothered scouting Paqueta and think he’s got no potential, because otherwise you’re just spouting more absolute nonsense.
You’ve clearly cut off a key part of my previous comment to lose context and suit your own agenda.

I responded to a comment made my @Plain Speaking in reference to Brightons scouting, buy saying that the lions share of our transfer business has been to invest in younger players, well scouted, who have the potential to step up to much higher levels.

I’ve never once even suggested that we haven’t scouted Paqueta

We're not in the position to try to find gems, we're in the position to try to win a record 5th consecutive title and defend the CL Trophy FA cup and try for the Quadruple..

We found a gem in Alvarez and have gems coming through ie Palmer and Rico....
Finding gems and competing for trophies are not mutually exclusive, I agree about Alvarez and Palmer...

No need to be a twat. We can all have different view points on the transfer. Instead of attacking posters maybe use constructive arguments as to why you do or do not agree? Otherwise don’t comment as you add nothing to the discussion.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.