Lucas Paqueta investigated by FA for alleged betting breaches

Heres the whole comment I replied to.

If you agree that Paqueta has been well scouted and has potential then why do you care about the fee?

Why did you write all that bollocks about "PL proven" when most of our big transfers haven't been?

Why try to convince everyone he's a panic signing when we've all known the club was scouting him for the past 2 years becuase this thread is testament to it?

Perhaps you should admit you don't like Paqueta or haven't actually seen much of him at all instead of trying to come up with all these really crap justifications that fall apart as soon as someone looks at them. That's completely fine. Everyone has players they don't like or wouldn't want the club to buy, you don't need to come up with poor justifications for it.
But the context that you left out isn’t it.

Why do I care…..Let me ask you a question, have you ever questioned at City signing?

What titles are they winning?

Few cups between them, but nothing like what we are doing

The post I responded to said trophies not titles.

Dortmund, Inter and Atletico routinely sell their best players and compete for league titles, though I accept it’s nothing like our scale.

However, you’re right in the sense that there is a difference between challenging and routinely winning. As we’ve always known, money talks.

If you look at the categories they are "attacking midfielder/winger" and "midfielder". According to transfermarkt Paqueta's main position played last season was attacking midfielder 17 games, central midfielder 10 games, defensive midfielder 1 game. I should maybe have put his stats for both attacking midfielder and midfielder, because both are relevant ;-)

And here's Paqueta from 2021/2022 where he played 26 games as an actual attacking player (AM, RM, CF).

Screenshot_20230814_134500_Chrome.jpg

Not entirely sure why comparing someone who plays mostly centrally (and for Moyes) would be compared to wing forwards like Grealish & Mitoma? Although I think Paqueta can probably do a job on RW (like Bernardo), he's more than likely going to be central.

Regardless, he's clearly got a skillset that Pep & the team like.

Goes for any argument you make about recruitment or lack of. Someone here will remind you there are professionals in place so don’t talk!
Maybe with some posters that's true but speaking for myself I'd say remember who you are talking about before speaking out of your backside. That's a bit different...

From the bits I’ve seen of Paqueta he looks a very good player but a current downgrade on Mahrez and Gundogan. I also don’t think he gets into our starting 11 when we have a fully fit squad. For me, he’s not an upgrade on Foden, KDB, Kovacic and Bernardo, so I can see why talk of £80+ million is a risk.

However, if you look at some of our big other buys like Mahrez, Grealish, Ake, Rodri you could also argue that they didn’t walk into our starting 11 either.

What does interest me though is his performance at the Etihad last season. He was absolute class.

From what I can remember, the players who have torn up apart have been pace merchants like Traore and Saint Maximem or technically brilliant players like Hazard and Bernardo Silva. Paqueta’s skills are more in line with the latter who are/were world class players.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.