Luke shaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
FantasyIreland said:
Ray78 said:
A very steep price for a player who is still cutting his teeth in the game. I am not convinced with this at all,

Which bit?

The suggestion we would be willing to pay that amount? or the question of whether he is worth it?

Both. I just don't get the hype surrounding him. In England clubs tend to overpay for players who have achieved very little in their careers. When Alves moved he had 6 seasons at Sevilla and a couple of medals to his name.

Not a chance we would pay 30m for this kid 10m with bonuses that could reach 20m over a 5 year contract maybe!

But just being a good left back with no outstanding attributes is still an awful lot of money..

Ray78 said:
FantasyIreland said:
Ray78 said:
A very steep price for a player who is still cutting his teeth in the game. I am not convinced with this at all,

Which bit?

The suggestion we would be willing to pay that amount? or the question of whether he is worth it?

Both.

I think its a big risk but based on his current ability and potential......its one worth taking.The price may seem OTT but bear in mind what England players of a similar age and potential were sold for in the past.

I like the way he reads the game. For an 18 year old he's a proper whizz kid, tactically. I think fullbacks take a while to mature as well, must be a stamina thing. So I can see him going for that money, but I'd be suprised if we let Kolarov go right now. how many assists does he have?

Its also worth noting that we also have a natural replacement for Clichy in our EDS ranks,step forward Angelino!

If Angelino continues to develop at his current rate,himself and Shaw sharing the role would be amazing.

£30m is an awful lot of money for an 18 year old left back.

However, he has Premiership experience and I would trust our management to know whether the gamble is worth it.

30 mil is a lot of money but its not unrealistic to think we could get 15 odd years out of him 2 mil is season isn't to bad, and if we sell him I would expect us to get our money back or a tidy profit can only see him improving!

Delboy352 said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2537848/Could-Shaw-worth-Alves-City-set-break-world-record-fee-pay-30m-18-year-old-Saint.html

Could Shaw become the world's most expensive full-back? City set to break Alves' record and pay £30m for young Saint

Manchester City are ready to flex their financial muscle and pay a world-record £30million in January for Southampton’s outstanding young English prospect, Luke Shaw.

City have made it clear to Saints chairman Nicola Cortese they will pay the fee immediately to blow away rivals Chelsea and Manchester United, who also hold a long-standing interest in the left-back.

Shaw, 18, is regarded as England’s long-term successor to Ashley Cole and City accept they will have to break the world-record fee for a full-back to get him — beating the £29.5m paid by Barcelona for Dani Alves in 2008.

Shaw — and his club — have indicated he is happy to stay at St Mary’s until the summer. But City are primed and ready to beat any offer should he become available this month.

Manager Manuel Pellegrini is convinced Shaw is the long-term answer to his problem left-back position and will allow Aleksandr Kolarov to return to Italy should the youngster arrive.

With top-class English talent at a premium, City need to do everything they can to fill the quota of eight home-grown players in their Premier League squad.

Gareth Barry will leave at the end of the season after finishing his loan at Everton, while Jack Rodwell and Scott Sinclair have not earned regular selection.

I really really hope this is true. So what if he's expensive? So was Fernandinho, ans sometimes it costs a bit extra for special players, and I think Shaw belongs in that category.
He could in a few years time be one of the best LB's in Europe, and by then I'm sure what we hypothetically paid now will look like a pretty good deal.

Just commented on this on the other thread.
But again, I'd love for this to be true.

English players cos premium we all know that, but a few players might just be worth it, and I think Shaw is one of them.
Barkley, all though I don't see write as much potential in him as Shaw, would be another example of English players who just might be well worth the high fee.

Hamann Pineapple said:
Would love him here, and Nathan Clyne for that matter

Indeed. But I don't think Pochettino would be very pleased to loose both his full backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.