Madeleine McCann

Going out and getting smashed while leaving your apartment supposedly unlocked with your 3 kids inside doesn't seem like an appropriate amount of risk to me.
Can you give me any other examples of when an abduction has happened in those circumstances, because when it comes to death by drink driving I've got quite a few.

Kate has accepted that they shouldn't have left her alone and that she regrets that. I think that type of behaviour on holiday is (or rather was) more common than is widely appreciated.

They must accept some responsibility for what happened, as much as a parent driving their car carelessly and having an accident and killing their child is responsible. We all drive carelessly from time to time, even when our kids are in the car. Doesn't mean in those circumstances the parent isn't deserving of sympathy.
Fair enough, i've not seen that and there's no denying that you can have sympathy for it. I personally have never done this with my two daughters and my oldest wasn't born too long after this happened but i can appreciate others have done and maybe think it's normal. For me, all the circumstances around it aren't normal and they will have to carry that for the rest of their lives.

Can you give me any other examples of when an abduction has happened in those circumstances, because when it comes to death by drink driving I've got quite a few.
It's pure common sense, leaving your kids alone to go get wasted in an unlocked apartment in a foreign country is a ridiculous, unnecessary amount of risk to take when you factor in the hotel had a night crèche for children.
Other children haven been abducted in far less riskier scenarios from their parents

Fair enough, i've not seen that and there's no denying that you can have sympathy for it. I personally have never done this with my two daughters and my oldest wasn't born too long after this happened but i can appreciate others have done and maybe think it's normal. For me, all the circumstances around it aren't normal and they will have to carry that for the rest of their lives.
It certainly isn't right or acceptable; it was selfish and lazy, but we can all be both those things from time to time, even as parents - but the punishment that some seem to want to dish out simply doesn't fit the 'crime'.

The issue with all the BS around this case is that much of it is secondhand information that came from Portuguese investigations and with interpreters involved - and that is assuming it is not further exaggerated by the press who have been shameless in dragging this case and the family up at every opportunity for all the wrong reasons.

The most convincing evidence in this case is in relation to what is not feasibly possible. Maddie went missing some time between 6ish and 10, but the McCanns were with the group of friends from just after 8. So there is a max 2 and half hour window where if they had any involvement something happened. That window of time is early evening, its light, they have two other children. They had no car and this is a busy holiday resort, there are no witnesses that saw them outside the resort. What exactly can they have done in that window of time where the body would never be found? There is no conceivable way that they could do this and get away with it.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1562817/Madeleine-McCann-Confusion-over-last-hours.html

The problem that lays itself bare, when was she last seen by anyone else than the McCanns?
Ultimately we will never know what happened to her, but the only piece of evidence I've ever seen in this case is the cadaver dogs

It's pure common sense, leaving your kids alone to go get wasted in an unlocked apartment in a foreign country is a ridiculous, unnecessary amount of risk to take when you factor in the hotel had a night crèche for children.
Other children haven been abducted in far less riskier scenarios from their parents
You have elected to compare it to the risk involved in drink driving. Can you give me any other examples, globally, where the same thing has happened as appears to have happened to the McCanns, to demonstate a similar level of risk to life as drink driving, in order to support your argument.

I think one of the key issues here in terms of people's perceptions of the McCann's is both their dispositions, which are (collectively and individually) unfortunate and unhelpful.

They are very difficult people to warm to.

They have a few friends in high places - who have effectively pulled strings for them. I’m not sure having to publicly admit Esther McVey is a friend is worth anything mind you - yuk.

You have elected to compare it to the risk involved in drink driving. Can you give me any other examples, globally, where the same thing has happened as appears to have happened to the McCanns, to demonstate a similar level of risk to life as drink driving, in order to support your argument.

It's a pretty unique combination of events isn't it? That doesn't mean it's not unbelievably stupid and selfish.

My comparison, is that much like drink driving is that it's an unnecessary risk taken when there are easy simple ways to mitigate that risk.

Much like calling a taxi if you'd had a few to drink, or deciding to leave your children in a provided night crèche by the hotel when you're going to get wasted with friends. Both are easily avoidable

Reactions: nmc
It's a pretty unique combination of events isn't it? That doesn't mean it's not unbelievably stupid and selfish.

My comparison, is that much like drink driving is that it's an unnecessary risk taken when there are easy simple ways to mitigate that risk.

Much like calling a taxi if you'd had a few to drink, or deciding to leave your children in a provided night crèche by the hotel when you're going to get wasted with friends. Both are easily avoidable
If it’s a unique combination of events then your comparison with the risks (and foreseeability) associated with drink driving is misguided, to say the very least.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.