Maine Rd terrace characters

Just re read the whole tread.Brought back so many memories.Remember Pete Trantor and the guys from Blackley when we went up at Blackburn barred from every ground in the country at the time but was at that game in the Maine Stand giving it large.70s and 80s fantastic time for following football

Sky Blue said:
m27 said:
No mate, I wasn't there for Brightwell's goal. Couldn't get a ticket and was distraught.

Clarke missed one in that, was at the Stretford end. Mind you he missed plenty for us!

Both games were quality and both times i was in the rags end and both times jumped a f'kin mile in the air when we scored. Oooooh the memories.

I've just read all 18 pages and I can't believe the number of people mentioned who I know or have had contact with..

Les Tate from Langley... my brother in law was a big mate of his... Tiny Ted Davies who used to manage Mercer Celtic... I played for Mercer Celtic and knew Ted well... Bulldog... growing up in Hulme I used to go drinking with Bulldog in The Shakespeare... Johny Muir... I think he smacked me one night in Cheetham Hill!... Jocky... regularly have a chat with him before the match... And there's probably a few more that I've forgot.

Ah, the memories.

m27 said:
fathellensbellend said:
3 of us were stood in that corner, we actually went with a utd fan, whom said to us, sorry lads i would sooner go and stand with my own fans there were that many city in there.

i cannot remember any trouble as such, plenty of verbals, and ultimately they cordoned the city fans off and held us back after the whistle.

and yes we certainly didnt hid the fact we were city fans, and when we scored it was like being on the kippax.

There was something special about that night. Eventhough we only got a point and really should have won, I had an absolute ball. The blue and white balloons given to us on entry, the Blues in the Stretford End, Dissa maiming Giggs, Whitey taking the piss out of Bruce, THAT legend who ran the length of the pitch, "Ten men, you couldn't beat ten men...." Great memories.

I always ask this but if someone can find on-line footage from this game please put in on here. I remember having a video of the game and I must have worn it out rewinding the Curle pen over and over again to watch us lot go mental behind the goal.

I got tickets for the lads doing up my house all reds by the way, was stood on my own in the middle of the stretford end hoping nobody saw me, Curlie scored and I was so fired up, there was lads all over jumping up and down. My mates stood by me bye the way I`m no Rambo or PB

1_barry_conlon said:
m27 said:
When I was a kid on the Kippax I was so small I had to get there 90 minutes before kick off and postion myself above the big tunnel nearest the North Stand so I had any chance of a view. From about 1987 onwards this bloke was always there right near me above the tunnel. I saw him the other week for the first time since the Kippax wasn't standing. Legend.

When you were a kid???? lol

I do have feelings you know.

fathellensbellend said:
m27 said:
There was something special about that night. Eventhough we only got a point and really should have won, I had an absolute ball. The blue and white balloons given to us on entry, the Blues in the Stretford End, Dissa maiming Giggs, Whitey taking the piss out of Bruce, THAT legend who ran the length of the pitch, "Ten men, you couldn't beat ten men...." Great memories.

I always ask this but if someone can find on-line footage from this game please put in on here. I remember having a video of the game and I must have worn it out rewinding the Curle pen over and over again to watch us lot go mental behind the goal.

i remember coton coming to the stretford end, and our group in the corner singing england's england's number 1 to him, he look very suprised to say the least.

whatever utd fans say, city fans absolutely took the piss that night, and there is no way they would have done the same on the kippax
Was in there too with a couple of lads from work, it was odd at first because we thought it`d just be a case of quietly mingling in with the peasants, but there were plenty of city in there, and after a while it was a case of `f**k it` lets sing and we did, very loudly, and the ground went silent (bar us) including blues at the other end in the away section as they all thought `cheeky buggers` or something like that, there were a few scuffles but nothing too major, it was fun.

What about the old boys from the Parkside, there was some fun there, a lot of other clubs new about the place, even now a few mention that pub on the corner.

5nu62t.jpg

1_barry_conlon said:
m27 said:
I do have feelings you know.

You're about as sensitive as i am!!!

If this forum had a 'Panic' button I'd have pressed it by now. Internet bullying is unacceptable.<br /><br />-- Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:58 pm --<br /><br />
mancityvstoke said:

That is the same coat he had on when I first set eyes on him in the mid-eighties on the Kippax. Even his phone is blue and white!

Legend.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.