Maine Rd terrace characters

Who was the fella who used to walk around outside Maine Road with M.C.F.C tat across his shoulders? Always had his top off in decent weather. Anyway last game of the season when we got relegated at Stoke he was dragged out the crowd and placed in a small ringed off area of seats directly to the right of the City section - in the Stoke Stand next to the scoreboard and with Thousands of Stoke fans only metres from him still continued to wind them up! Complete nutter. Someone once told me he was from Southport but I don't know how true that was?

In the late 90's used to see him walking around behind the North Stand every game.

Blue Lloyd said:
Who was the fella who used to walk around outside Maine Road with M.C.F.C tat across his shoulders? Always had his top off in decent weather. Anyway last game of the season when we got relegated at Stoke he was dragged out the crowd and placed in a small ringed off area of seats directly to the right of the City section - in the Stoke Stand next to the scoreboard and with Thousands of Stoke fans only metres from him still continued to wind them up! Complete nutter. Someone once told me he was from Southport but I don't know how true that was?

In the late 90's used to see him walking around behind the North Stand every game.

his name is Nigel from manchester area dont know where was a mate of my son who worked in city store

Little Limpy Lee Thompson ,ran with George Mcguire's crew . Still see him now n again

totallywired said:
Soulboy said:
I've just read all 18 pages and I can't believe the number of people mentioned who I know or have had contact with..

Les Tate from Langley... my brother in law was a big mate of his... Tiny Ted Davies who used to manage Mercer Celtic... I played for Mercer Celtic and knew Ted well... Bulldog... growing up in Hulme I used to go drinking with Bulldog in The Shakespeare... Johny Muir... I think he smacked me one night in Cheetham Hill!... Jocky... regularly have a chat with him before the match... And there's probably a few more that I've forgot.

Ah, the memories.
Les Tate from Gorton mate. Remember him playing football for the gorton mount on annie lee`s playing fields. This rag who was supposed to be a hard nut, turned up with some mates for Les. While the the match was in progress and in full kit Les just jogged off the pitch, vaulted the fence, ran straight over to th e rags and headbutted the hard one one the nose. He sparked him clean out then just jogged back onto the pitch as though nothing had happened. Pure class from the hardest city fan ever.

Whenever a City hooligan thread pops up this guys name gets mentioned far more than the ones you would expect. Is he still around? does he still get to games? without bigging it up he sounds like a legend.

just like to say that i don't class les tate as a hooligan. when we all used to go away with city we were all mainly in our twenties and can't remember ever starting trouble. we had a good laugh with plymouth fans in 74 i think. geordies and even everton every time we went there. and many others. the thing being IF any other teams fans tried to start on us they got it back. there was a subtle difference. most of our away trips were great days out with no trouble at all. but you didn't start on les or johnny muir or johnny hutchinson and a few others if you were sane.

thelegde said:
tonythecoleman said:
the swinton ledge.that guy doesnt miss games.

Had a kip and now my memory has improved - it was Tony V at Langley Labour Club, not Middleton. And it was Stan not Sid, Stan Hayes. The pleasures of old age eh?

I know Tony Valenti, had a few run-ins with him myself whilst playing in the Middleton Sunday League, he went to school with my dad and done a few things together around the grounds in the 70's, after the last time I had a run in with him when he was running the line he looked at me and the penny must have dropped, he said "are you Roy Bridge's son" ? I said "yep", he replied " I might have known, he's a right little 'ard c*nt, your dad" lol

Blue Lloyd said:
totallywired said:
Les Tate from Gorton mate. Remember him playing football for the gorton mount on annie lee`s playing fields. This rag who was supposed to be a hard nut, turned up with some mates for Les. While the the match was in progress and in full kit Les just jogged off the pitch, vaulted the fence, ran straight over to th e rags and headbutted the hard one one the nose. He sparked him clean out then just jogged back onto the pitch as though nothing had happened. Pure class from the hardest city fan ever.

Whenever a City hooligan thread pops up this guys name gets mentioned far more than the ones you would expect. Is he still around? does he still get to games? without bigging it up he sounds like a legend.
Yes Les is still around and still watching the Blues every week.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.