Maine Rd terrace characters

mancyman said:
just like to say that i don't class les tate as a hooligan. when we all used to go away with city we were all mainly in our twenties and can't remember ever starting trouble. we had a good laugh with plymouth fans in 74 i think. geordies and even everton every time we went there. and many others. the thing being IF any other teams fans tried to start on us they got it back. there was a subtle difference. most of our away trips were great days out with no trouble at all. but you didn't start on les or johnny muir or johnny hutchinson and a few others if you were sane.

Although I did'nt have the same experience at Everton away....our lot did have laughs with Palace fans , Stoke once, Wolves and others

I'd say this sums up how most of us were in those days. cars/transit vans (20 in the back!)/trains/coaches to away games (all weekend sometimes) No trouble unless it came (and usually they were very sorry). Plenty of robbing, nightclubs and women and CITY.....fkin top away days. Many stories, many laughs and many good times. Not all hooliganism. (sorry for the glorification)

WidnesBlue23 said:
How about the British Heart foundation guy outside the club shop at Maine Road, iv seen him a few times at COMS too, saying the same thing in his memorable trademark voice, cant remember what it is he says though

Oh fuck me, he's still around. I see him regularly.

He's like a parrot, still coming out with the same old lines: "British Heart Foudnation, Let's Hope you never need it".

We used to give him money in the pubs around Maine Road just to go away.

Didsbury Dave said:
WidnesBlue23 said:
How about the British Heart foundation guy outside the club shop at Maine Road, iv seen him a few times at COMS too, saying the same thing in his memorable trademark voice, cant remember what it is he says though

He's like a parrot, still coming out with the same old lines: "British Heart Foudnation, Let's Hope you never need it".

"Howdy dooo"

That's what the annoying bastard used to say on entry anywhere.

Didsbury Dave said:
WidnesBlue23 said:

"New heart, new start"

1_barry_conlon said:
Didsbury Dave said:

"Howdy dooo"

He still does. Runs a full monalogue which opens with "Howdee Do. British Heart Foundation. Let's hope you never need it". And it quickly runs into how much he's raised for them.

Fair play to the fella for doing it but he's one of those blokes who just doesn't listen.

Can anyone remember the name of the little fella that used to stand on the door at the Parkside, shaking the charity bucket in yer face????

think it maybe Luigi but not too sure

Didsbury Dave said:
1_barry_conlon said:
"Howdy dooo"

He still does. Runs a full monalogue which opens with "Howdee Do. British Heart Foundation. Let's hope you never need it". And it quickly runs into how much he's raised for them.

Fair play to the fella for doing it but he's one of those blokes who just doesn't listen.

He used to come into the Gardeners every f'kin game and then an hour later be followed by a sour faced woman who was collecting for Francis house. She'd walk in, shove the tin in front of your face and stand there.

And then you would get the bald kid who blagged everyone he had cancer and sign his sponsorship form. We nearly threw him in the Rochdale canal when he came in rain bar after we got promoted at Blackburn. But he started crying....bless him. He had a few people over though for a few quid.

end of the game the whole scoreboard end turned round to 2 rags singing your gonna miss your train.Superb.

SWSB said:
end of the game the whole scoreboard end turned round to 2 rags singing your gonna miss your train.Superb.

You on about the 1-1 Curle penalty Derby? The ballooning after that game was legendary. I remember some scruffy, long haired denim clad Lemmy look-a-like trying to act hard above us getting loads off everyone before eventually cracking and having to do one and a lad in front of me trying to set fire to a half United half Celtic ski hat some rag had thrown down at us.

It's funny the things that stick in the mind.

Chappie said:
Balti said:
Abbo rings a bell. When was he going?
Bob Meehan was a top lad,he used to go everywhere by train,with Clarky,Mac.Donut,Pete White and Gary Grffthis
They travelled all over Europe doing the matches on the old Delta travel rail cards
I think Bob and Pete did Tommy Doc over on the train
Clarky also knocked around with the Parkside crew,The Carr boys,George and Jimmy,Terry Howarth,the Richardson brothers,Mitch,Peter Wright,Dave Lingard,Nigel and Degsy and the prince of clowns Pete Lewis

yes pete white was the lad who smacked tommy doc, used to go with pete to some aways with the irlam & cadishead supporters club

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.