Maine Rd terrace characters

Janice was great in the souvenir shop unlike the grumpy twat who ran it. It was always a problem to him if you ever asked a simple question such as do you have that top in a larger size!! What was the name of the fit young girl who worked there around mid 80's?

JGL07 said:
portisheadblue said:
A couple of posters on here talked about the "the bus" from Aytoun Street in the 60's ... not sure how many buses there were but me and a mate of mine used to go on the bus for the far flung fixtures ... London, Ipswich and the like (note for the youngsters on here - there was no motorway all the way to London in those days).

Used to leave about midnight ... arrive London for breakfast, game of football in the local park then head off for lunch (beer and a pie), then the fun and then about midnight head back home arriving Sunday morning in Piccadily.

Memory is not what it used to be ... thought the coach was organised by "Les" but maybe that was just the guy we paid, we always had the same driver, one of the stand-out lads I remember was "Denis".

That might be Denis Locke. He was a top guy.

I went on that bus for a couple of seasons from 1965-67. The driver was called Paddy McGhee and it was always referred to as Paddy's Bus. We would often go to the match at Stockport on the Friday before going through to catch the bus at midnight.

We would always leave London (or Bristol/Southampton/Plymouth) at midnight and were dropped off at Parr's Wood and have to walk back to Cheadle Hulme at around 7:00AM.

I remember leaving at midnight for a match at Fulham and still missing the kick-off because we stayed too long in the pub.

Was one called Gingers?? when in London we always met up at Marble Arch..

Used to go to a pub called the Prospect of Whitby strange pub they smashed the glasses on the floor ???? dont ask me why know idea..

He was called Ginner and his sidekick was Ronnie lad who got his throat cut other lads who helped out were Frank Barlow and the two Twins.Remember the Marquiss well it was a great boozer.

Longsight-memories said:
JGL07 said:
portisheadblue said:
A couple of posters on here talked about the "the bus" from Aytoun Street in the 60's ... not sure how many buses there were but me and a mate of mine used to go on the bus for the far flung fixtures ... London, Ipswich and the like (note for the youngsters on here - there was no motorway all the way to London in those days).

Used to leave about midnight ... arrive London for breakfast, game of football in the local park then head off for lunch (beer and a pie), then the fun and then about midnight head back home arriving Sunday morning in Piccadily.

Memory is not what it used to be ... thought the coach was organised by "Les" but maybe that was just the guy we paid, we always had the same driver, one of the stand-out lads I remember was "Denis".

That might be Denis Locke. He was a top guy.

I went on that bus for a couple of seasons from 1965-67. The driver was called Paddy McGhee and it was always referred to as Paddy's Bus. We would often go to the match at Stockport on the Friday before going through to catch the bus at midnight.

We would always leave London (or Bristol/Southampton/Plymouth) at midnight and were dropped off at Parr's Wood and have to walk back to Cheadle Hulme at around 7:00AM.

I remember leaving at midnight for a match at Fulham and still missing the kick-off because we stayed too long in the pub.

Was one called Gingers?? when in London we always met up at Marble Arch..

Used to go to a pub called the Prospect of Whitby strange pub they smashed the glasses on the floor ???? dont ask me why know idea..

Wasnt there a guy known as The Vicar who used to knock around with Denis and his lads ?

there used to be this big fat greasy twat allways had a raincoat on ,allways stood at the front near the barrier one week noticed a couple of coppers with there uniforms on but normal jackets on stood near us . ask one of them what was going on they where watching him he was pressing up against the young girls at the front and getting his old man out they got the perv never saw him again ,that must have been 1970 ish

m27 said:
allan harper said:
M27 how do you remember that !
I was behind the goal when curley scored that pen, the reason I ask you is because my dirty rag mate was in stretford ene and he sed he had never seen a set of fans celebrate a goal like we did that night. We went absolutely raving mental. I got crushed jumped on and stamped on. Lol brilliant night. 10 men you couldn't beat 10 men

Mate, I was 16 years old and was at my first Derby away without my Old Man. I was transfixed by the big group of lads in the Stretford Paddock and then went barmy when Curley scored. Have you ever seen the footage on telly? It was weird, when Curley stepped up to take the pen our end was completely still (everyone nervous as fuck expecting him to miss) but as soon as the ball hit the net it was like 3000 lads bouncing on a huge trampoline. Amazing stuff.

We should have won that game though, but never mind. "Fuck off back to London...You couldn't beat ten men...."

Me and and 8 City supporting mates and 2 United fan mates were bang in the middle of the Stretford End for that game.

We all ran down to the bogs to celebrate the goal together.<br /><br />-- Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:04 pm --<br /><br />
fathellensbellend said:
m27 said:
fathellensbellend said:
3 of us were stood in that corner, we actually went with a utd fan, whom said to us, sorry lads i would sooner go and stand with my own fans there were that many city in there.

i cannot remember any trouble as such, plenty of verbals, and ultimately they cordoned the city fans off and held us back after the whistle.

and yes we certainly didnt hid the fact we were city fans, and when we scored it was like being on the kippax.

There was something special about that night. Eventhough we only got a point and really should have won, I had an absolute ball. The blue and white balloons given to us on entry, the Blues in the Stretford End, Dissa maiming Giggs, Whitey taking the piss out of Bruce, THAT legend who ran the length of the pitch, "Ten men, you couldn't beat ten men...." Great memories.

I always ask this but if someone can find on-line footage from this game please put in on here. I remember having a video of the game and I must have worn it out rewinding the Curle pen over and over again to watch us lot go mental behind the goal.

i remember coton coming to the stretford end, and our group in the corner singing england's england's number 1 to him, he look very suprised to say the least.

whatever utd fans say, city fans absolutely took the piss that night, and there is no way they would have done the same on the kippax

We always had loads in the Stretford Paddock which was the corner and the paddock in front of the Main Stand. I can remember singing City songs in there we had so many. I was in there for the 2-2 in 85 the day before the Derby and the Brightwell rocket.

We always seemed to lose when I went in our end at the hovel.

The guy who ran out of the away end at leeds with the big over coat on was Johnny Boardman, it was 1971 boxing day, we lost 1-0 Allan Clarke scored because George Heslop tried to get the ball back to the keeper instead of wellying it out

Mark Bitner has a restaurant near Javea halfway between Benidorm and Valencia he was the Fan on The Board and still had the Jag with Kippax as the reg
I luckily managed to avoid most of the trouble but I do remember his cape and helmet.
I also seem to remember Tiny (at least I think it was the same Tiny as I know he had something to do with either Mercer Celtic or the other team Allison rovers?) after a game at Burnley think it was the '68 6-0?, when he led thousands out of the ground toward the town centre and he was crying saying how proud he was of the lads.
Happy days especially dodging the trouble.

TheGhost said:
m27 said:
allan harper said:
M27 how do you remember that !
I was behind the goal when curley scored that pen, the reason I ask you is because my dirty rag mate was in stretford ene and he sed he had never seen a set of fans celebrate a goal like we did that night. We went absolutely raving mental. I got crushed jumped on and stamped on. Lol brilliant night. 10 men you couldn't beat 10 men

Mate, I was 16 years old and was at my first Derby away without my Old Man. I was transfixed by the big group of lads in the Stretford Paddock and then went barmy when Curley scored. Have you ever seen the footage on telly? It was weird, when Curley stepped up to take the pen our end was completely still (everyone nervous as fuck expecting him to miss) but as soon as the ball hit the net it was like 3000 lads bouncing on a huge trampoline. Amazing stuff.

We should have won that game though, but never mind. "Fuck off back to London...You couldn't beat ten men...."

Me and and 8 City supporting mates and 2 United fan mates were bang in the middle of the Stretford End for that game.

We all ran down to the bogs to celebrate the goal together.

-- Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:04 pm --

fathellensbellend said:
m27 said:
There was something special about that night. Eventhough we only got a point and really should have won, I had an absolute ball. The blue and white balloons given to us on entry, the Blues in the Stretford End, Dissa maiming Giggs, Whitey taking the piss out of Bruce, THAT legend who ran the length of the pitch, "Ten men, you couldn't beat ten men...." Great memories.

I always ask this but if someone can find on-line footage from this game please put in on here. I remember having a video of the game and I must have worn it out rewinding the Curle pen over and over again to watch us lot go mental behind the goal.

i remember coton coming to the stretford end, and our group in the corner singing england's england's number 1 to him, he look very suprised to say the least.

whatever utd fans say, city fans absolutely took the piss that night, and there is no way they would have done the same on the kippax

We always had loads in the Stretford Paddock which was the corner and the paddock in front of the Main Stand. I can remember singing City songs in there we had so many. I was in there for the 2-2 in 85 the day before the Derby and the Brightwell rocket.

We always seemed to lose when I went in our end at the hovel.

After winning the FA Cup, the biggest buzz I've ever had watching City.

The late Mikey Williams sorted local lads from Moss Side and Withington with Paddock tickets.

It was well planned. I was 16 and had all arranged to meet up at the front of the paddock, we started to recognise faces and all congregated together.

About ten minutes before kick-off we went for it 'City's here, City there...' Blue Balloons.

We watched as their lads from Stretford End started jumping into the paddock.

The idea was to beat the year Giggs 'scored' on his debut and we lost 1-0.

I'd say a couple hundred got in that particular day and the plan was to better it.

I'd wager there was a good 500 Blues and Tony Coton was pissing his sides coming out for second half 'Tony Give us a wave'.

United fans started crushing us from the back of the paddock and it was an absolute fucking free-for-all getting to the exits.

Like I say, a memory which will live long.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.