Maine Rd terrace characters

levets said:
Anybody remember Ray Drobny, from Oldham?.. Hard as nails.. Used to wear a pinstripe suit with 'Manchester City football club' in the stripes. Got married in it..

He was one of the Derker Blues mid - late 70's. Along with Terry Banham, Kev 'wilkie' Wilkinson, Mad Mick, Sharkey & Pete Jilkes... These lads were game fuckers. Will all be mid - late 50's now. I went to wembley in 76 with this lot... a real eye opener for a 17yr old!

I know Ray, hes only recently finished working with us. He got banned from COMS for somthing and nothing, (according to Ray). Still a mad blue and still as hard as f*ck.

citijen said:
Mark Bitner has a restaurant near Javea halfway between Benidorm and Valencia he was the Fan on The Board and still had the Jag with Kippax as the reg
I luckily managed to avoid most of the trouble but I do remember his cape and helmet.
I also seem to remember Tiny (at least I think it was the same Tiny as I know he had something to do with either Mercer Celtic or the other team Allison rovers?) after a game at Burnley think it was the '68 6-0?, when he led thousands out of the ground toward the town centre and he was crying saying how proud he was of the lads.
Happy days especially dodging the trouble.

do you have the name of Marks place in spain?? last spoke with him about 3 years ago but lost his phone number..think i remember that bloke tiny at Burnley...lol

chumpster1 said:
levets said:
Anybody remember Ray Drobny, from Oldham?.. Hard as nails.. Used to wear a pinstripe suit with 'Manchester City football club' in the stripes. Got married in it..

He was one of the Derker Blues mid - late 70's. Along with Terry Banham, Kev 'wilkie' Wilkinson, Mad Mick, Sharkey & Pete Jilkes... These lads were game fuckers. Will all be mid - late 50's now. I went to wembley in 76 with this lot... a real eye opener for a 17yr old!

I know Ray, hes only recently finished working with us. He got banned from COMS for somthing and nothing, (according to Ray). Still a mad blue and still as hard as f*ck.

Fucking good lad was ray... went to leeds with him, the day the opened the south stand.. Chaos!!! But he wasn't scared of them... gave as good as he got....

mad as fuck... tell him sholver Ste say's hello

My brother and I sat in the North stand, in its final 5 years and it was full of characters there, it was brilliant. One chap in particular, was known as "crowface", he was always up for a laugh, I remember him smoking this huge cigar once which came out of a mini coffin, he sat near, not sure if with though, John Gregory, it wasn`t John Gregory, just a top lookalike.
Anyway, Crowface lives on as my mate caught him on the tele at the semi final, so no doubt someone will recognise him.
Here he is:
IMG_0513.jpg

chumpster1 said:
levets said:

Wasn't there a picture and a bit of a feature about that suit in one of the programmes last season? Or was it in a thread on here?

ninbelindur said:
My brother and I sat in the North stand, in its final 5 years and it was full of characters there, it was brilliant. One chap in particular, was known as "crowface", he was always up for a laugh, I remember him smoking this huge cigar once which came out of a mini coffin, he sat near, not sure if with though, John Gregory, it wasn`t John Gregory, just a top lookalike.
Anyway, Crowface lives on as my mate caught him on the tele at the semi final, so no doubt someone will recognise him.
Here he is:
IMG_0513.jpg

He's go's in 117-116 area

chumpster1 said:
levets said:

Also know him very well and see him regular, Yes he got banned in the first season at coms for shouting "racist" abuse.... Calling Seaman a "long haired Gypo bstard", he took City to task over it, won his case, but never stepped foot in the place since.

Longsight-memories said:
Was one called Gingers?? when in London we always met up at Marble Arch..

Used to go to a pub called the Prospect of Whitby strange pub they smashed the glasses on the floor ???? dont ask me why know idea..

The coach was organized for a spell by Ginger (usually called Ginner because there was another Ginger on the bus).

The Prospect of Whitby was the idea of Eddie McMullan (who was an Irish fireman and a top blue). He knew loads of pubs in London. We usually followed his recomendations.

The Prospect of Whitby was (is?) in Wapping (before Murdoch transformed it) and was always rammed and people either dropped their empty glasses on the floor or dumped them into the Thames because it was next to impossible to get back to the bar. The landlord would retieve the glasses in the river at low tide.

They used to sing lewd rugby songs at the Prospect. Wapping High Street was weird. It was all high warehouses and a narrow street with the Prospect the only attraction.

I went back a few years later and the Prospect had been sanitized and was full of German tourists. There were signs up about no rude songs allowed!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.