Maine Rd terrace characters

I remember Mark Bitner, kippax legend, I couldn't believe my first day at teacher training college and there he was up on stage with the principle, he was the student union rep! Last I heard he was running a bar in Spain.
There was also Gyp, he was a scrawny little git who wore a union jack as a cape. Went away everywhere with him. Remember him crying, as we all were, when Tommy Booth scored in the cup semi against Everton.

mancityvstoke said:
paulchapo said:
onelife said:
always had cotton wool in his ears.

Yes i think he did looking back!!

remember him and about 20 others in the Boothen End at Stokes Victoria ground and running across the pitch back to us in the open end opposite.

Bring back terracing.
Yep, i remember that, i was with him. All the lads who used to go then, blimey. Slater, scotty, daffy etc and us younger ones used to tag on.

Bitner now has a table in the Director's Suite and goes to pretty much every home game - probably 4 stone heavier these days and wears a coller and tie to the game (how the years fade you). In fact there a few old faces from the 70's who now sit in the 'posh' seats. A guy called Vince Palmer who got thrown out of the ground every other week in the 70's is a regular in one of the luncheon suits. There was also a curly headed lad from around Belle Vue called 'Lathy' who was as game as they come and who I still see regularly sitting in the padded seats in the Colin Bell L2. He's lost the curls and put on the timber, but I saw him rolling about on the floor at Old Trafford last year when Aguero scored, so age hasn't fully caught up with him yet. Others I see of the same vintage include a guy who I only know as 'Geezer' and another called 'Rio' (no relation) who are still regulars home and away and have been for 40 years.

erast fandorin said:
Pez died earlier this week,City lad,late 70s/80s from Moston well known of that time
Just seen this, shite i remember Pez. We all went to games together, in punk and new wave/ casual gear, i think you could call it. Remember Stoke one year, some stokies chuddering on what they were going to do to City fans, dressed in boots and turned up jeans. Bit of a shock for them seeing lads with hair colouring , baseball boots or trainers and Fred perrys, offering them out. He was a game lad Pez, used to be at all the concerts at Belle vue , the Apollo and the Ranch playing all the best tunes. A belated R.I.P.<br /><br />-- Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:47 pm --<br /><br />
Hung said:
Bitner now has a table in the Director's Suite and goes to pretty much every home game - probably 4 stone heavier these days and wears a coller and tie to the game (how the years fade you). In fact there a few old faces from the 70's who now sit in the 'posh' seats. A guy called Vince Palmer who got thrown out of the ground every other week in the 70's is a regular in one of the luncheon suits. There was also a curly headed lad from around Belle Vue called 'Lathy' who was as game as they come and who I still see regularly sitting in the padded seats in the Colin Bell L2. He's lost the curls and put on the timber, but I saw him rolling about on the floor at Old Trafford last year when Aguero scored, so age hasn't fully caught up with him yet. Others I see of the same vintage include a guy who I only know as 'Geezer' and another called 'Rio' (no relation) who are still regulars home and away and have been for 40 years.
Geezer and Rio still go, as do most of the lads from Gorton from that era. Les Tate, Worthy, Codge etc.

Seems to have been two lads called Les back then? Tate & Cracknell?? which was the one who got in the NOTW for stabbing Chelsea fans at the Bridge?

Les Tate is being deployed as a bit of a hero but stabbing people isn't my idea of brave. Was it Cracknell with the blade?
Yes it was Les Cracknell think he got 50p for each one he stabbed

Pete the badge was in Piccadilly station on Wednesday night after the game. A City fan was having a selfie with him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.