Maine Rd terrace characters

Off the top of my head the United names I remember from the early 70s -
Sid Shock
Freddie North
Pubby (cos he lived in a pub in Wythenshawe)
Timmo, Tiger, Graham Pare, Jack Barton, Pat Ginty, Geoff Lewis, Judda Drury, Mick Madden, Steve Pare, Shaun Staunton, Geoff Wilcox, Derek Mcwilliams,
Off the top of my head the United names I remember from the early 70s -
Sid Shock
Freddie North
Pubby (cos he lived in a pub in Wythenshawe)
Steve Allen, Donovan, Phil Oliver. I knocked about with them all either in town or Wythenshawe. All game lads for rags

Timmo, Tiger, Graham Pare, Jack Barton, Pat Ginty, Geoff Lewis, Judda Drury, Mick Madden, Steve Pare, Shaun Staunton, Geoff Wilcox, Derek Mcwilliams,

Steve Allen, Donovan, Phil Oliver. I knocked about with them all either in town or Wythenshawe. All game lads for rags
Nice one Doddy. I was hoping you saw my post on the old United guys as I knew you would know some of the names.
The only one you mentioned that I had heard of was Donavon.
They were all names that I had heard from Jimmy Pownall ,who was the older brother of Barry.
As I mentioned a few years ago on here,we were friends of your cousin Keith back in the 70s.
Cheers pal.

Fuckin top post!

My hat is tipped in your general direction sir.
Can I just had my first game was with my dad and has we walked together towards the kippax it was the floodlights that amazed me first and then we went in but we were late for the kickoff and if my memory serves me right it was Leicester we were playing and we were already winning. Anyway we stood right at the top of the kippax and my memory was I couldn’t see fuck all but behind me was all the cool kids stood above on the corrugated back wall. I thought to myself I wouldn’t have no chance with that lot at school.

Can I just had my first game was with my dad and has we walked together towards the kippax it was the floodlights that amazed me first and then we went in but we were late for the kickoff and if my memory serves me right it was Leicester we were playing and we were already winning. Anyway we stood right at the top of the kippax and my memory was I couldn’t see fuck all but behind me was all the cool kids stood above on the corrugated back wall. I thought to myself I wouldn’t have no chance with that lot at school.
I was about 11 before I graduated to the spikes on the back wall. We decided to give it a go one day, and once we'd scaled the heights it was magic. Being right behind the 'choir' and able to see over everyone's head was worth the occasional spiked backside.

I can't remember who we played on my Maine Road debut in 60/61 but if I close my eyes, I can still picture the rain sheeting across the giant floodlights, and smell the clouds of pipe baccy.

I really miss the Kippax.

I grew up in Benchill and remember Eggys Hamnet from a big family who weñt all over with the rags. He died coming back from an away game on a football special as he put his head out of a window in a tunnel and a train coming the opposite way took it off.

I went on Paddy’s coach quite a few times with a group of lads from the Red Rose/Black Boy in Wythenshawe but there were lads from all over Manchester.
It was on the coach I met Dennis Lock and we became a mates. Other names I remember are Spider, Johny Kaye,The Vicar, Dave Heap, Jimmy McMullen, Len the Spew, Johnny Andrews, Ginger Johnstone, Davy Mac, Johnny Yarwood, Les Lowe, Jack Whitely the Hince brothers, who said they were related to Paul Hince the occasional City player and later journalist.
It was Jimmy Mac who introduced everyone to the Prospect of Whitby.
Dennis was a proper Jack the lad. I remember coming out of OT after the 69 derby and a rag rode past on a scooter mouthing off until Denis knocked him off the scooter, a bit of a scuffle followed and possibly an arrest or two.
The guys on the coach loved the midnight departures, which were sensible for the long trips but Paddy was persuaded to do a midnight run for Rotherham.
My first trip was to Pompey New Years day 1965. A guy in the Scoreboard end organised it, can’t remember his name but he was eventually replaced by Trevor from Northern Moor.
Great times.
There used to be two coaches leaving from Aytoun Street. One was Paddy’s coach the other was organised by Trevor (Best?). Eventually the two coaches merged with Paddy as driver. Trevor gave up organising the coach and Ginner (not to be confused with Ginger Johnson) took over. Ginner had almost lost his thumb in an industrial accident and used the some of the compensation money to run the coach.

Eddie McMullan was the one who knew all the pubs in London. He was a fireman from Northern Ireland based in Cheadle Hulme fire station although he lived in Wythenshawe. He had a younger brother called Jim who later was also a fireman at Cheadle Hulme.

I remember Len Lowe (my namesake). He met a girl at an away match in Southampton. As far as I recall, he married her and moved to Southampton.

Later I bought a car and used to travel to away matches with Mike Parker, John Kaye, and Ian McKerrica? (Macca).

I remember most of the names cited including Len the Spew (he worked for a stockbroker), Dave Heaps, plus also Mike Millward, Bryan Chiles, and many more.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.