Maine Rd terrace characters

mancunial said:
late sixties early seventies, les tate, george mcguire, mark britner these lads were very handy to have around seen george last season in the family stand always found them good lads, they got into big trouble on the london underground if i can recollect back in mid seventies travelling to west ham? lifelong true blues always have respect for them?

Met Mark a few years ago on Crewe Station and he invited me out to his own Pub next to a Golf Course,in Staffs.Had a great meal and we spoke for ages about our away trips in the late 60/70s.
Was with him when he pulled a "flicky knife" out on 3 Dippers on Crewe Station.Good job I was with him as they all came from my home town so he just waved them on.Laughed like fuck at the time,as I was only 18/19,as they legged it quicker than dose of clap in a convent !
He scammed us some Rail tickets on the Friday (Manc - London Return) for
the WBA League Cup Final and he ended up with my missus best friend for the weekend.
Ah those were the days !! Cups,Cups and more Cups.

raglanblue said:
Bluemanc1968 said:
Ask him if he remembers ''Strafford Upon Avon'' LOL was a nightmare, Cainy, Cagze, Haigy all fighting with the locals got thrown out of Boozer, went back to the van and it was smashed to bits, was like custers last stand 12 against 50 yocals. fucking cold trip home that night! LOL
was in stratford on avon that night;in another van;and remember the yocals were after blood;i think a few blues had wrecked one of their pubs;and one of them had also had the days take away;could have played oxford that day.
Yes it was coming back from Oxford mate!! it kicked off about a hour into us getting into Stratford!! there was quite alot of trouble in Rugby on the same night with blues coming back from the game, I must admit did not think we were going to get home, good job we had some handy lads with us or we would of got murdered!! It all started with Cagze getting refused a beer in the pub we were in! then its just went off like a wild west film! Cainy was fighting with the doorman who ran at everyone with a baseball bat!! glad those days are over in general, was shiting myself, i was only about 17 at the time!!!!

mancityvstoke said:
I remember mick the idiot (Stoke away running out the Boothen), Daffy (The Clarence), D Bigga, Geezer and Jap (Gorton), Sinbad (also ran into Derby fans alone on the pitch at Derby away last game one season), Debbie and Tony, Pez (Perry Boys, always in the AWAY section of the Kippax) Pat B (now Cheadle?), F Pratt (massive fight outside OT on Warwick Road Bridge with Utd) The lads from Bramhall, Longsight, Withington (wooley), Burnage etc (C Burns, G hayes, too many to mention)

There were loads of little crews in those days.

Evening all 1st post on here so be gentle, been watching the Blues since 1960 so fortunate enough to have seen some good times. Re Mick the idiot he didn't run out the Boothen that day as he didn't have to, not with a Firemans axe hidden in his Crombie. Happy days in Gorton early 70's anyone remember George Maxwell who lived near Mick he was a handy lad to know. Went with him to Albert Square to see the open top bus parade one of the many cups, half our class at Spurley Hey missed double Maths, only the girls stayed! CTID

Has anyone seen the guy who doesn't look too disimilar from Father Jack in Father Ted? Red face, always has a plastic shopping bag with him and shouts "City" incoherently. He always seems pissed but I suspect he may have other issues. I last saw him at Villa Park a couple of years ago and he was attracting the attention of the lovely chaps from West Midlands police.

A couple of posters on here talked about the "the bus" from Aytoun Street in the 60's ... not sure how many buses there were but me and a mate of mine used to go on the bus for the far flung fixtures ... London, Ipswich and the like (note for the youngsters on here - there was no motorway all the way to London in those days).

Used to leave about midnight ... arrive London for breakfast, game of football in the local park then head off for lunch (beer and a pie), then the fun and then about midnight head back home arriving Sunday morning in Piccadily.

Memory is not what it used to be ... thought the coach was organised by "Les" but maybe that was just the guy we paid, we always had the same driver, one of the stand-out lads I remember was "Denis".

We only did it for a couple of seasons ... then my mate bought a car and I moved to the big smoke.

Nowadays, I occasionally see Eddie Large (of Little and Large fame) around our way and we have a bit of a natter about the good old days and the current days too ... mostly we both watch live on TV or the internet...!!!!!!

Cheers

Quality thread, some right chesnuts in here.

Regarding the lad who wears the scottish hat with the ginger hair coming off the hat whom Felix refers to...

Quality lad. Been going to city for 32 years now, home and away. Was indeed in the Kippax every game many moons ago. My bird happens to sit behind him at COMS, says he is funny as fuck.

Johnny Marsden. (wrote all over Marsy was here MCFC)
Johnny Muir (his mam had the pub end of dickinson road)
Stan Hayes Nipper Bert & Tracker the first city skin heads..with army pants & docs.
Les tate.. i know him well Goton Mount pub..
Slim Jim from Gorton.. skinny as f***
Paul Passmore & his brother ALWAYS fighgting rags..
Paddy (think he is a full time tramp now)

Barry Gates.. lol...

portisheadblue said:
A couple of posters on here talked about the "the bus" from Aytoun Street in the 60's ... not sure how many buses there were but me and a mate of mine used to go on the bus for the far flung fixtures ... London, Ipswich and the like (note for the youngsters on here - there was no motorway all the way to London in those days).

Used to leave about midnight ... arrive London for breakfast, game of football in the local park then head off for lunch (beer and a pie), then the fun and then about midnight head back home arriving Sunday morning in Piccadily.

Memory is not what it used to be ... thought the coach was organised by "Les" but maybe that was just the guy we paid, we always had the same driver, one of the stand-out lads I remember was "Denis".

We only did it for a couple of seasons ... then my mate bought a car and I moved to the big smoke.

Nowadays, I occasionally see Eddie Large (of Little and Large fame) around our way and we have a bit of a natter about the good old days and the current days too ... mostly we both watch live on TV or the internet...!!!!!!

Cheers
it was les Tate who run a bus also a guy called Ginger use to run one from Aytoun street..remember being on it for the toon v city game when we won the league.

I know Mark Bitner very well he lives in Spain now..
Les tate also know very well use to go in the Gorton Mount on Mount road..

Me (and a couple of mates Nipper & Bert Frank..Tracker,Barry Gates Mick Akin Mick Hodgson,Stueart Gibson who lived next to the ground + a few others ) use to go on the aytoun street bus..and Yellow ways but if it was London..

We were before the cool cats... and always had lots of fun..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.