Maine Road or Etihad

Started going to Maine Road on a regular basis in 74 and was a S/T holder till 93 when other priorities such as family took over. Saw some great moments such as the 10-1 and the two 5-1's the Colin Bell comeback on Boxing Day and some not so great, Alf Grey in 81, Raddy Antic in 83, the Dave Watson own goal in 76 which arguably lost us the title that year.Atmosphere was brilliant in those days.
Went a few times over the ten years till we moved but felt that it had lost something when it became all seater and as others have said it was the right time to move been some great games here as well. Hamburg, United 2012, QPR two weeks later and the 2019 Liverpool game.
The Etihad is a class above Maine Road in terms of facilities and access however what made Maine Road different was that people could stand up to watch a game which in itself creates a better atmosphere

I love Maine Road but I'm going to say Etihad purely because of the mainly happy memories and success.

Really depends on your age , Maine Rd for me because they were my formative years of being a blue , very different era and expectations compared to the Etihad "match day experience".

One of my fist jobs as an apprentice for Post Office telephones in 1966 was working with a gang pulling in new cables for an OB (outside broadcast) from Maine Rd for an upcoming MOTD. I was 16. Has to be Maine Road for me, happy memories.

I quite like both as stadiums tbh, but my heart will always be at Maine Road, it's the ground I grew up with, some great memories, good and bad, but for location, Maine Road wins hands down, far far easier for us to get to and away from living on the South side, plus the old bus depot on Princess road, the roads, the alleyways of Moss Side, they all had a certain charm, Etihad's a fuckin nightmare, and always feels quite barren around the ground and characterless.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.