Maine Road or Etihad

The Etihad is obviously a modern and superior stadium, but the Maine Road experience and day out was better. Football now is a bit over produced, over stewarded a bit flat, it used to be raw and edgy, and I don’t just mean the violence. To do a music comparison, the Etihad is like a big gig at the Arena, Maine Road was more like the Academy, not so sophisticated. Had the Aguero goal gone in at Maine Road they would never have got the game started again :)

Went to my first city at maine Road, so it will always be maine Road for me.
Was working on maine Road a few weeks back and it brought back a lot of memories... Good and bad.
First game I remember there was in 78, against one of the Milan teams in the UEFA Cup iirc, though I may have been to a West Ham league match that year too.
Have loved them both if I’m honest; too easy to get rose-tinted about the old place. I do think think our current home is showing signs of wear and tear and concrete corrosion.
I’d be keen to visit the new spurs ground to see what state of the art feels like these days (although preferably when they weren’t playing)
@dawlish dave good to see you posting on here btw.

I preferred Maine Road, so many years and so many memories, some of them were even good. I do however think it is football that has changed in general and become less passionate, I think the stadium is only a relatively small part of it

The Maine Road I first went to in the 50’s was a superb stadium compared to most others in the country. As it was developed, in a hotch potch of uncoordinated stands, it started to drop down the pecking order to the new and better developed stadiums.

Moving to the CoM Stadium was the shot in the arm the Club needed. It is a by product of the new all seater stadiums that the atmosphere is not what it used to be. We are no better or worse in that respect from other clubs.

I loved Maine Road with all its foibles, but for me the Etihad is far superior.

The Maine Road I first went to in the 50’s was a superb stadium compared to most others in the country. As it was developed, in a hotch potch of uncoordinated stands, it started to drop down the pecking order to the new and better developed stadiums.

Moving to the CoM Stadium was the shot in the arm the Club needed. It is a by product of the new all seater stadiums that the atmosphere is not what it used to be. We are no better or worse in that respect from other clubs.

I loved Maine Road with all its foibles, but for me the Etihad is far superior.
Measured sensible post. Agreed.

Maine Road. The Ethiad is a step behind the best new grounds like Spud’s and some of the German ones.

It’s a shame Maine Road couldn’t have been redeveloped in the way Celtic Park or Villa Park were.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.