Maine Road or Etihad

Wow. Thanks for that. Great picture, don’t think I’ve seen it before.
I remember well the big Culvers garage, lived opposite the Kingsway Hotel for many years.
Watched City home and away plus reserve and youth games. Basically anything at Maine Road.
Moved to London in 1969 and then to York in 1974 (and yes I was there in the Family Stand)
Part now of a good group of York based City fans and can't wait to start travelling over to games again.
Still meet up at half time with one of my old Manchester mates.
To return to topic, Maine Road has great memories and like many others it nurtured my love of everything City but we are a very different club now at a standard on and off the field I never dreamed of.
Happy days.

Where can I buy a pair of your rose tinted specs?

For one thing the Kippax terracing was too shallow and hard to see anything if stuck behind a couple of 6 foot guys so many would not have actually seen 93.20. The atmosphere was only good at certain games and rarely in the main stand.

Maine Road was primitive in the 1960's when "improvements" started. It was a dump by the time we left. Keep the good memories though.
100% agreement from me. The sightlines in the Kippax were bad unless you were over six foot tall. The only time I regularly went in the Kippax apart from my first few matches was when the Scoreboard end was being re-built as the North Stand. I moved to the North Stand once it had been opened and got my first season ticket when the seats were installed.

I had moved away from Manchester before Swales managed to destroy the stadium. I recall attending a League Cup tie against Chelsea in 1993 when I was in Manchester on business. I made the mistake of queuing at the Kippax and did not get into the ground until 25 minutes after the kick-off because of congestion. The crowd was 16,713 (or so Mr Swales informed everyone).

Being away and making only fleeting visits to Maine Road, I was spared the fiasco of the 'downsizing' of the stadium under Swales. When I started to go to Maine Road in 1963, the capacity was 64,000. By the time I moved away in 1977 it had been reduced to 52,600 partially due to seating in the North Stand.

By 1993 the Umbro Stand had replaced the Platt Lane End (with capacity falling from 9,702 to 4,548) dropping the capacity to 39,359. Two years later the Kippax was demolished (original capacity 26,155 reduced to 9,882) leaving Maine Road to 31,147. After shoehorning some open-air seats in the Gene Kelly the capacity finally ended up at 31,150.

It's not that the new Kippax Stand was small. It was massive, the highest in the country at the time?. It just had very few seats in it. I think the third tier had two rows of seats. This botched redevelopment uprocess made the move inevitable, particularly with the expanding fanbase.

The other problem with Maine Road was its location made transport problematical.It is some way from a railway station (Oxford Road?) and not on any tram route and not ideal for car parking. I lost count of the time I have a car broken into, or car radio nicked, or vandalised.

I remember well the big Culvers garage, lived opposite the Kingsway Hotel for many years.
Watched City home and away plus reserve and youth games. Basically anything at Maine Road.
Moved to London in 1969 and then to York in 1974 (and yes I was there in the Family Stand)
Part now of a good group of York based City fans and can't wait to start travelling over to games again.
To return to topic, Maine Road has great memories and like many others it nurtured my love of everything City but we are a very different club now at a standard on and off the field I never dreamed of.
Happy days.

Alas the Kingsway pub is no more, it's been demolished and now houses are being built on the land.
In my youth it was a Berni Inn before a multi-room pub

Of course it was a dump. But it was our dump.
It wasn’t even a dump. Two of the stands were newer, by the time we left in 2003, than the Etihad is now. We had ruined Maine Road from its 85,000 heyday, it was hotch-potch and far too small, but it wasn’t a dump.

The Etihad is nice from a distance at night, but I don’t think it’s nice up close in the day. It’s quite average really.

Those giant poster type things plastered all over the stadium make it look like a teenager’s bedroom wall, it’s not a classy look at all. And, i don’t know if anyone’s ever noticed, but there’s a lip of glass/Perspex running round the top of the stadium, just under the roof, that looks like it hasn’t been cleaned once in 18 years.

Inside the stadium is nicer. Although, the seats are the wrong shade of blue. And really it’s a bit too nice in terms of not being an imposing stadium because tiers split up fans into smaller chunks which makes songs carry around the ground poorly (all of our best atmospheres have not been the singing type of atmospheres, the best ones are always when everyone is just shouting encouragement and giving the opposition and officials shit).

I’d give my left bollock to have the East Stand knocked down and replaced with a new Kippax, one giant superstand, safe standing.

Happy days.
But do you ever buy the beers at half time?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.