Maine Road or Etihad

But do you ever buy the beers at half time?
Not sure where this is leading but no, never have a halftime pint. Meet up with a City mate from the 60's.
The Kingsway was obviously my local but never went in before I was 18. My Dad used it as did other pals Dads.
Used the pubs on Stockport Road near to Albert Road.
Played darts on a Thursday, as rubbish then (and now). Remember an old boy telling me I'd be better throwing the board at the darts.

Pubs, yes we had some good ones around Maine Road, Getting off the 53 we would walk down Claremont Road, never bothered with the Lord Lion, but had a little crawl around the Sherwood, the Osborn and the Gardner's, the last one was my favourite as you could always get served, this is missed but we have to move on.

Not sure where this is leading but no, never have a halftime pint. Meet up with a City mate from the 60's.
The Kingsway was obviously my local but never went in before I was 18. My Dad used it as did other pals Dads.
Played darts on a Thursday, as rubbish then (and now). Remember an old boy telling me I'd be better throwing the board at the darts.
Flats on the Kingsway now

The Union or the Albert?
Or the Old House at Home in the opposite direction?

Always used to meet up in the fallowfield Arms and then wander down to the Platt Lane complex for another couple just before getting into the ground and plenty of half decent chippies near the ground. Loved Maine Road but I suppose times move on. Filmed a video of my dad as a youngster trying to climb in the ground with a ladder dressed in hob nailed boots and flat cap when he retired in early 90s with me acting as him. Everyone at the ground were helpful when they realised what was happening. This is your life type story interviewing his old neighbour in blackley when he was a kid in the 40s and amazed she still lived in the same house and remembered him

There’s a lack of decent boozers close to the Etihad. Well over a dozen have closed down since we moved there, which is bizarre!

Town isn’t close enough to the ground to watch the entirety of the early game and get to the Etihad in time for the queues.

More boozers close to the Etihad would be my #1 thing to look at improving the match day experience! Even before any North Stand expansion.

i agree. The lack of pubs around the ground is rubbish. I don’t know what people do around there at the weekend.there’s f all there, other then some shops, it’s such a dull area.

we could do with some wealthy city fans buying some land and opening up some proper pubs.

Last edited:
My personal top three at Maine Rd.
1 Wigan play off
2 Liverpool 3;1; 1977
3; Liverpool 2 1 first home game one season under Reid.

My personal top three at Maine Rd.
1 Wigan play off
2 Liverpool 3;1; 1977
3; Liverpool 2 1 first home game one season under Reid.

Yeah the 2-1 win over Liverpool was a cracking atmosphere. It had the drama of a ‘Geoff Hurst’ type goal by David White (which took an age before it was given), the anxiety of Liverpool battering us for the last 20 minutes as Pacman and Mike Marsh dominated proceedings, and our record signing (Keith Curles) home debut.

i have mixed views had great days at both, the first 5-1, blackpool at home in div 2 3-0, then of course the goat showing neville his arse, ali bernabias debut,
but for me i miss the pre match buzz at maine rd, pissed up in the bee hive, city chippy and then onto the kippaxx or north stand
just my opinion
Talking of pre match buzz...Maine Road wins every time.
I remember walking past the back of the North stand,before the 5-1 1989 Derby, an hour and a half before k.o,making my way to Rawcliffe steet to a mates house ....utd fans were giving it the big un inside the ground, they had turned up early as it was in those days...i heard the chant Utd !! Utd!! Utd!!!..quickly followed by the Kippax chanting Shit !!! Shit!!! Shit!!
It was loud ,brutal and tribal...this was my first ever Derby match and i just iGulped....nowhere near k.o,and already the atmosphere was rising inside the ground..i was buzzing, never known anything like it.
Moments like that,will never be forgottrn.we,d not long just come up from the old 2nd Division,...celebrated the first goal jumping all over the kippax,but the 2nd goal,i will never forget the shock/roar/ jubilation when Morley put us 2 up!!!! The look of amazement on everyones face on the Kippax..
Our bunch of promoted, home grown kids...were 2nil up against money bags utd. Maine Road,and in particular ,the Kippax terrace are for me,the fondest of memories.

Talking of pre match buzz...Maine Road wins every time.
I remember walking past the back of the North stand,before the 5-1 1989 Derby, an hour and a half before k.o,making my way to Rawcliffe steet to a mates house ....utd fans were giving it the big un inside the ground, they had turned up early as it was in those days...i heard the chant Utd !! Utd!! Utd!!!..quickly followed by the Kippax chanting Shit !!! Shit!!! Shit!!
It was loud ,brutal and tribal...this was my first ever Derby match and i just iGulped....nowhere near k.o,and already the atmosphere was rising inside the ground..i was buzzing, never known anything like it.
Moments like that,will never be forgottrn.we,d not long just come up from the old 2nd Division,...celebrated the first goal jumping all over the kippax,but the 2nd goal,i will never forget the shock/roar/ jubilation when Morley put us 2 up!!!! The look of amazement on everyones face on the Kippax..
Our bunch of promoted, home grown kids...were 2nil up against money bags utd. Maine Road,and in particular ,the Kippax terrace are for me,the fondest of memories.

Prematch is very different.

We regularly, during the 90s, entered the Kippax, 1:30/1:45, to take our position up on crazy corner and already the singing would have started between ourselves, congregated above the white tunnel adjacent to the away fans section on the Kippax and the away fans. That side of the gane has definitely gone, now its turn up 5 mins before,

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.