man city's greatest

MaineRoadBlue said:
goater1978 said:
buzzer1 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgi_Kinkladze

The myth of kinkladze being our greatest ever player continues!

No myth to be had at all. Most individually gifted player ever to put on our shirt. Yes he was not always consistent, but his peak was better than anything I have seen in 40 years and the closest I have witnessed to the levels produced by Messi.

He was that good that even when he picked the ball up in his own half you fully expected a 50 yard dribble and shot on goal.

Perhaps a better title for this thread would have been which player has had the greatest influence in his time at the club?

To that question you really can take your pick of

Meredith, Woosnam, Doherty, Clarke, Paul, Ewing, Trautmann, Bell, Summerbee, Oakes, Doyle, Tueart, Corrigan, Goater, Tevez, Silva, Kompany or Yaya.

For me it is just swaying towards Yaya, mainly due to his goals that have enabled the winning of trophies. Utd Semi, Stoke Final, Newcastle League, Chelsea Shield and Sunderland Final.

Robinhio had more individual skill than Gio.

Gio is a player we all look back on as being better than he actually was. Great player but not as good as some people think. We have world class players now and for some reason people like to look back at Gio and think he is better than what we've got now!

If he was he would have had a better career!

I was getting really despondent reading through these posts until the last couple of pages when at last I saw Colin Bell's name mentioned. I guess it's an age thing but for those not old enough to have seen him play there is a real reason why there's a stand named after him.

Great though Silva is and he is a fantastic talent, he does lack some key talents Bell had. The King scored 117 goals in 394 appearances playing in midfield. He could head, shoot, tackle and go past people. I know it wasn't in the same manner or grace that the Spanish magician can do it, but he was an incredible player.

Silva isn't a great goal scorer and does lack confidence when presented with opportunities. He ain't great in the air either. Don't get me wrong he is brilliant and would walk into all top teams but Bell at his peak would have too and would have been sold in today's money for about £50-£60 million.

The question was man city's greatest hence I bet in 20-30 years time there isn't a David Silva stand.

Londonblue20 said:
I was getting really despondent reading through these posts until the last couple of pages when at last I saw Colin Bell's name mentioned. I guess it's an age thing but for those not old enough to have seen him play there is a real reason why there's a stand named after him.

Great though Silva is and he is a fantastic talent, he does lack some key talents Bell had. The King scored 117 goals in 394 appearances playing in midfield. He could head, shoot, tackle and go past people. I know it wasn't in the same manner or grace that the Spanish magician can do it, but he was an incredible player.

Silva isn't a great goal scorer and does lack confidence when presented with opportunities. He ain't great in the air either. Don't get me wrong he is brilliant and would walk into all top teams but Bell at his peak would have too and would have been sold in today's money for about £50-£60 million.

The question was man city's greatest hence I bet in 20-30 years time there isn't a David Silva stand.

An excellent post and bang on the money.
There is only one 'King'

TGR said:
Londonblue20 said:

An excellent post and bang on the money.
There is only one 'King'

I'm with you also Silva has breathtaking skill and his creativity is what makes us tick, he has flaws though lack of goals and confidence in front of goal , poor heading ability no doubt through his lack of height and physical stature. Colin didn't have any flaws he was the most complete package I ever watched live unfortunately my time watching Colin at his best was fleeting as he suffered his horrific injury within months of my first visit to maine rd and in my eyes never recovered I love the guy to this day just wish I'd seen more of him at the peak of his footballing powers he was awesome !

goater1978 said:
MaineRoadBlue said:
goater1978 said:
The myth of kinkladze being our greatest ever player continues!

No myth to be had at all. Most individually gifted player ever to put on our shirt. Yes he was not always consistent, but his peak was better than anything I have seen in 40 years and the closest I have witnessed to the levels produced by Messi.

He was that good that even when he picked the ball up in his own half you fully expected a 50 yard dribble and shot on goal.

Perhaps a better title for this thread would have been which player has had the greatest influence in his time at the club?

To that question you really can take your pick of

Meredith, Woosnam, Doherty, Clarke, Paul, Ewing, Trautmann, Bell, Summerbee, Oakes, Doyle, Tueart, Corrigan, Goater, Tevez, Silva, Kompany or Yaya.

For me it is just swaying towards Yaya, mainly due to his goals that have enabled the winning of trophies. Utd Semi, Stoke Final, Newcastle League, Chelsea Shield and Sunderland Final.

Robinhio had more individual skill than Gio.

Gio is a player we all look back on as being better than he actually was. Great player but not as good as some people think. We have world class players now and for some reason people like to look back at Gio and think he is better than what we've got now!

If he was he would have had a better career!
You are not letting go are you mate... Gio was the greatest blue I have ever seen play.. no tinted specs at all and he would walk into our current team, I M O:)..

There have been loads of players that haven't gone onto so-called greatness, I will give you just one..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U65TfXRyj78[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Jc3elruak[/youtube]

RIP Davie, one of the greatest.

dabo.jpg

David silva is the best player ever to play for City, no doubt, closely followed by bell ya ya & tevez

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.