Manchester’s Changing Skyline

While still not brilliant, it's certainly better. I find a lot of the proposed buildings that are being shown on here (granted, they're artists' impressions) are not particularly pretty to look at. There was a video posted on the forum a while back, of some guy doing a tour of the Refuge building (fuck Kimpton); now THAT is a building. And yes; I realise that the cost of constructing such a building, on the scale of some of the other ones going up, would be prohibitive. I guess I'm looking at it through an FOC's eyes. Give me buildings like Chetham's or the Town Hall any time.
Oh, no doubt. No skyscraper will never be in the same class as Chetham’s or the Town Hall. All the world’s best skylines are cities like Washington DC and St Petersburg where they have no skyscrapers.

But I do like some of them and I do like buildings like the proposed High Street, Sunlight House etc… something a bit different than just a box of glass.

Oh, no doubt. No skyscraper will never be in the same class as Chetham’s or the Town Hall. All the world’s best skylines are cities like Washington DC and St Petersburg where they have no skyscrapers.

But I do like some of them and I do like buildings like the proposed High Street, Sunlight House etc… something a bit different than just a box of glass.
Yeah; some of the new ones are okay-ish. A lot of them, though; hmm. Cost, though, would be the issue. How much would a carbon copy (down to the last window catch) of the town hall cost to build? And as for the cost of a similar site (in terms of size and prominence)? Wow.

Yeah; some of the new ones are okay-ish. A lot of them, though; hmm. Cost, though, would be the issue. How much would a carbon copy (down to the last window catch) of the town hall cost to build? And as for the cost of a similar site (in terms of size and prominence)? Wow.
A carbon copy of the Town hall cost? Put it this way the refurb going on at the moment is costing £325 million and I read the other week they need an extra £30 million to finish it off.

A carbon copy of the Town hall cost? Put it this way the refurb going on at the moment is costing £325 million and I read the other week they need an extra £30 million to finish it off.
Pre-bloody-cisely. You couldn't do it, unless you had a benefactor called Gates, Job or (wait for it, wait for it) Mansour.

The video is dated, but the pictures are from yesterday. The last 2 pictures are taken from the top floor of the Circle Square car park

No3 Circle Square - Office - 15 fl - Circle Square - City Centre

3.jpg

DSC03987.jpg

DSC04001.jpg

DSC04000.jpg

DSC03995.jpg

DSC03999.jpg

I work in Circle Square #2 (two days a week, anyway). The two buildings still aren't full so I guess they are expecting an influx of companies over the next few years.

If you want a really good panorama of Manchester, two very good places are Lyme Park - walk up the path to 'the Cage'. And The White House pub, Blackstone Edge near Littleborough. Of course, in both cases, a clear day helps. But Manchester looks amazing from up there.
Tour de Manc brings you home via Norden towards Heywood where the wind turbines are. Decent view from up there.

I have a client who has completely renovated several Yorkshire stone mills. The rebuild costs are 3-4 times the value of the investment. In some cases, the value of the stone is higher than the capital value of the property, which is nuts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.