Manchester’s Changing Skyline

It’s brick, Jim. Brick is never bland. :-)

It’s going to look superb.

It wouldn’t look out of place in New York or Chicago.

View attachment 122028

View attachment 122029

View attachment 122030

The thing is Jim, apart from London, there isn’t another UK city that has got such a fantastic mix of old and new buildings, (Manchester red) brick and glass buildings, side by side, in juxtaposition to one another, creating an interesting, varied, and vibrant street scape. That’s why I love walking around Manchester City centre. New and interesting streetscapes and city centre districts are being created all the time as the city centre grows outwards, and ghost car parks and derelict plots of land in and around the city are being redeveloped with new buildings.
Agreed 100% about brickwork. It knocks spots off concrete or cladding. But....... It's bloody purple/violet/maroon/indigo/whatever label you want to stick on it.

It’s brick, Jim. Brick is never bland. :-)

It’s going to look superb.

It wouldn’t look out of place in New York or Chicago.

View attachment 122028

View attachment 122029

View attachment 122030

The thing is Jim, apart from London, there isn’t another UK city that has got such a fantastic mix of old and new buildings, (Manchester red) brick and glass buildings, side by side, in juxtaposition to one another, creating an interesting, varied, and vibrant street scape. That’s why I love walking around Manchester City centre. New and interesting streetscapes and city centre districts are being created all the time as the city centre grows outwards, and ghost car parks and derelict plots of land in and around the city are being redeveloped with new buildings.
Is it brick or brick clad though?

I’m with @jimharri on this. All we’ve got is mass and density at the minute. Not one stand out modern building.

Mind you; I’ve been thinking about this. How many cities actually do have one (or more) stand out buildings? Particularly modern ones? Not many cities do I would argue. Think of London and you think of the Shard or the Gherkin. Think of New York, One World Trade centre, Empire State and the Chrysler.

I just want one goddamned one that stands out from the rest, and that you associate with Manchester. The Beatham tower is probably it at the moment which has surprised me as it’s grown on me since it was put up.

Don’t get me wrong, the development in town is brilliant. I just wish the architecture was more ‘interesting.’

I’m with @jimharri on this. All we’ve got is mass and density at the minute. Not one stand out modern building.

Mind you; I’ve been thinking about this. How many cities actually do have one (or more) stand out buildings? Particularly modern ones? Not many cities do I would argue. Think of London and you think of the Shard or the Gherkin. Think of New York, One World Trade centre, Empire State and the Chrysler.

I just want one goddamned one that stands out from the rest, and that you associate with Manchester. The Beatham tower is probably it at the moment which has surprised me as it’s grown on me since it was put up.

Don’t get me wrong, the development in town is brilliant. I just wish the architecture was more ‘interesting.’
Thank you. You can stay!

Agreed 100% about brickwork. It knocks spots off concrete or cladding. But....... It's bloody purple/violet/maroon/indigo/whatever label you want to stick on it.

If the weather holds out this weekend I’m going into town. I’ll make sure I’ll take some close up pictures of the House of Social brickwork.

Last edited:

Bar the Shard, the Gherkin, One Canada Square, Canary Wharf, and the dreadful Walkie-Talkie in London, and maybe Beetham tower in Manchester, I don’t think any other UK city has a residential or office tower that is instantly famous or recognisable.

In my opinion St Michaeal’s tower will be recognisable due it’s design, cladding, and location close to Manchester Town Hall and the Civic Quarter, and Viadux 2, because of it’s sheer height and elevated location, rather than it’s design.

1718140247377.jpeg

Bar the Shard, the Gherkin, One Canada Square, Canary Wharf, and the dreadful Walkie-Talkie in London, and maybe Beetham tower in Manchester, I don’t think any other UK city has a residential or office tower that is instantly famous or recognisable.

In my opinion St Michaeal’s tower will be recognisable due it’s design, cladding, and location close to Manchester Town Hall and the Civic Quarter, and Viadux 2, because of it’s sheer height and elevated location, rather than it’s design.
I hope you’re right matey, but only time will tell. It does look decent to be fair.

As an example, I was watching a programme set in LA the other night. I can’t think of one recognisable building there! Am I being ignorant??

Love this place. Would probably never get commissioned today, and may never get to be completed- and therein lies part of its beauty.

1718140924185.jpeg

More brick at street level, this time at One Port Street.

McCrory Holdings.

Things are really taking shape now at the Port Street Project for Renaker.The blockwork and brickwork is flying up so keep on the lookout for regular updates.

IMG_1410.jpeg

IMG_1409.jpeg

IMG_1411.jpeg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.