Manchester’s Changing Skyline

How about this Jim? Recently landed on the MCC Planning Portal.

1111 Cross Keys Street

Erection of part 8, part 9-storey residential building (Use Class C3) comprising 99no. residential units with communal space, landscaping, infrastructure and other associated works.

View attachment 120859

View attachment 120860

View attachment 120861

Again; it's very box-y. There's nothing that grabs my attention there. I'm not having a go at you, by the way jrb. You're just the messenger. There's been a few that haven't looked too bad. I think there was a circular tower block earmarked for somewhere.

Again; it's very box-y. There's nothing that grabs my attention there. I'm not having a go at you, by the way jrb. You're just the messenger. There's been a few that haven't looked too bad. I think there was a circular tower block earmarked for somewhere.

I know you’re not mate. :-) It’s all about opinions and different tastes. I know exactly where you are coming from. And I understand your point of view.

I like uniformity. I like boxed towers. I like the American skyline look Manchester is getting. I much prefer that look over the Dubai skyline, and the City of London skyline filled with different shaped towers. Individually some of the towers look great, but as a group they look a mess and clash with each other, in my opinion.

E6-BFDBD6-74-D9-4-AFD-865-D-EB581-CE2-AB9-D.jpg

Boxed towers are easier and cheaper to build, and to clad. From a property developers point of view construction costs v returns are what’s important. Hence why the majority of towers in Manchester are boxed towers.

There are towers in the city centre that you could argue aren’t really boxed towers like Elizabeth, the Blade, Three60, Contour, St Micheal’s, Fusion etc. More of an issue in my opinion is the similar glass cladding style used on different towers.

This is the Vancouver skyline. Lots of people say it’s one of the best looking skylines in the world. As you can see the majority of the Vancouver skyline is made up boxed towers.

8EED7B01-1766-4C1F-A9C9-F6DAC86CB585.jpeg

I might be off work next week. Not sure yet. If I am I’ll try and do a ‘full’ city centre construction update, weather depending.

SalboyBen. Post 113.(currently last post)

Great aerial shots of the Obsidian site. The crane base is in place.

slb - X/Twitter

Love this view of the Manchester skyline from up above Dovestone Reservoir

IMG_1364.jpeg

In your opinion which property developer has done the best for Manchester and it's skyline in the last decade or so and which will be the best for Manchester in the future?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.