Manchester’s Changing Skyline

Andrew Fallon - Linkedin

A landmark day for The Manchester Metropolitan University as we officially take possession of our new £115 million Dalton Building - the largest capital project in our history (well for now anyway...)!

This state-of-the-art facility provides world-class laboratories, teaching spaces and research hubs dedicated to driving innovation in STEM fields like healthcare, sustainable energy, advanced manufacturing and AI.

The Dalton Building represents the culmination of over £400m invested in transforming our campus over the past decade, including state-of-the-art buildings for Digital Arts, Sports science and research, and more. As we celebrate our bicentennial, these facilities position The Manchester Metropolitan University as a global leader in learning, research and industry collaboration.

Congratulations to all who helped make this ambitious vision a reality. The future of science and engineering in Manchester starts now!

IMG-1489.jpg

IMG-1486.jpg

IMG-1487.jpg

IMG-1488.jpg

IMG-1483.jpg

IMG-1484.jpg

IMG-1485.jpg

I wish who ever owns the Arndale tower would reclad it. There really isn’t a place anymore for those 1970’s dirty and stained yellow tiles on the Manchester skyline.

Calvin Tse.

It was wonderful to visit One Victoria and check out the construction progress.

The view is incredible - Victoria station, the National Football Museum, Manchester Cathedral, and the Manchester Arndale are all right there.

Victoria Station is just a 2-mins walk. This location is truly unbeatable.

IMG_1491.jpeg

IMG_1492.jpeg

IMG_1490.jpeg

Eckersley O’Callaghan - Linkedin

Progress is apparent at 325 Deansgate, a 22-storey aparthotel tower situated in the heart of Manchester City Centre, where we're collaborating with SimpsonHaugh to deliver structural engineering. The reinforced concrete core was completed in April, marking a significant milestone.

The proposed development is a ground plus 21-storey building, accommodating hotel units and commercial and leisure floorspace associated with the aparthotel. The development also comprises two standalone units extending into viaduct arches located to the south of the site.

Currently, the initial phase of steelwork erection, covering floors 1-8, is well underway. Notably, temporary trusses are being constructed to support the 18-storey high overhang above the existing tram viaduct until the entire frame is finished. This aspect poses the most substantial challenge yet also forms a key feature of the building.

We are actively supporting both the contractor and design team to navigate through the ambitious programme constraints. We look forward to seeing the project develop.

IMG-1502.jpg

IMG-1503.jpg

IMG-1500.jpg

IMG-1504.jpg

Construction.co.uk

Gary Neville and his Relentless Developments team were joined by developer partner Salboy and main contractor, Domis, to mark the completion of mass excavation where the team have unearthed 50,000 tonnes from the ground to make way for the landmark 41-storey tower.

The celebration saw the team climb into the ground where the tower's foundations will be laid as the next stage of construction commences. This will see the creation of a 41-storey residential scheme comprising a 5 star hotel and the city’s very first branded residences.

Gary Neville, Director at Relentless Developments, commented: "Reaching this point in the construction of St Michael’s was really important as anticipation builds for the development’s 41-storey tower. We know this landmark building is going to become an iconic part of Manchester’s skyline and a wonderful addition to our great city."

Simon Ismail, Co-founder & MD at Salboy Group, added: "When we launched this scheme with Relentless last year, commencing construction of the 41-storey tower was always the milestone we at Salboy were looking forward to most. This marks the start of a really exciting period of construction and is a special moment for all the partners involved in this impressive development."

John Holden, Senior Project Manager at Domis, said: "This is one the deepest excavations the city of Manchester has seen, particularly in recent months, and it will soon be home to the foundations, car park and amenities upon which St Michael's’ 41-storey tower will be built. This is a huge milestone and marks the start of us constructing phase two of this wonderful scheme. Great work by the rest of the Domis team and all our partners."

manchester_skyline - Instagram

IMG_1505.jpeg

Last edited:
From this location there’s a nice upward step in the height of the towers from Axis to the South tower, New Jackson. Compare that to the same heights of Elizabeth, the Blade and Three60.

Liam Piercy - Linkedin

IMG_1513.jpeg

I’ll post the city centre construction roundup pictures tomorrow, including the pictures taken from the Cloud 23 Bar, Hilton Hotel/Beetham tower.

Which also include Bankside.

I don't live in Manchester get to a few games a season but had a great day yesterday looking around the centre for the first time in years, What a transformation, for the most part good. Highlights being, Greengate, new bailey/Spinningfields, had a pint in my first port of call down to Maine Rd the lass o Gowrie, the development on the old BBC site is fantastic, loved Ancoats, don't like the Northern Quarter. But the best is St Peters square looking past the old midland hotel to the Deasnsgate towers, no City in the UK outside London has a view like that. On the other hand no major city in the UK has Piccadilly gardens. Reasonably litter free, but the nihilistic graffiti taggers who think we are impressed by spraying their own name should be chained up in Albert Square and Birched, and i am not even joking.

Reactions: jrb
I don't live in Manchester get to a few games a season but had a great day yesterday looking around the centre for the first time in years, What a transformation, for the most part good. Highlights being, Greengate, new bailey/Spinningfields, had a pint in my first port of call down to Maine Rd the lass o Gowrie, the development on the old BBC site is fantastic, loved Ancoats, don't like the Northern Quarter. But the best is St Peters square looking past the old midland hotel to the Deasnsgate towers, no City in the UK outside London has a view like that. On the other hand no major city in the UK has Piccadilly gardens. Reasonably litter free, but the nihilistic graffiti taggers who think we are impressed by spraying their own name should be chained up in Albert Square and Birched, and i am not even joking.
The Gardens is a shithole. The most depressing part of the centre of Manchester, in my opinion.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.