Manchester’s Changing Skyline

Viability constraints have prompted Oval Developments to rethink its plans for the Manchester mixed-use scheme, with a reduction in office space planned.

1-DA11-F97-E304-4191-ADE1-0-B90-E1-EA8-F92.jpg

The developer won permission for its debut Manchester scheme last year. Designed by Studio Egret West, the project proposed a 45-storey skyscraper featuring 367 homes and a distinctive 350,000 sq ft office block rising to 19 storeys.

My client used to own the building to the left in the foreground. Not a fan of the additional storey.

You’ve got some very rich clients. :-)

I quite like the redevelopment of the building as a whole. I take your point about the additional storey, even though it follows the curve of the building, and is quite plain and inoffensive.

Viability constraints have prompted Oval Developments to rethink its plans for the Manchester mixed-use scheme, with a reduction in office space planned.

1-DA11-F97-E304-4191-ADE1-0-B90-E1-EA8-F92.jpg

The developer won permission for its debut Manchester scheme last year. Designed by Studio Egret West, the project proposed a 45-storey skyscraper featuring 367 homes and a distinctive 350,000 sq ft office block rising to 19 storeys.

I like that, how refreshing to not have yet another off the shelf Simpson Haugh design.

I like that, how refreshing to not have yet another off the shelf Simpson Haugh design.
The tower might not survive the redesign of the overall proposal? The office block is definitely going. Which is a shame because it looks great.

IMG_2883.jpeg

I quite like the redevelopment of the building as a whole. I take your point about the additional storey, even though it follows the curve of the building, and is quite plain and inoffensive.

And it is highly likely that is exactly what planners would have wanted to see and maybe even actively pushed.

Just not in character with the original building imo. It was a bit neglected - owners were just waiting for a developer to come along and take it off their hands.

Reactions: jrb

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.