Manchester’s Changing Skyline

I and many others do find some of the buildings going up in the city rather dull and boring, mainly due to Simpson Haugh being involved in too many designs. They seem to have one design sadly.

I think Simpson Haugh have helped shaped 'modern Manchester' for sure (Beetham almost a beacon for this) and I think Deansgate Sq are pretty special, but as we continue to build higher and bigger it would be nice to see some diversity in style (and I think that's beginning to happen - look at the tower posted a few posts back and St.Michael's for example).

I think Simpson Haugh have helped shaped 'modern Manchester' for sure (Beetham almost a beacon for this) and I think Deansgate Sq are pretty special, but as we continue to build higher and bigger it would be nice to see some diversity in style (and I think that's beginning to happen - look at the tower posted a few posts back and St.Michael's for example).
Gradually yes buy we do seem to have a proliferation of square grey towers.

The towers have planning permission. We all know Renaker don’t mess about. Given the warehouses on site are being demolished, it really wouldn’t surprise me if Renaker are about to start onsite.

The warehouses on the Transition site are also being demolished. But there are no proposals for the site yet. The rumour is a possible new tall for Manchester, taller than the Deansgate South tower at 201 metres/66 stories.(from SSC-MCR)
I know it's being worked on, but at early stages in design.

Reactions: jrb
Of course not -but as a general point. In our era it’s easy to dismiss what God and Faith meant to people in the 1920’s.

I think that was what I was getting at. It Isn't a general point, but rather somewhat a lazy flippant one, and a but predictable too. Old telephones had more chatacter than smartphones, and they don't make those like they used to either. Old wind up cars had more charm than some of the electric car sleeks today, should we wish for them to be built that way?

Plenty of old buildings I really like, properly stunning. Fair amount of forgettable stuff too. Same as with current buildings, and future ones. I just don't see the need to constantly compare, particularly as it isn't that relevant a comparison. As a common sweeping statement, one I regularly struggle with.

I like Spinningfields. It does look bit office generic, which it predominantly is, but it’s clean, tidy, well looked after, and has an interesting mix of buildings. The Civil Justice Centre/CJC is a wonderful building.

It does and it doesn't. The bigger and more prominent stuff, you are right. But amongst it, right decent mix. Scale, materials, even bits of old etc.

Interesting take. Can see it to a point, not entirely sure I'd agree. There is a recognisable look, but not as far as one template. Either way, if that is how you see the outcome, really not for lack of ambition or passion, more a difference in taste. And a lot does end up well finished. What/who is your preference, out of interest?
I'm not an architect, however I do see more variety in building design in London than in Manchester. Particularly the design of towers. With more curves and angles other than 90 degrees on display.

I'm not an architect, however I do see more variety in building design in London than in Manchester. Particularly the design of towers. With more curves and angles other than 90 degrees on display.
What we need is a 'Penrose Triangle' type structure. Impossible to build though. Maybe JRB can do us a sketch?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.