Manchester’s Changing Skyline

We had a couple of developers bring schemes in Manchester East (Mayfield area), only to have lenders decline on grounds of it being too much of a regeneration area, and a feeling Manchester could be saturated. These photos in the last few months seem to contradict that opinion. I personally feel it's going to carry on for the foreseeable. Just seen the latest Downing project at First Street - it's on a different scale - £400m and 1.800 units!

Yeah. East Village, not far from Mayfield, seems to be doing well.

Downing Living - First Street

I was a bit concerned by the CGI’s, but I’ve posted pictures of the glass cladding and it looks good, so I’m not overly concerned now.

Funding secured.

1674485537578.jpeg

Renaker looking for funding for Trinity Islands and Bankside.

1674485894339.jpeg

Not exactly related to this thread but a point of interest around it…

Already since the 2021 census, it is estimated that Greater Manchester’s population is 3,028,104.

B32E3892-E888-4D32-9765-4E6985FD7B3C.jpeg

In the 2021 census, Greater Manchester’s population had increased by 6.9% (185,272) to 2,867,800 in ten years. That was the largest population rise in the country.

Manchester’s population increased by 9.7% (48,800) to 551,900 in that time, Salford’s by 15.4% (36,000) to 269,900.

In 2004, just over 10,000 people lived in the city centre. Now just over 70,000 people do.

And, for me, you can feel all of that. I think we have too much traffic and not enough public transport. I find the roads are too busy even in the through the day outside rush-hours, when twenty years ago I used to find early afternoon comparatively quiet on the roads.

Lots of traffic in the city centre too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not exactly related to this thread but a point of interest around it…

Already since the 2021 census, it is estimated that Greater Manchester’s population is 3,028,104.

View attachment 66848

In the 2021 census, Greater Manchester’s population had increased by 6.9% (185,272) to 2,867,800 in ten years. That was the largest population rise in the country.

Manchester’s population increased by 9.7% (48,800) to 551,900 in that time, Salford’s by 15.4% (36,000) to 269,900.

In 2004, just over 10,000 people lived in the city centre. Now just over 70,000 people do.

To go up another 18,202 since that last census shows that the increase rate is steady and still in a rocket straight line since 2011.

And, for me, you can feel all of that. I think we have too much traffic and not enough public transport. I find the roads are too busy even in the through the day outside rush-hours, when twenty years ago I used to find early afternoon comparatively quiet on the roads.

Lots of traffic in the city centre too.
Was in town on Sunday before the match. The roads were rammed with vechicles, especially on Great Ancoats Street. The city centre roads are grinding to a halt. They weren’t built for so many vechicles. See the picture below. Traffic on Deansgate.

manchester_skyline - Instagram

70C4DA55-0C55-4F84-97F7-28276B9A7D6C.jpeg

The city changed rapidly over the past few years & in all directions.

Had a wander around Greengate over the weekend…wasn’t that long ago this was barren, but it’s now beginning to thrive..

Was in town on Sunday before the match. The roads were rammed with vechicles, especially on Great Ancoats Street. The city centre roads are grinding to a halt. They weren’t built for so many vechicles. See the picture below. Traffic on Deansgate.

manchester_skyline - Instagram

View attachment 66861
The traffic (and it’s fumes) makes the air feel dirty and makes the buildings filthy n’all.

Even new builds haven’t taken long to get dirty. Have a close-up look at those stone buildings built in St Peter’s Square no more than six years ago - proper dirty already. In another decade they’ll be dark in colour.

We have the worst air pollution in the country and have topped the worst for the whole of Europe:

Even during the 2020 lockdowns when barely anyone was out and about, our air pollution was classed as dangerously and illegally high:

And it affects our mortality:

If anyone is interested. See my post. #11,145

greggwolstenholme - Instagram

60-F8-C791-4-BC4-41-B3-9028-DF5-B4-E17-FB93.jpg

The traffic (and it’s fumes) makes the air feel dirty and makes the buildings filthy n’all.

Even new builds haven’t taken long to get dirty. Have a close-up look at those stone buildings built in St Peter’s Square no more than six years ago - proper dirty already. In another decade they’ll be dark in colour.

We have the worst air pollution in the country and have topped the worst for the whole of Europe:

Even during the 2020 lockdowns when barely anyone was out and about, our air pollution was classed as dangerously and illegally high:

And it affects our mortality:
Good info it's absolutely shocking. You can taste the fumes around the suburbs aswell.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.