Manchester’s Changing Skyline

I know it's being worked on, but at early stages in design.

3 screen grabs from the drone video showing the demolition of the warehouse/s on the ex-Transition plot of land.

Some great shots of the Blade and Three60. And Downing Livings, First Street development. Watch in HD. White cog.

E82CFEE4-4E3D-4482-9296-131E04EB48A9.jpeg

AD355F2A-99C1-44A5-A771-8002BCB91ECB.jpeg

D9F64B98-7EB6-4BE0-9E7B-3486C57E31FF.jpeg

Studio Egert West - Instagram

Oval Real Estate have submitted a planning application to Manchester City Council to redevelop the Albert Bridge House site on Bridge Street. The Studio Egret West designed scheme seeks to set a new standard for innovative, distinctive design in Manchester, creating an ambitious, welcoming and sustainable new city centre destination.

Our design takes three disparate spaces and consolidates them into a new accessible public realm, framed by shops, cafés and restaurants at the base of a large-scale office building and residential tower.

The new public realm will include a public square and enhanced river walk, complete with woodland glade planting, a revitalised ecological corridor along the River Irwell that retains planting and trees, augments with new planting, and hardscape areas to create a welcoming new public place for the people of Manchester to enjoy.

A new sustainable office building will provide 365,000 sq. ft. of high-quality and flexible workspace, designed to meet the needs of a range of occupiers and bolster Manchester’s already thriving economy. At 19 storeys, the office building embraces a stepped design, with a cascade of accessible green terraces and rooftop spaces to create a truly distinctive façade.

Providing 367 new Build-to-Rent homes, the residential tower is composed of 3 hexagons and will step up from 34 to 45 storeys in height and become a new landmark on the Manchester skyline.

3E63585A-1DCF-47F5-BB31-A3F0E7760A28.jpeg

7150A60D-5F5A-4657-B93F-29E48686E3C1.jpeg

C810B7CC-54A4-4D34-847A-BB25D7C0185D.jpeg

24FB46D0-D30B-4EB0-AD74-B2C4B350A52F.jpeg

B0861FC6-7396-479F-8CD2-BE9BDB1019B5.jpeg

There are more new CGI’s via the planning application.

Sadly my iPad kept on crashing as I scrolled through the large Design & Access Statement.(go to that in the full planning application)

Link to the full planning application below the CGI’s.

CBD0C7E1-E2C5-40EF-9A7B-9147CC69FA03.jpeg

7C111D27-2BB9-4A75-BC55-5DFC056C2516.jpeg

135834/FO/2022 | Creation of a mixed use development comprising two separate components in the form of an office building of up to 19 storeys with ground floor commercial, leisure, food and drink uses (All Use Class E (g)) and/ or drinking establishment (Sui Generis), and, a residential building up to 45 storeys (Use Class C3a) with additional roof top plant, basement car parking, cycle parking, landscaping and public realm, servicing and access arrangements, highway alterations and other associated works following demolition of the existing building complex | Albert Bridge House Bridge Street Manchester M3 5AH

Overal I like the proposal. It’s refreshingly and thankfully different. But I do have some concerns. See the enlarged screen grabs from the planning application below.

The office proposal looks great. No complaints about that. I do wonder if the planting on the balconies will ever see the light of day though.

The tower looks to have some issues that need to be addressed in my opinion.

The green crown looks awkward and weak.

The windows and grey cladding in the external innner part of the tower look poor.

The external cladding, which is rainscreen, isn’t great. TBH I don’t particularly like rainscreen cladding.

51E4555A-372C-42CA-8CD0-D436AFAD7DB0.jpeg
9C794249-1B82-4E6A-ABEB-6BDB96506063.jpeg

EC33A91C-0902-4D91-93EA-475DF548A709.jpeg

Overal I like the proposal. It’s refreshingly and thankfully different. But I do have some concerns. See the enlarged screen grabs from the planning application below.

The office proposal looks great. No complaints about that. I do wonder if the planting on the balconies will ever see the light of day though.

The tower looks to have some issues that need to be addressed in my opinion.

The green crown looks awkward and weak.

The windows and grey cladding in the external innner part of the tower look poor.

The external cladding, which is rainscreen, isn’t great. TBH I don’t particularly like rainscreen cladding.

View attachment 66715
View attachment 66719

View attachment 66716
Thanks as ever for yet more interesting & informative posts on this thread. Fwiw, I agree with your qualms about the proposed design.

Reactions: jrb
I need some help.

Does anyone know the name of this Golf course and the address? Can't find any specific info about it. I want to try and get on the golf course or close to the golf course so I can take some up to date pictures of the Manchester skyline. The only information I have is. (thanks)

Tameside boarder Werneth Low looking down to the Golf Course and the Manchester Skyline

Alamy pictures.

Mark Waugh / Alamy Stock Photo
Image ID:
2A1BW2F

View attachment 64643

View attachment 64644
I've ridden up there doing the Tour de Manc. Stunning backdrop.

Reactions: jrb
Construction on the 477-apartment One Port Street is set to begin soon, with hoardings going up this week.

Renaker Build is the main contractor for Select Property’s Manchester project, which was designed by architect SimpsonHaugh. The construction cost for the scheme was listed as £126.5m in 2021, according to a viability statement by Lambert Smith Hampton. The same report listed the gross development value of the project as £154m.

One Port Street will be the flagship for Select’s newest residential brand, The Prestige Collection.

View attachment 65689

We had a couple of developers bring schemes in Manchester East (Mayfield area), only to have lenders decline on grounds of it being too much of a regeneration area, and a feeling Manchester could be saturated. These photos in the last few months seem to contradict that opinion. I personally feel it's going to carry on for the foreseeable. Just seen the latest Downing project at First Street - it's on a different scale - £400m and 1.800 units!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.