Manchester’s Changing Skyline

Its the Simpson Haugh look.

Personally I wouldn't say they are ugly, but I do think they arnt that inspiring.

I also wonder how they will look and be considered in 30 years time.
Great article here about the tyranny of conformity in everything from art to architecture and design

Ugly identikit grey rectangles as usual
Zero architectural ambition
Where is our Bilbao effect?

TBF, there are 4 different shaped towers on the great Jackson Street site.

Deansgate Square x 4.

A 1m indentation on each tower face creates a vertical crease, breaking down each surface into two narrower planes. Adjacent tower faces receive subtly different colour tones, silver grey and anthracite, emphasising the crisp vertical lines of the four corners of each building.

The towers are clad using a fully glazed unitised, glazed curtain walling system with different panel types - fully fritted glass, partially fritted glass, rapid vents and clear glazing - arranged in a regular geometric composition, creating a uniform façade pattern over the full length and width of the towers.

The Blade and Three60.

Tower C4, positioned centrally, and orientated due south, has been designed to present a slender profile to the park, allowing the maximum amount of sunlight between the buildings into the public realm. The circular plan form of Tower C5 sits on axis with Victoria Residence on the peninsula of the site. A spiral cladding arrangement has been used to emphasise a feeling of movement around the cylindrical form.

Crown Street.

The elevations of the lower podium building each respond to orientation and the former Bridgewater Canal Offices in both scale and materiality. Brick provides a robust elevational treatment and appearance. The weathered, textured beige/buff brick constraints and complements the surrounding historic warehouse buildings and former Canal offices. The northwest elevation fronting Chester Road is much more open, providing active frontage along the well trafficked route. The northeast elevation has a tighter grain as it deals with the necessary servicing requirements of the development.

Each tower elevation acknowledges key approaches into the city. The more formal gridded elevation on C2 to the south west acknowledges the southern city gateway, while the primary elevation of the lower building C1 addresses Chester Road. A tartan grid on the primary elevations offers a subtle layering and arrangement of materiality types and finishes. Glazed, back painted and purge vent panels create a repeating pattern.

The glass cladding appearances on the different towers do change depending on the weather. When’s it’s a dull day, the towers do look darker, as posted in the picture. If it’s a sunny day, the glass cladding shines, sparkles and looks transparent. On sunny and cloudy days, the clouds reflect across all 4 towers, which looks spectacular. Best picture I could find quickly.

1680298371626.jpeg

Three60.

Manchesternigel.

22C1D183-5F63-448A-BBC3-CF543568E528.jpeg

Probably the next 2 towers to be built on Great Jackson Street?

Renaker - Residetial - 2 x 52 stories - Plot F

‘The external appearance of the buildings provide an elegant and slender form, with chamfered corners to provide further architectural interest to the buildings.

AEB3F305-42B6-4438-BF5B-BA21CE530E5D.jpeg

5FFFBFD9-B0CD-4E33-99A1-C367E909F77E.jpeg

CCD3BEF2-4134-460E-833F-4268DA2394AA.jpeg

DAA514F5-A79B-487C-A038-DC057E769CD4.jpeg

Its the Simpson Haugh look.

Personally I wouldn't say they are ugly, but I do think they arnt that inspiring.

I also wonder how they will look and be considered in 30 years time.
I have a good friend who worked for Simpson and Haugh. We used to go mountain biking with Haugh, she was nice. The only thing he ever said about Simpson was he had a head like a potato.

Is it to simple and selfish to say all midrise building proposals should be given to Ollier Smurthwaite Architects to design?

Manchester City Council has given the green light to a 39-apartment scheme on Stockport Road designed by Ollier Smurthwaite.

Views can now press ahead with delivering the £7m scheme, which will be constructed on a half-acre site at 788 Stockport Road, Levenshulme.

As well as almost 40 one- and two-bedroom apartments, the scheme is to feature 5,500 sq ft of ground floor commercial space.

1680514237017.jpeg

Link to the PNW article with more CGI’s and the planning application is below.

Salboy was looking at a 45 storey tower for the site. 1st picture.

The Studio Power-designed residential tower would be 26 storeys at its tallest. It would offer 31 studios, 93 one-bedroom flats, 111 two-bedroom apartments, and 15 three-bedroom ones.

If planning permission can be secured, the £53m project would see the building of 250 flats and nearly 1,000 sq ft of commercial space on land bounded by Trinity Way and William Street.

Euan Kellie Property Solutions submitted the application on behalf of a Salboy and Domis SPV known as Trinity 2.

06E33CDA-DF16-4DF8-9A19-B95E63FDA4F3.jpeg

99EE55D3-3263-4014-8B33-267CACDB9071.jpeg

BB77CBA6-512F-4AC5-AECC-635541767F23.jpeg

7FD79C68-AB5D-4669-9764-EB806AF45863.jpeg

2B1FE72F-737C-4007-B091-FA4166327530.jpeg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.