Manchester’s Changing Skyline

why have i got fuckin two
Not allowed to start thread so posting here. I love visiting England (mostly been to London, Oxford, Bath and Cambridge a total of 30 times). Is Manchester a worthwhile holiday or is it way down the list of places to visit within England? Would love to see City play, go to restaurants, walk around, etc.

Not allowed to start thread so posting here. I love visiting England (mostly been to London, Oxford, Bath and Cambridge a total of 30 times). Is Manchester a worthwhile holiday or is it way down the list of places to visit within England? Would love to see City play, go to restaurants, walk around, etc.
Manchester isn't a place to visit for a holiday - I'd go to the Lake District or Yorkshire Dale's but spend a couple of days in Manchester taking in a game or a concert.
Lots to see and do (national football museum, science & industry museum, art gallery etc etc etc)

Factory International Arts Centre has been partially opened allowing the public to see it for the first time close-up, including the new footbridge.

View attachment 85095

View attachment 85096

Video & Photographs via the Twitter link.

The new footbridge and reopening of Water Street has been super useful for me. Not only does it reduce the walk from my digs in Castlefield to Peel Park for my Saturday morning Parkrun to 20 minutes, it also makes my walk to Seven Brothers' Middlewood Lock bar less than 10 minutes.
Off to Factory International on Tuesday afternoon to see the balloon artwork.

Manchester isn't a place to visit for a holiday - I'd go to the Lake District or Yorkshire Dale's but spend a couple of days in Manchester taking in a game or a concert.
Lots to see and do (national football museum, science & industry museum, art gallery etc etc etc)

Yorkshire Dale's what?

:-)

Agreed. I love the place (it's my home city). But as a holiday destination? No. It's not particularly "tourist-y"

TBH Manchester doesn't have an attractive city centre compared to other UK and European cities. It's a working city centre with a lot of hussle and bustle. However, it does have a great mixture of old and new buildings side by side. I would say it's the best regional city for that. Only London is better. There are plenty of fine Victorian buildings to discover and look at, especially around the Civic Quarter/Town Hall. Unfortunately the Town Hall is closed at the moment as it's being refurbished. Many of the interesting and old buildings are spread throughout the city centre, so you'll need to do a bit of leg work to find them. Like most cities there are plenty of good restaurants, bars, pubs, etc. Manchester city centre has a very good Micro Brewery scene. Again, you need to find the Micro Breweries. Most are located around the back of Piccadilly Train Station and spread around the outskirts of the city centre. Manchester city centre is currently a big building site with towers and buildings going up everywhere. Salford Quays is worth a visit. It's 10 minutes from the city centre by tram. Or get the boat from the city centre to Salford Quays via the River Irwell. It's a nice cruise and you get to see quite a bit of the city centre from the ship. The Northern Quarter is good for independent bars, restaurants and shops. Avoid the Arndale Shopping Centre and Piccadilly Gardens. There aren't many city centre parks. Go to Mayfield Park. It's next to Piccadilly Train Station. It opened last year. Do a bit of homework before visiting Manchester. Research what you want to visit and where they are in the city centre. That way they'll be easier to find. Manchester has a very walkable city centre. A long weekend should be enough for a city centre break, including a City match

Embarrassing...
“And there are still problems, like the Bee bikes. Last week, Transport for Greater Manchester admitted that 564 out of the 1,000-strong fleet were out of action, blaming “wilful and malicious damage”. “

There was a Bee bike dumped near my house in Burnage, Trashed and damaged. They will be pulled eventually just like the Mobike's were.

“The Greater Manchester Cycle Hire Scheme,” Nickson says, “has been hugely popular so far, with almost one million kilometres ridden since its launch, and the majority of people are using the bikes as they should.

“Unfortunately, a recent spate of vandalism has meant that fewer bikes are available than normal and we would like to apologise to anyone that has recently been unable to access one.

“TfGM owns and manages the scheme, which is operated by Beryl, and we are working together to restore the availability of bikes as soon as possible.

“The increase in vandalism has resulted in a backlog of bikes in need of repair in the Trafford depot, as well as those in need of routine maintenance. Beryl has increased depot resources to speed up bike repairs and get them back out on the network for people to use.

“In addition, we have been experiencing increasingly high demand for our bikes, with usage around three times higher than expected, and following the opening of thirty new stations in the last month in Trafford and Manchester city centre we are also seeing a change in how they are being used.

“We would appeal to the small minority of people are misusing the bikes to please respect them and help us ensure our bikes remain available for other people to use.

“TfGM is working closely with Greater Manchester Police through the TravelSafe Partnership to minimise incidents of vandalism, theft and anti-social behaviour.”

No specific answers there and the message ends with an appeal to bike abusers to stop and be nice.

Nope, it means there are scarcely any bikes to hire.

F4135D0F-39F0-45C7-A7A4-1E19B6F82182.png

Visited the Factory International (sorry...Aviva Studios) today.

I've not been round that part of the city in ages but what an incredible transformation,

I know the building itself is getting mixed reviews (externally, I'm not too sure, and the underpass and internal foyer space is something else I'm not convinced with at the moment) but the space itself is very impressive. There's some serious kit in there and I think this is where it will really shine when it's complete and the big productions kick in.

Was speaking to someone working at the festival and she was excited about it.
Danny Boyle is planning a production to officially open later in the year (based on the Matrix I believe).

Cannot be less impressed than all the development going up around it too and the setting next to the Ordsall chord is just great.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.