Manchester City v Celtic post match thread

How long before kick off did that happen? Didn't know about that
About 30 minutes, then they never sent the notification that the match was actually starting.

Also, there was more City fan attendance back in 2018 in NYC for Liverpool vs City. Raleigh Durham isn't as big a place as people think. I had to drive 8 hours each way to make the match on time. From one side of Raleigh to the other is at least 1 hour of driving. UNC was out for summer break, and the parking lots and garages were jam packed, the facilities aren't designed for 35k people to come in from outside the college, most events anticipate a majority of attendees to be walking from dormitories. There was a 1.5 hour wait to get a photo with the trophy. If 10,000 more people attended, it would have been awful.

Edit: This photo was after nearly an hour of waiting in line.

Attachments

• 1000036729.jpg
    1000036729.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 44
I was there, they had a supporters club with probably 200+ of their fans in one area and they were organized. All the noise was coming from that one corner, not a mouse fart from anywhere else in the stadium when Celtic scored. Unfortunately Americans think the clapping "let's go city" chant is a real thing, so that's all you'd ever hear from our fans.

Also, they kicked everyone out of the stadium grounds for the lightning delay. Lots of people just left altogether, it was a total clusterf*ck. Took about 30 minutes just to get back in.

Yep, I was there with my fam and the security folk were telling everyone they had to leave the stadium due to severe weather approaching. Apparently they deemed it safer for us all to venture out to our cars (20 min. walk for us) than stay under the COVERED concourse section of the stadium. I politely told one security guy, you're gonna have to forcibly make me leave...I'm staying sheltered here if there's lightning out. Bunch of other peeps held firm too. Literally a few moments after he fucked off, they announced over the PA system that the game was back on and we could go back to our seats. Like you say though, tons of people had already left the stadium and had to go through reentry with their tickets and everything. Fucking shambles. I just don't understand the mindset of, hey...there's severe lightning, so run out to your deaths everyone rather than stay in this covered stadium. Insanity!

It is the 9th with 10 million - I noted that the 5th to 16th place range from 12 to 8 million and NC is just under half of 4th place New York at 19 million.
I guess what I should have said (or meant) is it is more of a rural state.
Of all the east coast states touching the Atlantic coast (13) it is the 3rd largest in size behind Florida amd New York. So although NC is way bigger than Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and New Jersey (for example) they are more densely populated than NC.
Fair enough.

I know you can drive for miles on the interstates in NC, without seeing any larger towns, but fucking hell, Charlotte is a big place.

Well, it is for me, compared to Budock Water!

American fans of a Scottish team booing an English player for choosing to play for his birth country instead of Ireland

View attachment 126308

I'm not sure it's that deep over there.

Probably some american celtic "fans" that watch the Premier League sometimes and heard Grealish gets boo'd now and again, so they thought they're meant to.

Agree but I think we need to be more precise about what meaning bigger is, without just saying "we are bigger" as it is open to interpretation and is ambiguous.

If we go back over the past 60 years, Celtic are the bigger club. Trophies galore (yes in a 2 horse race mainly, a 3 horse race when Aberdeen had their Fergie time and a one horse race when Rangers went bust) but a Euro Cup winner and a Euro Cup finalist in 3 years late 60's put them on the map.

But since the last 15 years despite still being the dominant side in the country, the club (and the league as a whole) have been going backwards both on the pitch and financially off the field, failing to make the CL qualifying rounds year after year.

And this is where City have become a bigger club. Both on and off the pitch. Matching Celtic's European Cup / Champions League record of being a winner and being runners up over a 3 year period, reaching the knockout stages for 11 years running on the pitch and going off the scales financially into a new stratosphere off the pitch.

Added to that, the rate of which City's world wide support has grown where as Celtic's will always remain as it is with Irish expats keeping the faith (literally) in all 4 corners of the world and that is why City have over taken Celtic in every aspect of the Football club
That's why I said at this moment in time. If Celtic could get into the PL then things could be different but that's not going to happen.

Yeah I suppose Boston City would take the L but that's quite specific and you've highlighted the reason. City do have large support in NYC overall from what I hear though(some of the biggest supporters clubs).

Just to be clear, your point is more that they are still relevant, not that you actually believe the myth that Celtic's global fanbase is 'still' bigger than City's, right?

Playing in Boston would have been similar to play Club America in Houston. And I don't think the fan split there was overwhelmingly against City but may be wrong.

About 30 minutes, then they never sent the notification that the match was actually starting.

Also, there was more City fan attendance back in 2018 in NYC for Liverpool vs City. Raleigh Durham isn't as big a place as people think. I had to drive 8 hours each way to make the match on time. From one side of Raleigh to the other is at least 1 hour of driving. UNC was out for summer break, and the parking lots and garages were jam packed, the facilities aren't designed for 35k people to come in from outside the college, most events anticipate a majority of attendees to be walking from dormitories. There was a 1.5 hour wait to get a photo with the trophy. If 10,000 more people attended, it would have been awful.

Edit: This photo was after nearly an hour of waiting in line.

Having been there for a football game when the stadium is full, the parking and crowd management is pretty awful given it is right on campus.

Chapel Hill has pushed for these games and I wouldn't doubt City was interested because Pep loves Michael Jordan. But as a way to cater to City fans in the US, there were much better locations available.

Good point and Saturdays game.will be the perfect opportunity to see the difference if there is one

There will be a lot of Milan fans there with the game in NYC. I would have driven up if they played in NJ but doing it at Yankee Stadium was a non-starter. Horrible to get to and awful place to watch a game. Understand why they chose the location but disappointing.

there was 15.641 at chelsea v wrexham ,, last night and13.000 at arsenal v b'mouth last night , lots off empty seats at both grounds .. think they have got the pricing wrong for these games in the usa
Same with a lot of the Copa America games this summer. They're trying to squeeze top dollar for nosebleed seats, and people aren't biting.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.