Manchester City v Celtic post match thread

Don't want to get too far into that topic but I think it's more to the point that City and the rest of the big 6 overtook like likes of Celtic and Rangers ages ago. Domestically in their country there is Celtic and Rangers, so it's fair to say they are have been a bigger deal in their own country than City have for 9/10ths but when was the last time Scottish football was as relevant globally as English football(has it ever been)? The English game wasn't always global either and the USA if we're focussing on that, has not historically taken to 'soccer' in the numbers it has today. Spurs are bigger than Celtic today IMO.

They cling onto absurd metrics such as the number of supporters clubs or the number of fanatics who have opened bars abroad(Scottish expats supporting Celtic?.. Wow). They can open as many supporters clubs as they like(we have more than Liverpool and United) and 'themed' bars too(bit tacky IMO) it doesn't really mean much though.

Take a look at the TV deals which is as good an indicator of the global interest as any. Scottish football is below Austrian, South African and Indian football on their deals. More in line with A-League(Australia). Though it also says, per game value Scottish Premiership ranks 10th. Probably something to do with the space Sky has for it, since they only show 60.

Anyway, Andy Townsend talks shite. City are definitely far bigger than Celtic globally today. So he can stop taking cheap shots now. I seem to remember he said City are bigger than Arsenal(I'm not sure we are globally yet) and Chelsea(yes) but not Celtic. So they're saying Arsenal are smaller too(who were bigger than them far sooner than we were). Sutton once claimed Celtic reserves are bigger than Leicester as a club too. Is it a cultish-hipster thing people do to appear trendy? They're not even Scottish, I don't get it. What are they even basing it on? It can't be global fans who aren't Scottish or Irish or CL appearances for as long as it's been called the CL. When the game truly went global. Celtic had as many CL appearances as City did in the 90s, if I remember right(zero).
Had the game been played in Boston or NY, there would have been 3 times the crowd there (if not more) and City would have been heavily outnumbered, as obviously the population is far greater than in North Carolina but also the plastic paddies would have been out in force. The fact St Patrick's Day is a huge day in many, many countries around the world (especially in the US) tells you how big Celtic's fan base is too around the world, not necessarily because they are football fans (most won't be) but because it is an extension of their plastic Irishness. Support by association.

Had the game been played in Boston or NY, there would have been 3 times the crowd there (if not more) and City would have been heavily outnumbered, as obviously the population is far greater than in North Carolina but also the plastic paddies would have been out in force. The fact St Patrick's Day is a huge day in many, many countries around the world (especially in the US) tells you how big Celtic's fan base is too around the world, not necessarily because they are football fans (most won't be) but because it is an extension of their plastic Irishness. Support by association.
Yeah I suppose Boston City would take the L but that's quite specific and you've highlighted the reason. City do have large support in NYC overall from what I hear though(some of the biggest supporters clubs).

Just to be clear, your point is more that they are still relevant, not that you actually believe the myth that Celtic's global fanbase is 'still' bigger than City's, right?

Last edited:
Yeah I suppose Boston City would take the L but that's quite specific and you've highlighted the reason. City do have large support in NYC overall from what I hear though(some of the biggest supporters clubs).

Just to be clearly your point is more that they are still relevant, not that you actually believe the horseshit that Celtic's global fanbase is bigger than City's right?
Yes agree.
As with both Old Firm clubs, it's hard to distinguish genuine supporters overseas (who watch games week in / week out) than those ''ex pats'' on both sides keeping the ''the sectarian shite'' alive in Australia, NZ, Canada etc etc without having any real involvement with either club - cup finals / old firm derbies apart
The one thing is though, their support won't grow and that is where they will be taken over by City and other PL teams. The Old Firm's new fans from overseas will only come from brainwashed kids that current fans have. They are not on TV here and never make the Champions League group stages so will not appeal to anyone looking to latch on to a club, where as City's fan base is growing year by year by the constant exposure via the PL and CL.

It’s not just Premier League though which you seem to keep referring to - they have been surpassed by every other league in world football.

They have been irrelevant for 20+ years and bypassed by so many other teams.
The only reason I mention the P L is that we are in that. I don't really care about other leagues etc, I'm only talking about City and the league we are in.

I couldn't care less that Real Madrid or Rapid Vienna are bigger than Celtic and Rangers.

Yes agree.
As with both Old Firm clubs, it's hard to distinguish genuine supporters overseas (who watch games week in / week out) than those ''ex pats'' on both sides keeping the ''the sectarian shite'' alive in Australia, NZ, Canada etc etc without having any real involvement with either club cup finals / old firm derbies apart
The one thing is though, their support won't grow and that is where they are / will be taken over by City and other PL countries. The Old Firm's new fans from overseas will only come from brainwashed kids that current fans have. They are not on TV here and never make the Champions League group stages so will not appeal to anyone looking to latch on to a club, where as City's fan base is growing year by year by the constant exposure via the PL and CL.
I agree with most of that too. Some of the Celtic and Rangers stuff goes beyond football and logic too which is why most people don't like getting into the discussion: "yeah Celtic are massive, can we move on now please". Everyone is a little precious about their club, I get that, but United fans, Liverpool fans, Arsenal fans now Celtic think City fans are supposed to just like or lump all these talking points they choose to drag City's name into, which irritates me. I don't like pointing things out like how far Scottish football has fallen behind but as long as they keep trying to have these conversations it's kind of relevant.

I remember showing Celtic fans in the comments of that talksport clickbait, the facts on: shirt sales, tv views, social media counts and so on, everything pointing to City being on another level. Asking them "which countries outside of Scotland and Ireland are Celtic bigger than City in exactly?" and what they have to back that up but it does no good. It will always be thing, no matter what facts we have to disprove the nonsense people throw at our fanbase. They still believe we can't fill our stadium.

Last edited:
I watched the game on YouTube and was surprised at how poor the Celtic support looked.
Looked far more City than Celtic.

Yeah, I think City would still lose the crowd battle in Ireland. They absolutely love Celtic there and Liverpool annoyingly. :)

I'm not hating on Celtic or Rangers to be clear(I've got no strong feelings about either club). It's just one of the sticks the anti-City mob use to beat City fans with, that gets annoying, because they make no sense.
that's stating the obvious is it not, its a religion thing. Celtic was probably established by Irish immigrants to Scotland.

I watched the game on YouTube and was surprised at how poor the Celtic support looked.
Looked far more City than Celtic.
As I've said already, the choice of city for the game was poor in terms of expecting a decent crowd. A low density area in a low populated state.
It's a student town and all the students have fucked off home for the summer.
Had Celtic played in Boston, NY or Chicago it would have been a different scenario

City are bigger than Celtic and every other club in Scotland at this moment in time and for the forseable future. If you went round the world asking general football fans which is the bigger club Celtic or Man City I think you would get a funny look as if to say is this a trick question. That's how big the gulf is now the PL has established itself as the number one league. You can't be a big club when your competing in a second rate league. Its alright having thousands of ex pats and 4 and 5 generation immigrants. Its ok having domination of all the catholic support in Scotland, but sadly that doesn't buy you the best players your still stuck in a tinpot league.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.