Manchester City vs Liverpool pre-match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
gungho-tactics said:
GazM said:
gungho-tactics said:
If i'm not mistaken, Anfield's pitch is small, if this is the case we have already won the game before it has started.

All PL pitches are the same size.

They aren't.

Our pitch is the biggest in the league.

That used to be the case but from the start of this season they changed the rules and now all Premier League pitches have to be the same dimensions (unless you are given special dispensation, which I believe Fulham may have got due to the fact Craven Cottage is simply too small to fit the standard sized pitch in).

In the 2013/14 Premier League Handbook we have the following:-

K.15. Unless otherwise permitted by the Board, in League Matches the length of the pitch shall be 105 metres and its breadth 68 metres.

K.16. The Board shall only give permission to a Club for the dimensions of its pitch to be other than as set out in Rule K.15 if it is impossible for it to comply with Rule K.15 due to the nature of the construction of its ground.

This thread is the opposite of rawk .. So so pessimistic.. I kinda understand that's the DNA of city fans... But as a side we are far superior than that lot... I really think only suarez and maybe skertal would walk I'm this city side

razman said:
This thread is the opposite of rawk .. So so pessimistic.. I kinda understand that's the DNA of city fans... But as a side we are far superior than that lot... I really think only suarez and maybe skertal would walk I'm this city side
Suarez would walk into the side, Gerrard would certainly get his fair share of games, for the time being anyway (he'll be 34 before the World Cup so is clearly on the decline at this point in his career) and Skrtel or Sakho might get a game, but that says more about the lack of decent options at centre half for City (other than Kompany) than it does the quality of the Liverpool pair.

You're right in as much as it's a City fan's second nature to be pessimistic and look at the glass as half empty, it comes from decades of underperforming and it'll take a while for many of us to adjust our thinking. Liverpool fans suffer from the same thing, but in the opposite direction, after a couple of decades of dominance they have found it hard to be objective about their team and it's prospects. That's why they are so certain they'll beat us, they can't switch their mentality from one of a dominant force to one of a decent side with a good chance but by no means favourites. It's also why "next year will be our year...." is a phrase regularly associated with Liverpool fans. This coming summer RAWK, as well as certain sections of the media, will be awash with people confidently predicting that Liverpool will win the 2014/15 Premier League, all of whom will wilfully ignore the comparatively easy ride Liverpool have had this season, with the 15 or so fewer matches they've had to contend with.

razman said:

But but but....according to some clown on RAWK this thread is full of arrogant City fans saying we're going to smash them on Sunday. I'd love to know which thread that poster was reading because it certainly ain't this one. I'm not denying that there is the odd comment here and there saying we will win but most posters on here are well aware of the threat that Liverpool pose.

Compared to this forum, the giddy-ometer on RAWK is off the scale regarding expectations for this match. Thankfully, the reality is that RAWK isn't particularly representative of your average match-going Liverpool fan. At least, I don't think it is!

What is this noise about Gerrard?

At no point in his career did he have the footballing intelligence and responsibility to play centrally. What's changed now his legs have gone? He just has less ability to stray from the middle of the pitch, he's still a very shaky player when his team don't have the ball.

If they don't play Lucas or whatever excuse for a defensive midfielder they can muster then Silva could have a field day because Gerrard won't get near him.

They have a very very fragile team defensively. The rest of the league is too poor to really test it but Coutinho, Sterling, Gerrard and Henderson are all attack minded players. We just need to play a strong dominant side and turn the screw.

Matty said:
gungho-tactics said:
GazM said:

They aren't.

That used to be the case but from the start of this season they changed the rules and now all Premier League pitches have to be the same dimensions (unless you are given special dispensation, which I believe Fulham may have got due to the fact Craven Cottage is simply too small to fit the standard sized pitch in).

K.15. Unless otherwise permitted by the Board, in League Matches the length of the pitch shall be 105 metres and its breadth 68 metres.

K.16. The Board shall only give permission to a Club for the dimensions of its pitch to be other than as set out in Rule K.15 if it is impossible for it to comply with Rule K.15 due to the nature of the construction of its ground.

City's pitch is 116.5 X 78 metres & is the largest in the PL
Pools is 110 x 75 - 15th in the PL (same size as Fulhams
Smallest is West Ham - 110 x 70

Think the dimensions above are minimum requirements

GazM said:
gungho-tactics said:
If i'm not mistaken, Anfield's pitch is small, if this is the case we have already won the game before it has started.

No they are not.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.openplay.co.uk/blog/premiership-football-pitch-sizes-2013-2014/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.openplay.co.uk/blog/premiers ... 2013-2014/</a>

---------------------------Hart---------------------
Zabaleta--Kompany--Demichelis--Clichy
-------------Javi Garcia--Fernandinho-----
Navas----------------Yaya--------Silva-------
-----------------------Aguero--------------------

I think we have to play Aguero. This is a massive game (potentially a title decider) and we have to play him IMO.

I would like to see Javi Garcia play and give us that extra protection. I don't like Yaya in a midfield 2 against the bigger sides, so would feel a lot more comfortable with Javi Garcia in there.

I'd move Silva slightly out to the left, despite how well he's been playing in the number 10 position. I think we have to play Yaya further forward rather than in a midfield 2 with Fernandinho. Silva wouldn't play like a winger, he would have the license to come central and get the ball to his magical feet.

Also, I think Clichy is better suited to this game as he's quicker to deal with Liverpool's pace and I don't think we need Kolorov's crossing in this game.

Liverpool 1-3 Man City is my prediction.

jimbo101 said:
Matty said:
gungho-tactics said:
They aren't.

The 2 quotes I've mentioned say nothing about them being minimum requirements, in fact K. 16 makes it very clear that they measures in K. 15 must be adhered too unless given specific permission by the FA Board. If they were indeed minimum measurements then you would expect the following:-

1 - For it to specifically state that they are a minimum required size.

2 - For there to be a MAXIMUM required size also stated somewhere within the Premier League guidelines.

If you are correct and they are indeed minimum measurements then the FA Handbook is piss poorly written.

jimbo101 said:

You've got your metres and yards mixed up. That dimension is yards which equates to 106.5 x 71.3 metres. That's 1.5 metres longer and 3 metres wider than standard if the figures are correct. Liverpool's is 100.6 x 68.6 metres according to your figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.