Manchester City vs Liverpool pre-match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matty said:
razman said:
This thread is the opposite of rawk .. So so pessimistic.. I kinda understand that's the DNA of city fans... But as a side we are far superior than that lot... I really think only suarez and maybe skertal would walk I'm this city side
Suarez would walk into the side, Gerrard would certainly get his fair share of games, for the time being anyway (he'll be 34 before the World Cup so is clearly on the decline at this point in his career) and Skrtel or Sakho might get a game, but that says more about the lack of decent options at centre half for City (other than Kompany) than it does the quality of the Liverpool pair.

You're right in as much as it's a City fan's second nature to be pessimistic and look at the glass as half empty, it comes from decades of underperforming and it'll take a while for many of us to adjust our thinking. Liverpool fans suffer from the same thing, but in the opposite direction, after a couple of decades of dominance they have found it hard to be objective about their team and it's prospects. That's why they are so certain they'll beat us, they can't switch their mentality from one of a dominant force to one of a decent side with a good chance but by no means favourites. It's also why "next year will be our year...." is a phrase regularly associated with Liverpool fans. This coming summer RAWK, as well as certain sections of the media, will be awash with people confidently predicting that Liverpool will win the 2014/15 Premier League, all of whom will wilfully ignore the comparatively easy ride Liverpool have had this season, with the 15 or so fewer matches they've had to contend with.
Very good analysis there, Matty.

Re: Liverpool Thread 2013/14 (continued)

M18CTID said:
Just posted this in the pre-match thread. Words fail me. Apparently, it's the crowd that our players need to worry about on Sunday and not their in-form team. Oh, and United fans on derby day aren't a patch on what Liverpool fans will be like on Sunday:

Ha ha what gobshites, met city fan through work today i said looking forward to sunday? he said oh yes, i said problem youve got is the crowd he said " ohhhh we dicked united the other week in front of 70 odd thousand fans screaming at us" i was speachless, there clearly in for a shock....

Is this the same crowd thats led them to " Zero,nada,nowt,nothing zero,0" titles wins in the last 24 years..

frightening... pampers all round lads..

west didsblue said:
jimbo101 said:
City's pitch is 116.5 X 78 metres & is the largest in the PL
Pools is 110 x 75 - 15th in the PL (same size as Fulhams
Smallest is West Ham - 110 x 70

Think the dimensions above are minimum requirements

You've got your metres and yards mixed up. That dimension is yards which equates to 106.5 x 71.3 metres. That's 1.5 metres longer and 3 metres wider than standard if the figures are correct. Liverpool's is 100.6 x 68.6 metres according to your figures.

They're all the same now anyway as from the start of the 2012-13 season. Or at least I thought so. Stoke famously had to widen their pitch to comply. Maybe it's only for UEFA competitions or something.

west didsblue said:
jimbo101 said:
City's pitch is 116.5 X 78 metres & is the largest in the PL
Pools is 110 x 75 - 15th in the PL (same size as Fulhams
Smallest is West Ham - 110 x 70

Think the dimensions above are minimum requirements

You've got your metres and yards mixed up. That dimension is yards which equates to 106.5 x 71.3 metres. That's 1.5 metres longer and 3 metres wider than standard if the figures are correct. Liverpool's is 100.6 x 68.6 metres according to your figures.

Quite right - yards not metres. The numbers are right but the demonination is wrong.
pools pitch is 110 x 75 YARDS
ours is 116.5 x 78 YARDS

my bad

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Matty said:
razman said:
This thread is the opposite of rawk .. So so pessimistic.. I kinda understand that's the DNA of city fans... But as a side we are far superior than that lot... I really think only suarez and maybe skertal would walk I'm this city side
Suarez would walk into the side, Gerrard would certainly get his fair share of games, for the time being anyway (he'll be 34 before the World Cup so is clearly on the decline at this point in his career) and Skrtel or Sakho might get a game, but that says more about the lack of decent options at centre half for City (other than Kompany) than it does the quality of the Liverpool pair.

You're right in as much as it's a City fan's second nature to be pessimistic and look at the glass as half empty, it comes from decades of underperforming and it'll take a while for many of us to adjust our thinking. Liverpool fans suffer from the same thing, but in the opposite direction, after a couple of decades of dominance they have found it hard to be objective about their team and it's prospects. That's why they are so certain they'll beat us, they can't switch their mentality from one of a dominant force to one of a decent side with a good chance but by no means favourites. It's also why "next year will be our year...." is a phrase regularly associated with Liverpool fans. This coming summer RAWK, as well as certain sections of the media, will be awash with people confidently predicting that Liverpool will win the 2014/15 Premier League, all of whom will wilfully ignore the comparatively easy ride Liverpool have had this season, with the 15 or so fewer matches they've had to contend with.
Very good analysis there, Matty.

There is something in our DNA about being a good side that just keeps fucking it up against bogey sides though. Like no other really.

And before anyone jumps in and says "yes but that was ickle city, we are not like that any more", how else do you explain 4 successive defeats away to fucking Sunderland FFS. Honestly you just could not make it up. 1 victory against Arsenal in London in 40 years.... etc etc.

Anfield has hardly been a place where we get more than our fair share, has it. So you can understand a bit of pessimism.

Personally, I think we are going to dick them this time around. They are no better a side than we beat 6-1 at old swampford. The scum finished on 89 points that year. Will Liverpool get 89 points? No.

Pool to choke on Sunday. This will be different type of pressure, which they will need to handle due to the anniversary. They will be expected to deliver and their fans will be expecting a big performance.

Don't concede in the first 20 minutes and play possession game. Keep first 10 minutes tight in second half and the rest should be history.

LMR said:
Pool to choke on Sunday. This will be different type of pressure, which they will need to handle due to the anniversary. They will be expected to deliver and their fans will be expecting a big performance.

Don't concede in the first 20 minutes and play possession game. Keep first 10 minutes tight in second half and the rest should be history.

Certain players, like Gerrard and Suarez, won't choke. They're just not the type, and in Suarez I truly believe Liverpool have a world class talent. However you do have to wonder how the likes of Sturridge, Sterling, Henderson, Flanagan etc will cope with the pressure, and with a side like City. You can't really list any City players and question their ability to cope with the big occasion, we've got a squad filled with successful players who are used to playing in high profile games, theRE are a great number of this Liverpool side that are limited in their experience of real pressure on the football pitch.

In my daily post a RAWK's pre match build up fred

Went on the bluemoon forum. There are some proper scummy c*nts. Talking about the spirit of Wankly and saying how Hillsborough commemoration match should be cancelled because we caused Heysel or some shit like that.

Wtf is with that? Some times I find this forum gets on my tits but at least there is a bit of class. I hope we smash those twats and they go home fucking crying.

EXPLAIN YERSELF FETTERS!!!!!!!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-title-hype-astonishing-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... tonishing-</a>

Sorry if already posted.

Comment: Liverpool title hype astonishing but City have more quality

Apr 10, 2014 06:00
Opinion
by StuartBrennan

253 Shares
Tweet
+1
Email

Liverpool are being built up as the favourites for this season's Premier League with one pundit saying they "deserve" to win the title, but don't write City off yet, argues Stuart Brennan.

Should Liverpool be presented with the Premier League trophy before or after kick-off on Sunday … what do you think?

Because if you have been reading national papers, or watching the telly for the past three or four weeks, the Scousers have the title in the bag.

That is no reflection on Brendan Rodgers, his players or, indeed, most of their fans, who seem to be approaching Sunday’s Anfield showdown with City with a mixture of nervous hope and downright apprehension.

But the media overload on Liverpool has been astonishing.

In one aspect it is understandable. With heart-rending stories of loss and despicable injustice emerging from the Hillsborough hearing on a daily basis, it is understandable that many neutrals are willing Liverpool on to their first title for 24 years.

Anything that offers even crumbs of comfort to the bereaved, and those whose lives were touched by that terrible day in 1989, has to be a good thing.

And the fact City go to Anfield on a day that will be raw with emotion, as the 96 dead are remembered, adds another dimension to the match.

The parallels with 2008, when City fans were impeccable at Old Trafford to mark the 50th anniversary of the Munich air crash yet their players remained focused enough to win the match, are obvious.

But the sympathy engendered by memories of Hillsborough is only part of the story.

One national newspaper columnist argued that Liverpool ‘deserve’ to win the title, although the writer - a certain Jamie Redknapp - did not expand on his statement.

It is true that Liverpool play excellent, attractive football, and purists always prefer a footballing team to a pragmatic, dull outfit like Chelsea.

But if you look at the season as a whole, and don’t just retain a goldfish-like recall of the last few weeks, City have been the team of the season.

In the deep midwinter, they were smashing teams – six past Spurs and Arsenal, seven past Norwich, five at Spurs.

Click the gallery below for all the City goalscorers in wins over Liverpool from last 50 years

Liverpool v City: M.E.N &amp; Echo rate the squads

Ten reasons City can beat Liverpool

View gallery

"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"

City goalscorers against Liverpool
View gallery

And, while Liverpool have also been scoring for fun, to suggest the Blues’ brand of football does not merit the title is churlish.

The fact that Redknapp is just one of a horde of ex-Liverpool players who have swamped the TV gantries, radio studios and newspaper columns in this country tells part of the story.

Mark Lawrenson, Alan Hansen, Phil Thompson, Michael Owen, Danny Murphy, Steve McManaman, David James, Kevin Keegan, Steve Nicol, Stan Collymore, Graeme Souness, Jamie Carragher … the list is endless.

It is also true that Liverpool winning the title, after finishing seventh last season, and finally handing Scouse icon and national team captain Steven Gerrard the trophy, has a romance about it.

But the curious argument that Liverpool have ‘built’ their team, rather than ‘bought’ it, is rot.

No-one would seriously argue that City have not bought their way to success.

But that is the way of the Premier League world – every single league title since 1993 -and beyond - has been bought.

And, while Liverpool do have a couple of home-grown lads in Gerrard and Jon Flanagan, it is outrageous to suggest they have not bought their way to success.

Over the last six season Liverpool have spent £309m on players, a huge investment.

Of course, no-one at the Etihad is too bothered about the volcano of hope and expectation that is building at the other end of the East Lancs Road.

And they will be happy that City have been virtually ignored by everyone apart from the canny bookies.

The fact Liverpool have won their last nine league games gives them the momentum, goes the argument.

It seems to have escaped everyone’s attention that City have lost once since November 10, winning 15 and drawing three of their 19 games in that period.

In the same period, Liverpool have lost three times, although they have not suffered a reverse since losing to City and Chelsea at Christmas.

The fact is, both teams go into the game in great nick, and the winner will be the team that wants the win most on the day.

All things being equal, the Blues have the greater quality throughout their team – it is fair to say the only Liverpool players who might displace their City counterparts from a combined team are Martin Skrtel for Martin Demichelis and Luis Suarez for Edin Dzeko.

Forget the sentimentality, the fact is that whoever wins Sunday’s match WILL deserve to win the title.

Kun Aguero said:
In my daily post a RAWK's pre match build up fred

Went on the bluemoon forum. There are some proper scummy c*nts. Talking about the spirit of Wankly and saying how Hillsborough commemoration match should be cancelled because we caused Heysel or some shit like that.

Wtf is with that? Some times I find this forum gets on my tits but at least there is a bit of class
. I hope we smash those twats and they go home fucking crying.

EXPLAIN YERSELF FETTERS!!!!!!!
Classy alright, glossing over Heysel to such an extent that one of their pig ignorant fans doesn't even know what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.