Manchester City Women (merged)

Instant_Offense said:
Fantastic result. The match quality was better than I anticipated and always nice to see City win a trophy. Moving forward, and considering what seems to be a total investment by CFG, should we expect some internationals on the ladies side? I noticed Arsenal had many more foreign stars-specifically the Japanese WC winners. As an American, I would love to see couple of Yanks recruited. We offer nothing that would effect the men's squad, but surely City could poach Morgan, Rapino, etc. for little more than Yaya's weekly wage.

Alex Morgan would look great in City blue. The professional women's leagues here in the US are completely off the sporting radar and I'd much rather see our internationals in the WSL.

Congrats to to MCWFC on the League Cup!

Thoroughly enjoyed the result last night - found that I got just as stressed watching our girls as I do watching the lads during the match though! I haven't watched too much women's football so far, but there's no doubt that the total integration of all our teams into the club and group has raised the profile of, and interest in, our women's team as well as the others. Well done City, but especially well done our girls. I watched the Chelsea game last Sunday and was impressed by the quality and last night thought we were under pressure for the first 45 mins (though they didn't really create much) but thoroughly deserved the win by the end. Toni Duggan looks a cut above, as she did last Sunday, and Steph Houghton has something about her style that reminds me strongly of Vinnie, but, even without these two, it's an excellent team.

Well done, girls. Brilliant!

BlueAnorak said:
Congratulation to the women! Under the cosh a bit in the first half but grew into the game and the cross for the winner was amazing.

The BBC commentary annoyed me quite a bit as, as Gary says, an MCFC womens' team has been around for quite a long time. Yes it has been relaunched by the club over the last two (mens') season but it isn't new.

Yes, the City women's team had fought its way up to the second tier of the women's game and were making progress even before the relationship with MCFC assumed its current form. The team most likely wouldn't be where it now is without that MCFC involvement, which has facilitated the recruitment of some top women players and convinced the authorities to make it part of the revamped WSL top flight this season. However, it's a bit disrespectful to talk as if the City women's team has come from nowhere.

Anyway, a more than satisfactory first top-flight season IMO. A respectable mid-table finish, a trophy, and best supported team in the league (at least according to yesterday's Evening News online). Hopefully, they're well set to go on and enjoy more success.

Huge congratulations to the girls. Done themselves and the club proud.

Even abroad we were able to see it. And it was a joy to watch. Well done to the women and despite a tricky first 45 minutes they fully deserved the victory and the silverware.

The women-team is yet another success-story within the holistic approach from the club. Even if they wouldn't have won it yesterday. Yet ... they did win it !!

It might not literally be the first season for a City women's team but realistically it is the first since we got into the real top flight to compete against the likes of Arsenal etc. There has been a massive overhaul of players with some big and maybe medium names coiming in to build a team around.

Steph Houghton,Karen Bardsley,Jill Scott and Toni Duggan are the spine of the team and all top class players and England internationals but then there are Izzie Christiansen, Betsy Hasset brought in early on to bolster the team and squad which was otherwise made up from existing City players. To start with only a few were full time and training every day but that has changed so that now all the main squad are full time ( I hope that's right) and it has made a difference.

I believe part of the downside to that is 1 or 2 who could not commit to the full time status are left behind and no longer involved which is sad but maybe the argument is it had to happen. Maybe also the way it happened could have been handled better.

The development of some of the players has been noticeable to me.And perhaps none more so than Georgia Brougham and Keira Walsh.Neither were involved in pre season with the main squad or in the early games. Neither were eveen mentioned in the cup final programme!! But both played and played very well at the tender ages apparently of 18 and 17 respectively.

Gary James said:
cleavers said:
Gary James said:
The team were filmed by World In Action as a positive story on the growth of the women's game and those women travelled all over at their own expense to help the club and game develop.

I believe there was also a short feature on Timmy Mallett's Wide Awake Club Gary, but would need to check this. There was definitely a feature on one of the morning children's programmes.

Absolutly made up for the girls. Totally deserved something from the season and the joy on there faces at winning whilst representing the club i love was just beautiful. Singing BM as well. I follow a few of the girls on twitter and they have fully bought into what City are trying to do....#together is always present when talking about games and they do appear a happy bunch who have a laugh and enjoy being part of the club. They watch the EDS and vice versa. Im sure the "bantz" is epic. And im sure when they move into the CFA they will feel even more connected with our great club.

I went the first game of the season and City are trying. Mini City square with Nat Pike etc and comps. Loads of kids there and prices are cheap. You also plenty of girls junior training nights as City are obviously looking at local talent and a girls academy must be just around the corner and Jill Scott replied to a tweet of mine saying the girls cant wait to play at the Minihad. I will probs get a SC for them next season as there progression is fascinating. The football is honest and we try and play the right way and of course if the ball goes out of play you can always look at how fit Tip Top Toni is.

I hope next season more of you give it try, take the kids,its cheap as chips, its live footy and they wont have some of the inbuilt misgivings of girls footy many of us old fuckers still do have.

I hope if we win a trophy this year and have a parade, the girls get a bus to parade there trophy around too at the same time. But coming to understand how City think nowadays i reckon thats a no brainer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.