Mancini Interview BBC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Bobby takes the credit ...

BobKowalski said:
ZabbaStuntDouble said:
Will never forget what he did for City, but could say Erikksson and Hughes had a hand building this City team too.

I was a big fan of Sven and his (brief) time here but I think its stretching it a tad to say he had a hand in building this City team. Hughes has more of a case if only by unselfishly demonstrating what not to do when handed a large wedge of cash and the brief 'Go spend and make us Champions'
A large amount of players he signed were in the team that won the FA Cup and League and one is our captain

Same old usual argument of "should have signed Van Persie". The rags finished on the same points last season as they did the one before so Van Persie made no difference to their overall points tally. Whilst the transfer situation was somewhat of a farce, we had to change tact in light of financial fairplay. That is why we signed Negredo and Jovetic rather than Isco and Cavani (although player preferences had something to do with Isco).

You manage the team you have, Mancini wanted to leave City because he wants to work somewhere with money. Now it still requires good management to turn a team with resources into a winning side. But I think if Mancini had have had to deal with injuries and loss of form to the extent we have suffered this season, and had to shuffle the squad, the mentality and quality would have suffered. We have managed to keep up performances and results despite changing so many players. Milner, Dzeko, Garcia and Lescott were part of a side 2-0 down in Munich that ended up winning. Pellegrini has implemented a style of play and philosophy that is able to function well no matter who is playing. I remember games under Mancini when the loss of one player would cause significant failings.

Man management was what we needed to take us to the next level. I will always look fondly back on our time under Mancini he won us the FA Cup and the league and ended our trophy drought so credit to him. But I am more than happy he is elsewhere and we have a new man in charge.

Re: Bobby takes the credit ...

BobKowalski said:
ZabbaStuntDouble said:
Will never forget what he did for City, but could say Erikksson and Hughes had a hand building this City team too.

I was a big fan of Sven and his (brief) time here but I think its stretching it a tad to say he had a hand in building this City team. Hughes has more of a case if only by unselfishly demonstrating what not to do when handed a large wedge of cash and the brief 'Go spend and make us Champions'

i know its a stretch ... but didn't Sven bring in Hart from Shrewsbury and courted Zabba in February before we replaced him with Hughes in the summer of that year?

But tbh, i wonder how many of Mancini's signings, were actually down to him? Seems to be a trend that the board chooses the players and the 'coach' has to make a team with them. Credit to Mancini if that's what he did, but he has to take the blame for under performing last season, which cost him his job.

silvasleftleg said:
Mancini failed to get the best out of the squad. Anyone can buy players, but not everyone can get the best out of them.

It is silly to suggest that the success this season is down to him when Pellegrini's new signing Navas is the top assister and Negredo is our top scorer. Nasri is like a new signing as well.
Really?!

Hart was out on loan at Birmingham and would probably have been sold before Mancini came to us, Zabaleta was a decent full back, Kompany was a good defensive midfielder...Hart became England #1 and classed as up with some of the best in the world come the title winning season, Zabaleta became a world class RB by last season, Kompany became one of the best two CHs in the world...Richards, Lescott, Clichy, Barry, de Jong, A.Johnson all played the best football of their careers under Mancini...the 23 year old Kun scored 30 goals in his first season in England (not achieved by any U23 in their first season in England before)...we won the FA Cup and Premier League titles.

Plus while Kolarov Nasri and Edin look like new players under Pellegrini (who i like by the way), Clichy Nastasic and Lescott look like worse players under him which suggests Mancini got the best out of them.

With a squad our size and quality over the time with him, and the injury record last season, i would have probably expected us to win one Prem title and two domestic cups and we nearly did that.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
alberto0292 said:
General football forum? LOL
Where should it be then?

Bluemoon Forum ............. or at least a shadow post in there to say that it's been moved in here ....... or folks will think no one knows about it and think as its 'City' related, they'll start a new thread about it.

BillyShears said:
lancs blue said:
Sure his abrasive manner didn't please everyone but I think it needed that kind of approach to knock a winning mentality into the club, I just cannot understand why some posters insist on belittling everything he did at City.

It's not about belittling everything he did. It's about belittling him for not having the self awareness or respect for our owners to acknowledge their contribution to our rapid rise. Mancini's "it was all me" narrative stinks. What makes it worse is that these players he's lauding and calling his own signings now, how many of them did he want to sell because he could no longer work with them ?

None of this should preclude him from rightfully being proud of the work he carried out at City and for playing his part in our recent success. But he played a part. He couldn't have built anything without the core group he had when he arrived, and without the unstinting support of Khaldoon and Sheikh Mansour in allowing him to pick freely from the top shelf to fill his squad.

Here we go again. I think we have to realise that BBC interviews, Guardian reports and so on don't reach Paris, or they do only in their carefully edited versions. At no point was anything mentioned about the role of the Sheikh or Khaldoon, either in his time or now. I think you'll struggle to find a mention in recent interviews with Pellegrini. You will find that the only questions Mancini was asked concerned how he felt about his work in Manchester, about reports that he had lost the dressing room and about reports in the press saying that Pellegrini's team is much more attractive than his had been. Unsurprisingly he did not launch int a study of the Sheikh's involvement in the club yesterday, today and tomorrow. When asked about comparison's with Pellegrini's team he said that he was "very happy" because the players were those he had bought. No doubt you, Billy, jump on his claims that "he" bought them as a sign of treachery to the Sheikh, but nobody else does. He did, indisputably, play an enormous role in the building of the team. When he arrived at the club Joe Hart was on loan at Birmingham with no recall clause: Mancini got him back at the end of the season and put him in goal for the first game of the 2010-11 season against Spurs and he has remained first choice until now, with one blip. Vinnie Kompany had been injured before Christmas 2009 and had played under Hughes as a DM: Mancini immediately played him as CB and he grew to be one of the best in the world. Silva, YaYa, Nasri, Dzeko and Aguero all joined while Mancini was manager. It is right to point out that Fernandinho and Negredo came last summer and they are important elements in our spine, but Fernandinho's transfer had been in the pipeline since January 2013. I give Pellegrini credit for giving the final OK to his signing and I think signing Negredo was a stroke of genius, for which I give Pellegrini full credit. You though, Billy, must, of course, be qualified with a short statement explaining Txiki's and the Sheikh's role in the transfers. So we find that your idea that the interview shows an "it was all me" narrative is yet another example of your blind, unreasoning hatred of a central figure in our club's history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.