Mancini Interview BBC

Status
Not open for further replies.
BobKowalski said:
lancs blue said:
... I just cannot understand why some posters insist on belittling everything he did at City.

And by extension it also belittles the club's achievements and progress which has been nothing short of astonishing considering the state we were in when the takeover happened; with said progress gathering pace every year both on and off the pitch.
Don't use "said" in that context Bob ffs. You're better than that mate.

eastmanc said:
When Bob came to City I thought his football was too negative but now realise that he was right, as this was what was needed at the time to help us progress as a club. The football we played in the season we won the championship was brilliant and not a million miles away from what we are producing at the moment. Mancini is a true City legend in my eyes. Thank you Bobby Manc.
This

It's unfortunate that all good things must come to an end, but in Mancini's defence, the Manchester City he inherited is a world away from the one bequeathed to Pellegrini. Having said that you can only play the hand you are dealt and Pellegrini has played his brilliantly so far.

I just don't get why certain sections on here cannot understand that the current Manchester City team wasn't built from scratch at the beginning of this season, it evolved from the team that Mancini built which in turn evolved from the team that Hughes built. So whilst Pellegrini must rightly take all the present plaudits, tipping our hats to the massive contribution made by Mancini and to a lesser extent Hughes for helping to shape this present team is more than fair IMHO.

I'm very happy with the job he did with us. He completely changed us from simply a club with potential because we had money to an actual proper top club with a winning mentality.

He inherited a lot of players other clubs didn't want, players who weren't good enough and a number of trouble makers and whingey arseholes. He got rid of many of them and i think had he stayed he would have finished that job off. He helped turn players that looked half decent-to-good before he arrived into world class players. He helped us to win trophies! You can bring up any negative about him you want but they will never outweigh those positives.

I think he would have had more successful years with us had Begiristain not come in had he been left as the manager of City. But, really, i think it was time for someone like Begiristain (and for him to bring in a coach like Pellegrini) to come in and push us up to that next level of club. Mancini's style of management was never going to work well with someone like Begiristain there so it was time for him to go.

It's a shame that football players cannot take a good telling off when it's deserved and that they see their arses over it. Shows some very poor personality traits, that. But that may not be a problem in the future as we have a more calm and thought out approach to things when they go wrong and need improving. But a number of our players went right down in my estimations when things were coming out about them and Mancini through the Summer after he'd left.

I do not agree with Mancini there when he said that Robin van Persie was the difference last season. They finished on the same number of points and scored fewer goals than the season before, whereas we had a number of injuries which crippled us at times, some of our players let Mancini and us fans down with some very poor performances and attitudes shown, and he himself got a number of things wrong. I think they were a bigger difference than the Rags buying one player.

Overall, it was time for a change in coaching philosophy at City but Mancini made us a winning club and for that i will always love him.

Cheers Bobby Manc!

Bobby takes the credit ...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25836477" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25836477</a>

Roberto Mancini: I built current Manchester City team

Former Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini says he has played his part in the team's success this season.

Current boss Manuel Pellegrini has been credited with making City - who have scored 106 goals already this season - more attacking.

But Galatasaray coach Mancini, who left City last summer, says it is the players he bought who are responsible.

"I'm happy that Manchester City is one of the best teams in England because I built this team," Mancini, 49, said.

"The players that score the goals are players that I bought - Sergio Aguero, Edin Dzeko, Yaya Toure, David Silva and Samir Nasri."

After Mancini's departure, City recruited the likes of midfielder Fernandinho and striker Alvaro Negredo, who has already scored 23 goals in his first season.

Pellegrini is targeting an unprecedented quadruple of Premier League, Champions League, FA Cup and Capital One Cup.

The Chilean boss has secured City's path to the knockout stages of the Champions League, something Mancini failed to do in two attempts.

Former Lazio and Inter Milan boss Mancini, who joined City in December 2009, guided the team to success in the FA Cup in 2011 and the Premier League title a year later.

But after reportedly falling out with some of his players last season, he said he held no bitterness towards City over his sacking last summer, just days after his side were beaten by Wigan Athletic in the FA Cup final at Wembley.

"When you work, you know you can have some problem with the players, this is normal because the manager wants the players to work hard, play well and the players should understand this," he said.

"When you change the manager, it is better maybe, because you change the way to work.

"I think Pellegrini is doing a good job but what is happening now at Manchester City, we did three years ago. It's the same."

The Italian added: "I'm very happy about what I did in Manchester, I love the Manchester City supporters and I had a fantastic experience.

"After four or five years, maybe the manager needs to change team. I did my job, I built a fantastic team, we played fantastic football and we didn't win last year only because Manchester United bought Robin van Persie.

"He was the difference, if not I think that would have changed the history in Manchester over the last three years. We played really good football and now they are continuing to do this."

Mancini said City's form this season means that Manchester United need to restructure their squad if they are to continue to compete at the top of the Premier League alongside the likes of Chelsea and his former club.

"After many years, it's the time to refresh the team," he told BBC World Service. "Chelsea changed and bought some new players, City bought four or five new players."

But he also said he has sympathy for United manager David Moyes after their disappointing start to the season.

"He worked for 10 years at Everton and he did a really good job," said Mancini. "He is a good manager and I don't think he needs my advice.

Former Everton boss Moyes replaced Sir Alex Ferguson last summer following a period of unprecedented success for the club.

Mancini added it would be "difficult" for anyone to follow Ferguson and lead a club used to competing for major titles every season.

Will never forget what he did for City, but could say Erikksson and Hughes had a hand building this City team too.

Re: Bobby takes the credit ...

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=296380&start=90" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=14&t=296380&start=90</a>
say the mods are delighted with mancini today!

BillyShears said:
lancs blue said:
Sure his abrasive manner didn't please everyone but I think it needed that kind of approach to knock a winning mentality into the club, I just cannot understand why some posters insist on belittling everything he did at City.

It's not about belittling everything he did. It's about belittling him for not having the self awareness or respect for our owners to acknowledge their contribution to our rapid rise. Mancini's "it was all me" narrative stinks. What makes it worse is that these players he's lauding and calling his own signings now, how many of them did he want to sell because he could no longer work with them ?

None of this should preclude him from rightfully being proud of the work he carried out at City and for playing his part in our recent success. But he played a part. He couldn't have built anything without the core group he had when he arrived, and without the unstinting support of Khaldoon and Sheikh Mansour in allowing him to pick freely from the top shelf to fill his squad.
I don't think he's displaying an "it was all me" narrative. He said that he is pleased we're doing so well now, one, because he's pleased for us fans and, two, because a number of the players who are making us so good now are players he brought to this club. There's nowt wrong with saying that. But of course you'd find something wrong wherever Mancini utters any words. Anyway all managers are going to big themselves up in some way, and what he said and the way he said it doesn't "stink".

KippaxCitizen said:
BillyShears said:
lancs blue said:
Sure his abrasive manner didn't please everyone but I think it needed that kind of approach to knock a winning mentality into the club, I just cannot understand why some posters insist on belittling everything he did at City.

It's not about belittling everything he did. It's about belittling him for not having the self awareness or respect for our owners to acknowledge their contribution to our rapid rise. Mancini's "it was all me" narrative stinks. What makes it worse is that these players he's lauding and calling his own signings now, how many of them did he want to sell because he could no longer work with them ?

None of this should preclude him from rightfully being proud of the work he carried out at City and for playing his part in our recent success. But he played a part. He couldn't have built anything without the core group he had when he arrived, and without the unstinting support of Khaldoon and Sheikh Mansour in allowing him to pick freely from the top shelf to fill his squad.
I don't think he's displaying an "it was all me" narrative. He said that he is pleased we're doing so well now, one, because he's pleased for us fans and, two, because a number of the players who are making us so good now are players he brought to this club. There's nowt wrong with saying that. But of course you'd find something wrong wherever Mancini utters any words. Anyway all managers are going to big themselves up in some way, and what he said and they way he said it doesn't "stink".
I think the headlines chosen by the media to summarise the interview's content here might be prejudicing people's view of what Bobby actually said....

aguero93:20 said:
I think the headlines chosen by the media to summarise the interview's content here might be prejudicing people's view of what Bobby actually said....

What? Bobby giving the papers a story they didn't have before and making headlines whilst admiring the sound of his own voice and massaging his own ego ?

Nah ... I don't believe it! :)

gordondaviesmoustache said:
BobKowalski said:
lancs blue said:
... I just cannot understand why some posters insist on belittling everything he did at City.

And by extension it also belittles the club's achievements and progress which has been nothing short of astonishing considering the state we were in when the takeover happened; with said progress gathering pace every year both on and off the pitch.
Don't use "said" in that context Bob ffs. You're better than that mate.

Its a fair cop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.